• April 26, 2024, 08:03:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Recovering from hard drive crash?  (Read 2547 times)

pattim

• Level 1 Member
Recovering from hard drive crash?
« on: October 03, 2009, 12:56:25 PM »

I am trying to find the steps to recover from a hard drive crash - both for RAID5 and RAID1 (I have several DNS-343's).  Are we forced to simply offload all data after a crash, reinstall new drives, reformat, and restore or does the '343 have build-in code to rebuild either of these RAIDs?

Thanks!!!!!!!!
  ??? Patti  :-[

pattim

• Level 1 Member
Re: Recovering from hard drive crash?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 01:24:12 PM »

OK, I found the manual- or auto-rebuild functions after installing the latest firmware.  Of course, the first thing it says is that my raid is degraded...  I *think* that means everything is OK, but that it just needs to resynch - is that correct?  It has always performed flawlessly, and I forgot to mention all my DNS's use ext3.
Patti

EDIT:  I guess I'm unclear on the terminology used by the DNS - the difference between "rebuild" and "resynchronize" - the former is quite destructive to the newly added drive, but the latter is supposed to preserve all data.  Does "auto rebuild" have to be enabled for automatic resynching of the RAID?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 01:26:43 PM by pattim »

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 01:31:58 PM »

Hi pattim,

Shutdown the device, remove the failed HDD, insert the new HDD, restart the device.  Login into the device, and select Rebuild ... that should mirror the "data" HDD to the newly inserted HDD.

From there, a resychronization should occur to ensure that both members are identical. 

A "degraded" state typically indicates that an HDD in the array has failed.  Some folks have reported that in some cases, it implies that a resynchronization needs to be perform - I personally have not experienced this ... HDD has always failed in my situation.

HTH,

pattim

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 04:45:38 PM »

Thanks! - I've seen "degraded" arrays before when power interruptions occur during writes.