• May 22, 2024, 06:55:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Best Practice  (Read 4100 times)

klind

• Level 1 Member
Best Practice
« on: May 08, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »

I have two D-Link routers, a DGL-4300 Wireless + 4-port and a DGL-4100 4-port. I have always had these routers connected with the wireless 4300 first and the 4100 WAN side plugged into a LAN port on the 4300 with each router in a different subnet. I felt that this provided some security because the hosts directly connected to the wireless router could not ping the hosts connected down line on the 4100 router. However, I now need to change everything to a single subnet, but I still need all the ports. What is the best way to connect these routers together in order to use all the available wired ports in a single subnet?

thanx,

ken

Doctor Doom

• Level 3 Member
Re: Best Practice
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:52:58 AM »

On the second router, log in and go to basic and LAN. Change the LAN IP to 192.168.0.2 (or any IP available on your subnet), click save settings then to go DHCP and disable the DHCP server and then save settings.

Then connect router to router from LAN port to LAN port. Don't use the WAN port on the second router.