• April 25, 2024, 09:24:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DNS-313 and some FTP issues  (Read 11044 times)

Mikexx

• Level 1 Member
DNS-313 and some FTP issues
« on: December 16, 2010, 09:10:07 AM »

If there's a more appropriate forum to post this, I would be grateful for a steer.

I have a DNS-313 and I'm using FileZilla to create a backup over a network.  Most backup programs seem to fail, or work very slowly, hence why I use FileZilla which is free and fairly robust.

However FileZilla doesn't seem to be able to create directories in the DNS-313 starting with a "." (period) (dot).  Similarly it can't copy files starting with a period either.

I also note in Win XP, if I create a new folder on the C-drive or this connected drive; say for example ".example", it replies with a less than meaningful reply "You must type a file name".

However I have a significant number of directories which have been installed by various software which do start with a period.

Can anyone give an indication why FileZilla can't create and copy files and directories starting with a period?  And ideally how to overcome this limitation?

Mikexx

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-313 and some FTP issues
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:44:00 AM »

Am I the only one to suffer this?

I have tried using various backup software, but over a wireless network drive I find they all tend to give up.

I'm trying to backup a 250GB drive, where one director has 14,000 files.  Both are troublesome for normal backup software, but where the likes of FileZilla seem to cope.

Any help, anyone?

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 09:14:43 AM »

The inability to be able to create a folder (or file without an extension) beginning with a period is a Windows "feature".

In the Linux world, directories or files beginning with a period denote a hidden directory or file. The DNS-323 runs Linux. I've been able to successfully copy directories or files beginning with a period via SMB and FTP (FileZilla). Although FileZilla doesn't seem to show these directories and files. There is an option to "Force showing hidden files" but this doesn't seem to make a difference.

I use robocopy in Windows, it's a command-line sync tool. It's available in Windows Vista+ or you can download it from Microsoft for XP.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

Mikexx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 02:57:19 PM »

Many thanks for your reply.

What you've said puzzles me.  I would have thought FileZilla would be platform independent, and also the reply from the DNS-313.  It's response when creating a directory or file starting with a period:

550 Prohibited file name

My Windows box has files and directories starting with a period.  Perhaps the problem is caused by Linux treating these files as hidden?

I tried Richcopy, which is a GUI for RoboCopy, but found it remarkably slow.  I have one directory which has 14,000 small files that RichCopy was copying a file every few seconds or so.

Many thanks again.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 04:32:05 PM »

I'm not saying that you can't have files and folders beginning with a period in Windows, I'm saying that Windows itself makes creating them difficult with it's over zealous warning and restriction.

Mikexx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:52:07 PM »

Sorry - I misunderstood.  In this case it seems it is the DNS-313 which doesn't allow the files and directories to start with a period.

I agree that "Windows Explorer" can't create files and directories with a period and can only show them, however under Windows I can create them at a command prompt using a "MD" command without any fuss.

In essence I am coming to the conclusion that this is a fundamental D-Link issue.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:12:28 AM »

I would say without any doubt that this isn't a D-Link issue. These NAS boxes run Linux and having files starting with a period is common to Linux file systems.

If you open one of the shares on your NAS in Windows, e.g:

\\IP_ADDRESS_OF_NAS\Volume_1

Drag one of the files or folders that begin with a period in to the share, it will copy it over. I have many files and folders beginning with a period on my NAS. Windows recognises the files/folders as "hidden", so you may need to enable the "View all files and folders" Windows option.

It seems that the issues you are having are more to do with FileZilla. Are you using the latest version of it? I'm not really sure why you are using FileZilla/FTP over accessing via standard SMB shares.

Mikexx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 01:59:36 PM »

As it you say, it does copy over fine using drag and drop or copy and paste.  I had already worked out that I could create and copy files and directories using a mapped drive in a Command Prompt as per earlier post.

It may well be a FileZilla issue and I will use another FTP client.  I am using the most recent version 3.3.5.1

The reason is I have found that an FTP client is perhaps the most robust method of getting files from a to b.  Where it will retry on a time-out, and be most forgiving when the network drops out.  I have many GB of files to copy, which literally takes a day or more.  No other software can cope with network failures and yet keep plugging on when the network comes back alive.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 02:55:07 PM »

It's a shame that you can't use robocopy (Robust Copy) - that's exactly what it was designed for. It has the ability to syncronise directories so that it only copies those files that have changed, and removes those no longer at the source. Incidently, if you do use it, you'll need to use the "/FFT" switch due to the different timestamps between NTFS and EXT2/3 (Linux) file systems. Unless all your files change every day, you'll notice this approach is much quicker than copying them all again.

Mikexx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 02:59:10 PM »

FTP clients can be set to do the same thing, to only update files which have changed so the final result is similar.

Many thanks.

Mikexx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 03:17:08 AM »

I've come to the conclusion that the DNS-313 does not accept file names starting with a period when creating or copying a file using FTP.  Whilst explanations have been given why this ought not be the case, no evidence of successful copying of a files starting with a period has been demonstrated.

The very fact that Linux treats this kind of file as a system can explain why such files can be copied when the DNS-313 is a network drive, but not as a FTP servers.

Shame really.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 03:28:06 AM »

I've been able to successfully copy directories or files beginning with a period via SMB and FTP (FileZilla).

Perhaps your issue is DNS-313 specific, although I thought the two boxes ran similar firmware.

Mikexx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 07:06:13 PM »

You may be right, but no one has confirmed that the DNS-323 can accept files or directories starting with a period using FTP.   :(

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »

I confirmed, twice  ;)

Mikexx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 09:14:07 AM »

I've used various FTP clients and I can't create a directory starting with a period, nor can I create a file starting with a period.  I can create or rename a folder starting with a period if I use something like ExploreXP rather than Windows Explorer after mapping the network drive.

I have to say I am very surprised that the DNS-323 acts differently where it must have different firmware.

Many thanks for checking.
Pages: [1] 2