• April 27, 2024, 04:02:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Super-slow transfer speeds, < 200KB/s  (Read 8561 times)

8vgumby

• Level 1 Member
Super-slow transfer speeds, < 200KB/s
« on: February 08, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »

I'm unsure what is wrong with my share center.  I installed it yesterday, updated the firmware and popped in a brand new 3TB WD Green drive.  I transferred 500GB via USB which took around 7 hours.  When I try to transfer from my laptop to the drive, at best I get 200kB/s but an average of about 70kB/s.  What gives?

- Windows 7 64 bit
- LAN computer to computer network transfer speeds are well over 1MB/s

albert

• Level 5 Member
    • SoHo NAS Forum
Re: Super-slow transfer speeds, < 200KB/s
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »

Are there any other PC active when you were transferring files? Active as in doing P2P download/streaming or other data transfer.
D-Link DNS-320 rev A1 (FW: 2.05) [FFP-0.7]
PCI NAS-01G (FW: Encore ENNHD-1000 4.10)
PCI NAS-01G (FW: OpenNAS 1.9]

8vgumby

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 08:11:21 PM »

I isolated that pretty well.  I powered down everything including my printer.  The only devices connected are the DNS-320 and my laptop.  I said screw it since it's 10pm, I'll just select some files to transfer. 

After 10 minutes, steady state was reached at nearly 250kB/s.  For giggles, I started a second transfer running along the first.  It started at zero and slowly crept up to 250kB/s, and by slowly I mean it literally went from 6 bytes/s to single digit kB. 

In the end, I have two transfers going on right now, both at 250kB/s.  Yet neither is capable of clearing that limit independently.

Additionally, the server has no issue streaming HD videos to my PS while running both transfers at 250kB/s.  Clearly the bandwidth is there.

Also, let me tack on this little nugget of unrelated goodness.  Is it normal that I am not seeing any play times for video files under the PS3?  If I use the windows media server and reference the DNS-320 I see play times on the PS3.  If I use the "PS3-Media-Server" software I get the same results.  But all video files directly viewed under the DNS-320 show a dash, "-", where the time should be.

HTH

albert

• Level 5 Member
    • SoHo NAS Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »

Use NASTester to narrow down the cause, you should be getting around 11MBps on FE connection and 30MBps on GE.
D-Link DNS-320 rev A1 (FW: 2.05) [FFP-0.7]
PCI NAS-01G (FW: Encore ENNHD-1000 4.10)
PCI NAS-01G (FW: OpenNAS 1.9]

hoppo1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:01:03 AM »

Check you are connected at 1gb in the settings and also on the router. Also check the cable make sure it's cat 5e or higher / swap the cable. What's transfer rates coming from the dlink? you mention streaming. if it was that slow then you would struggle.

another possible is anti-virus aggressively scanning the files. Disable AV and anything else on the pc that might intercept files and try that.

Good luck.

8vgumby

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:05:07 AM »

I'll try to run NAStester in the next few days.

FWIW, I tried to transfer about 30 gigs worth of data last night, it eventually had both transfers running at nearly 400KB/s.  When I woke up, neither were finished and they were both around 170KB/s.  Again, it did direct USB and crunched 500 gigs in under 7 hours.  So the HDD connection and HDD are not the issue, its something on the network side.

I don't run antivirus software, and I'm connected on a 100Mbit link, which as mentioned by albert should get me well over 1MB speeds. I was originally using my old cat5e cable, but I switched to the supplied blue cable and had no change. 

How do I check transfer rates coming from dlink?  It flawlessly streams x264 HD video to PS3 WHILE transfering these files all super-slow.  But that's not limiting it.  Turn off the PS3, turn off everything but dlink and laptop and you get what happened last night, it just sitting at ~170kB/s.

hoppo1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:31:22 AM »

Is the PS3 wired or wireless? If it streams HD no problem that suggests networking should be ok.

If the PS3 wired then can you plug your machine into the port used by the ps3 see if that makes any difference?

If the PS3 is wireless do you see better results wireless on laptop?

what happens if you copy files from the NAS to your laptop? it should be quicker anyway as the hardware better but what results do you get going that way?

what's the network setup? I assume you have a hub with probably 4 ports on the back and everything plugs into that so dlink and laptop plugged into same hub?

8vgumby

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:47:59 AM »

I'll try to answer what I can since I'm not home:

I have 4G Wireless internet access from Clear which is basically a single 802.11B/G/N device with a single 10/100 Mbit port.  All my devices are connected wirelessly via G/N connections.  The DNS is hardwired directly into the RJ-45.  Prior to installing the dlink, the PS3 was hardwired into the router.

Also, prior to dlink I was able to transfer wirelessly with 5+MB speeds from PC to PC.  I had no streaming issues either going from wireless-N to the hardwired 100mbit Cat-5 connection.  Only thing that changed is I unpluged the PS3, reconfigured that to run wireless (no issues) and plugged in the NAS.

This cannot be the limiting factor as I've also hard wired the PC into that port via a cat-5 in the past and have received the same 5MB transfer speeds from PC to PC.

I have another freebee option that I'm willing to try.  I have a netgear B/G wi-fi router with 4-port hub.  I'm wondering if I can disconnect everything from the clear modem, hardwire the router to the modem in the traditional sense, then connect the PS3 and NAS via CAT-5 and the laptops would then be on a G connection (fast enough for me).  The issue is not NAS --> PS3, its NAS --> PC.  They would still be going through the same configuration only the PC would be in G-mode instead of N and the NAS would step up to a 1000 connection from a 100.  But in the end, how is this any different?  100 should get me well over 1MB speeds, it seems like a redundant device, unless the clear modem is just a crappy router in general and can't handle 100+MB file sizes very well.

8vgumby

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 04:45:20 PM »

Found the problem.  It's my lack of a true router.  The Clear modem simply doesn't function as an effective router.  I have a semi-broken linksys router (no longer supports wifi).  It is completely capable of giving me 5-6MB speeds if I hardwire my laptop to that router. 

Needless to say, I'm now in the market for a router.