• April 27, 2024, 04:43:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What happened?? Failed after firmware  (Read 9771 times)

shadango

• Level 2 Member
What happened?? Failed after firmware
« on: January 16, 2016, 04:04:36 PM »

Just brought this thing home...went thru the steps and all was working fine.  It was seen etc on wireless just fine.

Then I went onto my mobile device to set that up.....first message I got there was that I had to update my cameras firmware so I said OK.....

After a while it timed out and now the camera has a solid red light.

THEN I look around on the web and find out that the recommendation is to NOT use the wireless connection for the firmware update.
WONDERFUL.....could have told me that BEFORE this happened!

Is there an emergency firmware procedure perhaps or is this thing bricked??? 

If wireless updates will nto work, why in Gods name do they not have that in BIG BOLD LETTERS in the manual or the setup software!?!?!?

Please tell me there is a way to back out of this.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: What happened?? Failed after firmware
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 04:52:18 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your DNS? Look at the sticker behind or under the device.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DNSs web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

Try this:
 Emergency Recovery Mode

If this fails, I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.
Let us know how it goes please.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

shadango

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 03:55:02 PM »

Thanks for the advice.

I tried the procedure and a few other things found online to no avail....returned the unit and got a new one.....

This one is fine.....I ignored the firmware update until after everything was set up and connected via wifi,,,,,, and then replugged in the cable and did the firmware and all is well on that front.

Now, my issue is two fold :

First, the camera cannot be seen on the web page thru d-link but CAN be seen thru going directly to the IP address interface,

Second, I can access the camera via DLink Lite on my cell phone as long as I am in my house and connected to my network.  Outside the house, though, thru 4G or WIFI, I log in to the mobile app fine but it cannot access my camera.

So it looks like "something" is blocking access to my camera......

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:57:01 PM »

What Mfr and model is the main host router?
What wireless modes are you using?

Test cameras with uPnP and uPnP Port Forwarding both enabled on ALL cameras: DCS Cloud (L) Series Camera Configuration and Mydlink.com
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

shadango

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 04:52:37 PM »

Test cameras with uPnP and uPnP Port Forwarding both enabled on ALL cameras: DCS Cloud (L) Series Camera Configuration and Mydlink.com

Sorry for the delay....had to step away for a while for work.

I did find that if I disable my virus shields temporarily the camera is EVENTUALLY found.  But it takes forvever to do anything.

I tried using my other computer, a laptop.....same thing really....slow to find the camera, slow to load clips from the SD card in the camera.....and once they do load up, I cannot paly them either on the two PCs or on my android.  My main PC is Windows 7 and robust enough to edit HD video with premiere.....my other pc is a windows 10 laptop that is even stronger.  My android is a brand new note 4.   I cant believe how slow it all is.

Every time I log on to the camera I get the "need to update firmware" message....I cant do that til the extra power supply I ordered arrives.....then i can pull the camera off the ceiling and connect it via ethernet cable to my router and upgrade.....PITA, but I hope it works....

I am also having an issue with the two way audio....terrible sqwaking and feedback when trying to use the two way feature.

Again, maybe a firmware issue???

Otherwise, this is really just a $180 toy.....

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 05:40:45 PM »

Is the camera Wired to the router as well?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »

I tried using my other computer, a laptop.....same thing really....slow to find the camera, slow to load clips from the SD card in the camera.....and once they do load up, I cannot paly them either on the two PCs or on my android.  My main PC is Windows 7 and robust enough to edit HD video with premiere.....my other pc is a windows 10 laptop that is even stronger.  My android is a brand new note 4.   I cant believe how slow it all is.

Every time I log on to the camera I get the "need to update firmware" message....I cant do that til the extra power supply I ordered arrives.....then i can pull the camera off the ceiling and connect it via ethernet cable to my router and upgrade.....PITA, but I hope it works....

I am also having an issue with the two way audio....terrible sqwaking and feedback when trying to use the two way feature.

$180?!  dang

D-Link - High-Definition Pan and Tilt Wi-Fi Video Security Camera - White
D‑Link ‑ High‑Definition ...
$149.99 Best Buy In store

anyways - you should define what "slow is".  It does take a few minutes to download any of these clips from these cameras.  That is expected.

Which F/W are you using?

