• March 28, 2024, 10:57:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Some important features are lacking in DIR-868L B1 HW  (Read 12488 times)

zzq4343

• Level 1 Member
Some important features are lacking in DIR-868L B1 HW
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:51:25 AM »

DIR-868L B1 hardware uses a completely new web management interface, looks nicer than the classic one. However, some features that in the classic interface can't be found in the newer one:
(The features are lacking not only in 868L (B1), but also in more advanced 880L and 890L)

1. Settings >> Internet >> IPv4: There isn't a "Use Unicasting" in IPv4 WAN setting, which can be useful for some users.
Also, when users set their own DNS, the router shouldn't append the ISP DNS after it.

2. Settings >> Internet >> IPv6: I use 6RD for IPv6 connection (I am in Canada, using Rogers Cable), and I don't want to set IPv6 DNS, so I want to leave the DNS servers empty. In the older DIR-820L, it lets me do so and I was using IPv4 for DNS lookup (I won't be given an IPv6 DNS server). However, the newer interface doesn't let me do so. I have to input a DNS server (I am currently using Google IPv6 DNS server) which can slow down my internet a bit.
(Actually, for all the IPv6 tunnels, including 6in4, 6to4, and 6RD, the IPv6 DNS servers should be left empty, and use IPv4 for DNS lookup)

3. Settings >> Wireless: For 2.4 GHz, there isn't a option to enable or disable 20/40 MHz co-existence which can be found in my older router, and I want to disable it.
For both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz: There isn't a option to disable WPS, and there's nowhere I can choose the cipher other than "mixed WPA/WPA2", "mixed AES/TKIP".

4. Settings >> Network >> Network Settings: I want to enter a dot for "Local Domain Name". Both in my computer (Win8.1 and Linux) and in my older router let me do so. But in this newer interface, when I input a dot, it says "Text field contains illegal characters." It's legal, because I can use this in my computer.

5. Settings >> SharePort: I can't find a setting to disable USB 3.0, since it will affect the 2.4 GHz wireless range.

6. Advanced >> QoS Engine: I not only want to set priority for devices that connect to the router, but also want to set priority for applications or connecting to specific IPv4/v6 addresses and specific ports.

7. Advanced >> Firewall Settings >> Advanced: Please Add "Respond to WAN Port Ping" option, some services, such as HE.net IPv6 tunnel, validates IP addresses by sending an ICMP packet.

8. Management >> System Time: Please add "Auto enable daylight time saving", and let me to set when it starts and ends, like my older D-Link router.

9. Management >> System Log: Please add the ability to see the system log directly on the web interface.

10. (Solved) Management >> Upgrade: Please add a function to flash language packages on the router.

11. Management >> Statistics: I want to see the routing table in the router, and the table for all the internet sessions (like DIR-868L A1 HW).

And there is also a bug in the newer interface:
Go to "Home", click on "Internet", and switch to IPv6 status. If you use 6RD, it will always say "Disconnected", whether my 6RD is connected or not.
Also the "WAN IPv6 Address", "Default Gateway", "Primary DNS Server", and "Secondary DNS Server" are all not available.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:04:18 PM by zzq4343 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Some important features are lacking in DIR-868L B1 HW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:43:55 AM »

Be aware that this new UI is more simplified and some features may not be support or have been designed to run automatically. Some features may differ between the old UI and this new one. Some features may or may not be added in.

DIR-868L B1 hardware uses a completely new web management interface, looks nicer than the classic one. However, some features that in the classic interface can't be found in the newer one:
(The features are lacking not only in 868L (B1), but also in more advanced 880L and 890L)

1. Settings >> Internet >> IPv4: There isn't a "Use Unicasting" in IPv4 WAN setting, which can be useful for some users.
Also don't append the DNS servers provided by ISP to the user-defined DNS servers
Something that may no longer be supported and could be something automatically handled. I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.
Let us know how it goes please.

2. Settings >> Internet >> IPv6: I use 6RD for IPv6 connetion (I am in Canada, using Rogers Cable), and I don't want to set IPv6 DNS, so I want to leave the DNS servers empty. In the older DIR-820L, it lets me do so and I was using IPv4 for DNS lookup (I won't be given an IPv6 DNS server). However, the newer interface doesn't let me do so. I have to input a DNS server (I am currently using Google IPv6 DNS server) which can slow down my internet a bit.
(Actually, for all the IPv6 tunnels, including 6in4, 6to4, and 6RD, the IPv6 DNS servers should be left empty, and use IPv4 for DNS lookup)
I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.

3. Settings >> Wireless: For 2.4 GHz, there isn't a option to enable or disable 20/40 MHz co-existence which can be found in my older router, and I want to disable it. Something that may no longer be supported and could be something automatically handled.
For both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz: There isn't a option to disable WPS, and I can't choose the cipher other than "mixed WPA/WPA2", "mixed AES/TKIP"
4. Settings >> Network >> Network Settings: I want to enter a dot for "Local Domain Name". Both in my computer (Win8.1 and Linux) and in my older router let me do so. But in this newer interface, when I input a dot, it says "Text field contains illegal characters." It's legal, because I can use this in my computer.
Something that may no longer be supported and could be something automatically handled. I'll ask about this and see if I get any information on it. I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.

