• March 18, 2024, 08:22:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-866L, WD My Passport Ultra and Shareport - drive won't spin down/go to sleep  (Read 9499 times)

joea64

• Level 1 Member

I'm not sure if this is the right subforum to post this, but I haven't found anything about this exact problem anywhere else on the forum, so if I put this in the wrong place, please move it! That being said...

I picked up the DIR-866L on sale last weekend and got a Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1TB USB drive to serve as a cloud drive for my personal network. It took some tinkering and tweaking, but with some trial and error I finally got everything connected properly and installed. I have SharePort Plus on my Windows 7 desktop and MyDLink Shareport on my Galaxy Tab A and iPhone. Everything works fine except for one thing...

...the My Passport drive won't spin down or go to sleep when it's connected to the DIR-866L, no matter how long I wait. Ever since I moved about 100GB worth of files onto the drive over the weekend, the drive keeps on spinning and spinning and spinning and won't go into sleep mode at all. The drive light keeps blinking rapidly most of the time (though right now it's a solid blue light though still spinning). I have no idea what to do or whether this is actually normal behavior. Can anyone help?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

What version of SP software are you using?

I'm not sure if sleep mode is supported with connected to the router unless there is other things going on when it's connected. Possible scenario is that if you have it connected and share thru the router, it may keep the drive awake always so that nothing times out when it's accessed.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.