Not sure how it is taking time to "Find" the camera.  What are you using? What does your network look like?  I do have some issues with cameras behind some switches some times.

shadango

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 07:47:07 PM »

$180?!  dang

D-Link - High-Definition Pan and Tilt Wi-Fi Video Security Camera - White
D‑Link ‑ High‑Definition ...
$149.99 Best Buy In store

anyways - you should define what "slow is".  It does take a few minutes to download any of these clips from these cameras.  That is expected.

Which F/W are you using?

Not sure how it is taking time to "Find" the camera.  What are you using? What does your network look like?  I do have some issues with cameras behind some switches some times.

re: best buy ad---yeah, thats on sale today.   LOL -- I paid $169 and 7% sales tax a month or two ago in store....so sorry, I mispoke....180.83 actually...I rounded down.  :)

re: F/W - 2.11.01 is what is on it (from the store) -- have not yet updated because the first camera I brought home bricked when I tried to do the firmware update wirelessly.  According to the tech on the phone, this should have worked fine.  According to the manual, it is recommended to so it via hard wire. I didnt catch that the first time.  It bricked when the update failed via wireless. I exchanged the camera and held off on the firmware update and installed it on my ceiling and concealed the power cable to try it out for a bit first, figuring that most products do not need a FW update right out of the box for major functionality.  I have since ordered a spare power supply so I can take the camera down and hook it up directly and try the F/W update. Not really looking forward to that, given the first failed attempt.

On my win 7 system, running avast antivirus.....I have to turn off the shields altogether of it wont work at all....I would understand that maybe except that on my win 10 laptop with avast I dont have to turn the shields off.  But ok, so I have to turn avast off......forget that for a second.

On the win 7 and win 10 machines, the initial logon using Mydinklink is fine.....it tells me the firmware etc quickly.  Its when you click on the live, SD card or settings tabs ...on both machines it takes 45 seconds to a minute to bring anything up. Then if you click on the settings tab, it takes 15-30 seconds to bring THAT up.   

if I click on the SD card tab, it takes 15-30 seconds to bring the first SD card screen up and then 15-30 seconds to load each screen after that.

On both machines, it takes a good 30 -60 seconds for the clips to load onto the screen...and another 15-30 seconds to "play" a clip....which brings up the window but never plays. 

I am using Firefox and have gone through the multiple troubleshooting sequence they provide for it. Cannot play the clips on either system.

Same experience when using android as well, really.  SLOW access times and completely unable to play the video clips that have been recorded....they eventually load/download but can never play...I get a black screen in android.

On the box, it talks about how easy it is to look a recorded clips on "the cloud"........easy my left eye.

My network isnt all that complicated.....a comcast xfinity dual band wifi router/modem......Typical windows firewalls and avast virus software.  Everything else works great.....just this camera seems to be wonky.

I am not alone, looking around at reviews online --- many others have had issues.  I do not profess to be a network guru....but the box seems to indicate you do not need to be.......but so far I am not finding this to be a very friendly unit as far as fine tuning it.  I usually like tinkering with this stuff....I just built my own mid-to-high end video editing PC (welll, high end for me...LOL)  and it hums along beautifully.....but this camera is giving me fits , it is so cranky to figure out.

By the way, I was just reading some other posts --- some folks say "make sure the wireless signal is good before updating the F/W".....When I tried to do the F.W update via wireless the first time, the signal couldn't get any better.....the camera was sitting within 3 feet of the wireless router. Signal  strength was not the issue. SO I am very worried about attempting the F/W update even with the ethernet cable hookup. But I cant go on seeing the dang "firmware must be updated" warning EVERY TIME I access it, risking my tapping the "update" button instead of "cancel" and bricking it again.

Also, another update -- if I go into the "advanced" interface, I can at least download the individual video files.   But when trying to view thru the MYDLINK.COM pages, no dice.

Thanks for any helpful feedback.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:08:08 PM by shadango »

shadango

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 07:52:25 PM »

Is the camera Wired to the router as well?

Located in the Eastern US.

When you say wireless modes I assume you mean 2.4 and 5 bands?  Its a dual band WIFI modem/router from Comcast (Xfinity). Marked as an ARRIS TG1682G.

The camera is not wired directly ---its a wireless camera - the reason I got it was so that I wouldn't have to run ethernet to it.....just this one camera on teh network.   Was thinking of a second one but wont spend the money til this one is working acceptably.