5. Settings >> SharePort: I can't find a setting to disable USB 3.0, since it will affect the 2.4 GHz wireless range.
This was a known issue on early versions of router HW. I presume that it may have been finally resolved and thus a need for this feature may have been removed. I'll ask about it.
6. Advanced >> QoS Engine: I not only want to set priority for devices that connect to the router, but also want to set priority for applications or connecting to specific IPv4/v6 addresses and specific ports. I presume that the new QoS engine is by design since the UI is going for more simplistic set up and configuration and maybe now being handled automatically in some form. I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.

7. Advanced >> Firewall Settings >> Advanced: Please Add "Respond to WAN Port Ping" option, some services, such as HE.net IPv6 tunnel, validates IP addresses by sending an ICMP packet. Due to some security policies, this feature may have been removed and not a feature in newer generation routers. I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.

8. Management >> System Time: Please add "Auto enable daylight time saving", and let me to set when it starts and ends, like my older D-Link router.
This maybe handle now by automatic means. I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.

9. Management >> System Log: I can't see the system log direct on the web interface.
Syslogging is something that has never been displayed on D-Link routers. The router logs on D-Link routers regarding itself have been on various model routers. However syslog out put data always gets directed to a PC or Server that has some 3rd party syslogging software loaded to collect the data coming from the router when it's enabled and configured.
10. Management >> Upgrade: Please add a function to flash language packages on the router.
Unless users are out side of the NA region, language specific pack may not be supported anymore. I presume that users in other regions have language specific FW thats all inclusive in languages that don't use language packs. Some model routers have a language select drop down menu on the routers home log in page that you may be able to select other languages.
11. Management >> Statistics: I can't see the routing table in the router, and the table for all the internet sessions (like DIR-868L A1 HW).
For simplistic reasons, this feature may have been removed. Most home class users may not have a need for it. Again, this new UI is designed for simplicity and some more advanced users may not find the same features as the older UI. I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.

And there is also a bug in the newer interface:
Go to "Home", click on "Internet", and switch to IPv6 status. If you use 6RD, it will always say "Disconnected", whether my 6RD is connected or not.
Also the "WAN IPv6 Address", "Default Gateway", "Primary DNS Server", and "Secondary DNS Server" are all not available.
I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email. I'll pass this along to my contact here as well.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:29:54 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »

FYI, this has been forwarded to D-Link for review and consideration. Review future FW updates which may or may not include any few features. Bugs found will be reviewed as well.

Thank you.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

StephenM71

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 02:38:17 PM »

Item 7 is a big one for me too :)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »

Other important features are multiple-SSID, access point isolation.  The new UI is definitely on the right track and it has HTTPS too.  Hopefully d-link can provide multiple-SSID and AP isolation, these features have been found on almost all the Linksys routers 10 years ago. 

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 04:41:36 PM »

multiple-SSID? How so?

AP Isolation may not be supported on newer generation routers as some users have a need to cross connect between the two radio networks. AP Isolation would prevent this. For ease of use and operation, this maybe one reason why D-link removed this feature.

Other important features are multiple-SSID, access point isolation.  The new UI is definitely on the right track and it has HTTPS too.  Hopefully d-link can provide multiple-SSID and AP isolation, these features have been found on almost all the Linksys routers 10 years ago.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »

Take a look at the firmware of Linksys or DD-WRT and you know what I mean by multiple SSID. 

As for AP Isolation.  This can be per SSID, per Radio.  DD-WRT and Linksys VPN router take it one step further by providing VLAN and port security function but that would be asking too much for basic router.  Per SSID AP isolation should be a standard feature though.  Combine with multiple SSID will provide a more secured network for connection that do not require sharing network resource.   Lack of AP isolation (since 802.11b) is one reason I avoid D-Link router over the years.  I purchased the 868L because I thought it has DD-WRT support but too bad DD-WRT only available for REV A and seems unstable at the moment.

PS:  the hardware of DIR-868L really rocks.  Hopefully the firmware will catch up the hardware.  The GUI is a nice change too.

multiple-SSID? How so?

AP Isolation may not be supported on newer generation routers as some users have a need to cross connect between the two radio networks. AP Isolation would prevent this. For ease of use and operation, this maybe one reason why D-link removed this feature.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 07:56:35 AM »

While those are probably nice features to have on some routers for some advanced users, these are not supported on D-Link routers. As more users are sharing more data with in there WLAN and LAN networks, AP Isolation isn't needed as much and to a point, D-Link is letting the users handle and control there data and how it's accessed between the radios. D-Link may or may not add it back in as a feature since there probably has been limited use for it.

Ya, the 868L HW is great and is the FW. The new Rev B is directed to a new UI and more simplified use for the home users. I presume if more advanced users need more UI features, you might get a Rev A while they are still available.  Rev B routers are not marketed in the USA, rather Canada and EU regions only.

Take a look at the firmware of Linksys or DD-WRT and you know what I mean by multiple SSID. 

As for AP Isolation.  This can be per SSID, per Radio.  DD-WRT and Linksys VPN router take it one step further by providing VLAN and port security function but that would be asking too much for basic router.  Per SSID AP isolation should be a standard feature though.  Combine with multiple SSID will provide a more secured network for connection that do not require sharing network resource.   Lack of AP isolation (since 802.11b) is one reason I avoid D-Link router over the years.  I purchased the 868L because I thought it has DD-WRT support but too bad DD-WRT only available for REV A and seems unstable at the moment.

PS:  the hardware of DIR-868L really rocks.  Hopefully the firmware will catch up the hardware.  The GUI is a nice change too.

multiple-SSID? How so?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:22:13 AM by FurryNutz »