• April 25, 2024, 02:30:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can connect to LAN thru DGS-1100-16 switch but can't get internet  (Read 4876 times)

883robert

Can connect to LAN thru DGS-1100-16 switch but can't get internet
« on: September 02, 2014, 12:41:32 AM »

Hi
Newcomer to the forum here, driven by desperate need for guidance.
I have a workgroup home network that was working fine until the switch stopped working. I replaced it with a D-Link DGS 1100-16 smart switch thinking I could grow into it and learn more about networking at the same time. Yet to come.
Previously I'd had:
Cable modem to Cyberguard CG300 router to 8-port switch (forget the brand) to various resources such as pc's, network printers, NAS's. It all worked. Cable modem was DHCP server.
When I tried to replicate this with the D-Link switch I could access resources from the pc's but had no internet connection. This was the case when I disabled the modem's DHCP server and pc's used static IP's.
Now I have:
Cable modem to pc, and also cable modem to D-Link switch with resources connecting via switch. Resources are visible from pc and pc has internet access, which I'd expect as it's connected direct to a port on the cable modem. Oddly though, it takes an hour or two after power up for the pc to get internet access.
My question: Why do I have no internet access for a pc which is connected to the cable modem via the DGS switch?
I've prepared a pdf drawing of both arrangements but can't see how to upload the file to the forum.
Thanks for your help guys.
Robert
Melbourne, Australia