• April 25, 2024, 04:58:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DSM-520 Freezes completely (Green Screen)  (Read 5939 times)

chrisjgray

• Level 1 Member
DSM-520 Freezes completely (Green Screen)
« on: December 23, 2009, 04:36:18 PM »

After about 5 minutes of running, my DSM-520 will cause the screen to become green. I cannot shut it off without pulling the power cord. The unit becomes unresponsive. This happens even if nothing is plugged into it and I don't even touch it. Any ideas?

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
Re: DSM-520 Freezes completely (Green Screen)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 09:09:03 PM »

Never heard of this one.  Is it warm to the touch on top? 

Have you tried resetting the unit with by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds?

What version is your firmware?  Guess you have 5 minutes from the time you power up to find out.   ;D

You should be able to power down the unit by holding the power button down for 5 seconds.

TomasL

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »

Having the same problem, after a while it becomes utterly in-responsive.
Similar as if the cpu-clockspeed drops down to zero sort of, when watching a movie, if I for example press the info button, it takes say a minute before it appears, and its appears and disappears scan-line for scan-line, very slowly, after the film is finished, it takes a few minutes before the "End-Screen" shows úp, similar, pressing OK, it takes a couple of minutes before anything happens.
However rendering a video works without any problems.

If it has been sitting for a while, and not using it, the screensaver slows down, until it freezes, and after a while, the screen becomes green, and the only resort is to pulling the power-cord.

mobilejukebox

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 10:21:23 AM »

I ran into and resolved this issue.  I think it's related to having 1GB network AND having large packets (aka jumbo frames) enabled.  I had the issue wired and wireless.  The only time it was fine was when I disconnected completely from the network.  I messed around with every device on my network, including bringing the network up without the cable modem, and only after disabling jumbo frames on every machine and messing with the LAN setting on my DNS-323s did I finally get the green screen to go away.  I don't feed video from my PCs so I didn't bother testing with them.  I'm still using a gigabit network and all but the DSM-520s are running at 1Gig but I haven't toyed around with jumbo frames again.  Given that the DSM-520 doesn't support gigabit Ethernet I think the thing was just flooded with packets and gave up.  I don't know your network setup so I'll share mine with you.

DIR-825 - firmware 2.02NA (no jumbo frame option on this that I can recall)
DGS-2208 (to handle the network expansion)
3x DSM-520 - firmware 1.06.01 on all (no jumbo frame option and doesn't support gigabit Ethernet)
3x DNS-323 - firmware 1.08 beta 05 on all (has jumbo frame option).

After disabling jumbo frames on all my devices I also had to go into the DNS-323 LAN settings (LAN link on the left from the home screen) change the NIC to run at 100 Mbps, toggle back to Auto and then force 1000 Mbps.  Note: SAVE the change to the NIC each time you change the option.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 10:37:16 AM by mobilejukebox »

whudgens

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 07:59:25 PM »

Yes... I have had the same problem since about Late November or so.  (Ever since a new bios upgrade)

I cured it by disconnecting my network and just using the usb.  Please  if there is a beta update.. Please let me know..

many thanks..

bill

KAK

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 07:10:57 AM »

See my link at http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=9686.0

See if this helps you.