• April 23, 2024, 01:35:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-655 displays as DIR-855!  (Read 3338 times)

RoutingAround

• Level 1 Member
DIR-655 displays as DIR-855!
« on: September 22, 2014, 05:05:33 AM »

For the first time yesterday, I temporarily set up "guest" access to my internet connection on my DIR-655 router. This is the mode where an entirely separate wireless LAN is (software) created; setting it up is via the "Advanced" menu. Anyway, that MOSTLY worked fine except the lack of DHCP (it's purposefully turned off on our router) didn't allow my guest to easily connect correctly to the router (she got "connected" but couldn't set her own device to the appropriate hard-coded values like IP, gateway, etc).

So we gave up and I decided to disable the "guest" feature for the the time being.

During the manipulation of the DIR-655 router's setting, however, the top-of-page information about the router changed from the expected-and-always-there:

Product Page: DIR-655   Firmware Version: 1.37NA   Hardware Version: A4

to:

Product Page: DIR-855   Firmware Version: 1.12   Hardware Version: A2

!!!

And this anomaly remained across multiple different router pages (including the Status pages)!

It should be noted that the PC I was changing the configuration of the router with does NOT have wireless enabled and is hard-wired via cable to the router, so it's not like I was suddenly into someone else's router - no, it was my DIR-655 pretending to be a DIR-855!

Okay, so I noticed this strangeness, wrote down what was being displayed at the top of each page, then exited and reran my browser, "surfing" over to the router's configuration pages. At this point the top of page information had reverted back to "DIR-655" etc. I was not able to change configuration in any way that would bring back the DIR-855 spoofing.

So...has anyone else seen this? Is the DIR-655 really a DIR-855 under the covers and, via some minor bug, I got it to display THAT side of its identity accidently?

========
I have the 1.37NA "BIN" file for the router and tried to run "strings" on it to see if there was any evidence that there were DIR-855 guts in the software however strings returned NO readable text. I assume the binary has the strings obfuscated in some manner (I have no idea the format of a "BIN" file).

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-655 displays as DIR-855!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:08:03 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
  • What region are you located?
  • Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch? If not I recommend you reload v1.37 using this process>
FW Update Process
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

PC Web Browser Configurations
What browser are you using?
Try Opera or FF? If IE 8, 9, 10 or 11, set compatibility mode and test again.
Disable any security browser Add-ons like No Script and Ad-Block or configure them to allow All Pages when connected to the router.
Clear all browser caches.
Be sure to log into the Admin account on the router.
Try turning off these features in Chrome:
Top right corner, little bars for options > Settings > Settings (on left) > Show advanced settings.
Uncheck these:
Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors
Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar
Predict network actions to improve page load performance
Enable phishing and malware protection

When using Guest Zone, client devices should be connecting to the router using automatic networking settings. Use NO Static settings. If DHCP is turned OFF on the router, it should be turn ON as Guest Zone requires the use of DHCP and the WAN port. If you have the 655 running in AP mode with out DHCP, then Guest Zone will not work in this configuration. It requires DCHP and the WAN port to be useful.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

RoutingAround

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »

While any response is appreciated, I may have mislead readers with that first background blurb on setting up "guest" access.

My post wasn't about "guest" access, but instead the very strange behavior of the DIR-655 router identifying itself as a DIR-855 router, including an entirely different hardware AND software revision, and doing so across multiple page accesses.

Anyway, I'm in the process of grabbing some software for a Raspberry Pi that'll allow me to properly read the contents of the ".bin" file mentioned above - apparently that file contains a zip file that contains a CPIO file that contains an entire Linux file system (!!!). After I extract that I can find out the strings and see where it mentions "DIR-855" in what is supposed to be a DIR-655 implementation. I'm still assuming a temporary glitch of some type (not a good thing) caused the DIR-655 to point at the incorrect information internal to its own software implementation - it was bizarre to see.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »

What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the phsyical router.

The .bin file is just a binary container for all the FW that gets loaded on routers which they process. There should be preventative limits in place on all routers that prevents loading of other model router FW on wrong models if one attempts to do this...

I would verify that you have loaded or downloaded the correct file version for your model router. Please verify with the sticker under the router to which model and HW version the router is and post it here please.

Please let us know which region you are located so we can direct you to the correct FW file source for model router and your region.

We we establish correct model information and FW versioning, and ensure that FW is re-loaded on the router, we can address the Guest zone issue.

While any response is appreciated, I may have mislead readers with that first background blurb on setting up "guest" access.

My post wasn't about "guest" access, but instead the very strange behavior of the DIR-655 router identifying itself as a DIR-855 router, including an entirely different hardware AND software revision, and doing so across multiple page accesses.

Anyway, I'm in the process of grabbing some software for a Raspberry Pi that'll allow me to properly read the contents of the ".bin" file mentioned above - apparently that file contains a zip file that contains a CPIO file that contains an entire Linux file system (!!!). After I extract that I can find out the strings and see where it mentions "DIR-855" in what is supposed to be a DIR-655 implementation. I'm still assuming a temporary glitch of some type (not a good thing) caused the DIR-655 to point at the incorrect information internal to its own software implementation - it was bizarre to see.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:07:50 PM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.