Not familiar with port forwarding......I am NOT a network guru.....have always been able to muddle through and set up home networks etc but this camera is no where near as friendly as the box advertises.....very frustrating.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:58:01 PM by shadango »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 07:00:26 AM »

Wireless modes are B G or N. 2.4 and 5Ghz are frequencies.

What wireless modes are you using on the main host router?
What is the distance between the Camera and the main host router?

shadango

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 10:27:42 AM »

Wireless modes are B G or N. 2.4 and 5Ghz are frequencies.

What wireless modes are you using on the main host router?
What is the distance between the Camera and the main host router?

I will have to get into the router to answer your questions about "modes" I guess.....would I be able to tailor the camera to work better based on that info?

This is my router:

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/wireless_gateway/HOW5220_Wireless_Gateway_3_UserGuide_06_19_15.pdf

Right now, the camera is I would guess maybe 20 feet...the router is downstairs in one corner of the basement and the camera is upstairs in the opposite corner (more or less) on the ceiling in a cathedral ceiling room that is right above the downstairs location.     

Yes there is a floor/carpet that the wireless has to travel through bu thats it.

I do have the router set up in a metal AV equipment rack.  I was thinking that MAY be some limitation for some devices but I have no issues with other wireless devices being used in that same room right near the camera. And the camera showed a good connection as do my other wireless devices in the same room.  I may try moving the router to outside the rack to see what , if anything , happens.  I dont expect much.  I can get on my wireless outside  in my backyard.

Everything moves along just fine wireless wise....no reason the camera shouldnt, unless i have the camera set up wrong.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 10:59:19 AM »

If you have the router in a metallic metal case or rack, this can cause some interference and inhibit the wireless signal...I would get the router outside of the rack and place it in a more central location and on a wooden desk, shelf or something non-metallic. Placement of the router should be on the main floor and central in the house and not in the basement.

shadango

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 06:13:46 AM »

If you have the router in a metallic metal case or rack, this can cause some interference and inhibit the wireless signal...I would get the router outside of the rack and place it in a more central location and on a wooden desk, shelf or something non-metallic. Placement of the router should be on the main floor and central in the house and not in the basement.

I pulled the router out of the rack and its sitting on top of it now.....which means it is about 10 inches from the ceiling, which is the wooden floor above it......so, that much closer to the camera. And the camera is in a straight shot from where the router is, aside from the floor. No walls, etc.

Placing the router anywhere else is not an option as I would then have to run ethernet cabling and an additional cable service coax.

None of the rest of my many wireless devices have had any issues receiving or sending signal......and Comcast saw and OKd my location.  I use wireless at work, and it is also in a metal cabinet like mine....no one has any issues. So I have a hard time thinking that is it.  I understand that the more central to the core of the home the wireless source is the better, but lets face it...when we use WIFI when out and about, we often tie into sources that are all over the place and it works fine.

if these cameras are extra sensitive then they should state that on the box IMHO.

That all said, the extra power supply I ordered came yesterday so I excitedly got the ladder out, pulled the camera down and hooked it up diretcly to my router to update the firmware.

I used the manual method and while it did fail once, it took the second time and I confirmed it "stuck".  vsn 2.12. something..but the newest one on the site last night at 7pm or so.

Installed the camera and tinkered with it and the PC recorder software as well.....checked my mobile app as well as the console.....MYDLINK.COM is still not working right.  The consol and the DView apps on the PC work fine.  yay!  No more "firmware updated" prompts!!!!!!

I also wnet in and played with the "QoS" setting in the consol.....bumped it up to 30 and tested.....couldnt tell if there was a major difference or not.....so I left it as is for now.

Went to bed a happy camper.

Now, this morning, I accessed the camera on my mobile and it is prompting AGAIN for yet another firmware update!!!!!!!!!!

This is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:15:58 AM by shadango »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 06:35:24 AM »

That's because there is a v2.13 now posted on the MDL site.  ::)
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=64590.0
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:39:30 AM by FurryNutz »

shadango

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 11:39:05 AM »

That's because there is a v2.13 now posted on the MDL site.  ::)
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=64590.0

LOL

What are the chances.  I have been wanting to update to 2/12 for weeks...LOL

Get it done and now it updates AGAIN 12 hours later!  LOL

Thanks!

Back to the drawing board.

WOndering, how often do they do firmware updates/ This could get really old really quick.

There REALLY needs to be a way to disable the auto popups for the FW update.
Pages: [1] 2