• April 26, 2024, 12:22:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: After a power failure, only 1 drive accesable  (Read 2516 times)

dutchronnie

• Level 1 Member
After a power failure, only 1 drive accesable
« on: April 13, 2015, 11:20:59 PM »

Last weekend i had a power failure at my home.
when i turned on the DND-323 both leds become blue, and i want to acces the drives.
but i can only 1 drive, the other i can not access.
when i looked at the dns-323 again, i have 1 purple led. it was the led of the drive i can not access.

when i go to the configuration page, the DNS-323 thinks there is a new drive, and want it to format. i have skipped this.
it is not a new drive, and it was configured as two separate drives, no raid.
the firmware i have is 1.09.

is there a way to access this drive again?
There is a lot of data on the drive i wanted to keep.
I hope somebody knows what i can do about this problem.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: After a power failure, only 1 drive accesable
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 03:09:34 AM »

There are a couple of things you can do but first and foremost you need to check if the drive is dead or not.  To do that, download a copy of the drive manufacturers disk tools and install it on your PC, pull the drive and put it in a USB/SATA caddy, connect that to your PC and don't let windows do anything to it, run the disk tools against it an hope that it is still functioning because you don't have a backup.

If it passes the disk tools tests then read the recovery sticky and make a backup of your data.  You can then reinstall the drive and format it then copy the data back from your backup.

If it does not pass the disk tools tests and you don't have a backup then, depending on exactly how valuable the data is you will need to spend a lot of money having a disk recovery service try and recover your data.

Whatever the outcome, from now on start a backup of your data if only for peace of mind in the future.  If you had a backup all you would have to do is let the unit format the drive and restore from the backup.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 08:31:21 AM »

And get a UPS device. Should help for short power outages

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 11:38:49 AM »

Having a UPS is only one half of the solution - the other half is to be able to monitor that UPS connection and have the UPS shutdown the NAS in an orderly fashion if the outage is prolonged, and this unfortunately is one of the DNS-323's weak spots - the NUT implementation it supports is VERY limited.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

dutchronnie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 12:38:26 PM »

Thanks for the information, i shall download a disk utility a see if it detect problems on the disk.
And make back-ups in the future

Edit:

I have scanned the drive with Seatools, and the drive seems to be alright.
Now i am scanning the drive with R-Tools, but this is gonna take a long time.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:22:21 PM by dutchronnie »