The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DCS-932L

DCS-932L - Wireless vs. Wired

(1/2) > >>

JavaLawyer:
I'm looking to purchase the DCS-932L and would like to know from other owners whether the on-board wireless is adequate for streaming or gets bogged down.  If I make this purchase, the DCS-932L will connect wirelessly to a DIR-615 approximately 7 feet away with no significant obstructions.

JavaLawyer:
Anyone?

Mackerel:
Single Camera, no other 'users' doing heavy traffic? Probably good enough, but not comparable to wired...

JavaLawyer:

--- Quote from: Mackerel on May 04, 2011, 06:34:58 PM ---Single Camera, no other 'users' doing heavy traffic? Probably good enough, but not comparable to wired...

--- End quote ---

If we assume a single camera and no other wireless traffic. . . will the FPS for wireless differ significantly from wired?

Thanks for your input.

Mackerel:
At 640x480@20fps you would get about 4.5 Mbps on wired. On wireless, depending on interference, security-settings you should be able to get same throughput, but experience tells me you probably will get something like 3.5-4.0 (wireless-n, WPA2, 'noisy' area and some local non-camera wireless access).

I myself, at start-up of this process, was able to get 3 920's on wireless-g no better than 320x240 with acceptable footage or 640x480@5 fps (horrible quality if you need it as video-proof after the fact).

So, single camera, no other wireless whatsoever, free channel (use INSSIDER to find free/low usage channel), wireless-n, WPA2-PSK and no major obstructions between camera and router, you should get 640x480@roughly 15 fps.
WPA2 is quite a throughput-killer... But safety comes at a price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version