• March 28, 2024, 05:41:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: The Red light, what does it mean?  (Read 10794 times)

Sheff

• Level 1 Member
The Red light, what does it mean?
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:42:13 PM »

I have a solid red light on my 323 on the left drive light.  Only the blue one on the right seems to be flashing.  What does this mean?

Sheff

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: The Red light, what does it mean?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 02:29:47 PM »

RED?  As far as I'm aware, you can have blue & amber, and if they come on together, a sort of pinkish purple.

What does the status screen show?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Sheff

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 02:34:35 PM »

It is sort of more purple than amber.

Nothing remarkable on the status screen.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 03:23:36 PM »

In the Status page does it show "Sync time remaining: Completed or Degraded"?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Sheff

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 06:48:37 AM »

It says degraded.  What does that mean?

Thanks

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »

It means they are not in sync so that when you write data to the drives it may only be writing to one drive. Try it out copy some data to the unit and see if only one HDD LED is flashing while transferring. You can try loading the latest 1.06 firmware and it may resolve you issue if it does not there is an option in the RAID setup to manually resync the drives this should resolve your issue. 
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Sheff

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 10:47:27 AM »

Cool thanks.  I'm going to get another hard drive and back it all up before I do that.

I appreciate the advice.  I'll keep you posted.

garyhgaryh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:03:03 AM »

Cool thanks.  I'm going to get another hard drive and back it all up before I do that.

I appreciate the advice.  I'll keep you posted.

That is an excellent idea.... that's what I would do...
Think of it this way... Assuming you are running raid 1, you bought this raid to keep your data safe.
Now one drive has (perhaps) taken a dump.  You are allowed to access the data because you had a mirroring system in place.  The dns did what it was intended to do as a raid 1 system.  Back up all your data now and count your blessings.  Money well spent :).

I'm not sure what the process is when or if this happens to me, but I think this is what I would do...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

1. write data to the nas and see which one is blinking (for step 4).
2. back up your NAS to an extern usb drive or to your computer if you have enough space.
3. power down the nas
4. remove the offending drive (side not blinking during a copy to nas)
5. replace with new drive.
6. start dns-323
7. log into web interface (might ask you to rebuild).  if so, do it, else go to the page that allows you to do it.
8.  don't use the nas until rebuild is done.  Give it a day or two.

Comments? Suggestions? If any of you think I don't know what I'm doing, you are probably right because I've never been in this situation.  Always want to prepare myself just in case it happens so I hope someone can point out my flaw in the process above so I can be ready when this happens to me (which is probably just a matter of time - not IF, but WHEN).

What drive are you using? Would they happen to be seagates 1.5T drives?
Gary

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 11:14:21 AM »

garyhgaryh - your theories are sound.

At step #7 - it will ask you to format the drive and then prompt for a reboot, after which it will resync the array.

You can omit step #8, if you like - you can use the array whilst it's rebuilding, although this will increase the rebuild time.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

garyhgaryh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 08:52:39 PM »

garyhgaryh - your theories are sound.

At step #7 - it will ask you to format the drive and then prompt for a reboot, after which it will resync the array.

You can omit step #8, if you like - you can use the array whilst it's rebuilding, although this will increase the rebuild time.

I'll be posting this by my two dns nas drives as I'm sure i'll be s***ting bricks when I see the red light on my nas:

With your comments incorporated:

1. write data to the nas and see which one is blinking (for step 4).
2. back up your NAS to an extern usb drive or to your computer if you have enough space.
3. power down the nas
4. remove the offending drive (side not blinking during a copy to nas)
5. replace with new drive.
6. start dns-323
7. it will ask you to format the drive and then prompt for a reboot, after which it will resync the array.
    if not, log into web interface and go to the page that allows you to do it (status page?).
8. if you like - you can use the array whilst it's rebuilding, although this will increase the rebuild time.
    I personally will not use the nas until rebuild is done.  Give it a day or two.

So guys, post this by your NAS! :)
Gary

Sheff

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 05:18:06 PM »

So I've opted to back up to an external 1TB USB drive.  My data is safe for now.

I've upgraded to FW 1.06 and I've decided to manually rebuild the degraded array.  It said wait 2591.6 minute(s).  So basically, I can't access it for 43 hours.

I now have two flashing amber lights and the fan has kicked up.

Question:  When it's done, will it tell me?  Is there some progress bar I can monitor?

If this doesn't work, I intend to buy a couple of 1.5TB drives.  Can anyone recommend some brands known to work?

UPDATE:  It logged me out.  I logged back in and now it says "116.5 minute(s)."  Can that be right?

Thanks,
Sheff