• April 24, 2024, 07:28:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: NFS/FTP/SMB shares with Kodi/VLC  (Read 6709 times)

mattg

• Level 1 Member
NFS/FTP/SMB shares with Kodi/VLC
« on: December 01, 2015, 08:59:09 AM »

Hi All,

I am posting here as I really have no idea where else to post this as I believe the issue is with the NAS rather than Kodi and I will explain why and what exactly is happening.

First off I have the 320L with 1TB WD and 1TB Seagate (brand new, was a 200GB Seagate last week) in a non RAID JBOD configuration. I have Kodi installed on a Fire TV Stick and a Fire TV. I recently started noticing that Kodi was stopping playback and anything from that share was inaccessible until the next reboot (shares from the other volume were still accessible). I was using NFS for these shares initially as it had less overhead compared to SMB. However I still had SMB configured (or rather CIFS) to be accessible from Windows laptops. On other videos I would notice that when playing the media through VLC the video would display all grey and pixelated before resuming (audio was fine). I thought that maybe this was happening because the drive could be dieing so I replaced the drive but still see the same thing. So I reset the NAS to factory settings (although nothing changed between when it was working fine and when it stopped working) and I also reset Kodi (but same thing, no changes). I had upgraded and installed the latest 15.2 release but still same issue.

In the Kodi log I see

Code: [Select]
20:31:17 T:1540113056   ERROR: virtual ssize_t XFILE:: ::Read(void*, size_t) - Error( -5, nfs_service failed )Which essentially, based on the code means that we received -5 bytes from the NAS when trying to read and fill the buffer.

As I see issues from 2 separate devices I've ruled out the Kodi configuration and the FireTV (which is wired and not wireless).

Lastly I configured FTP on NAS to serve up the media and that worked great... for a few days and now it isn't working. I have version 1.04 on the NAS and was going to try the latest version but am travelling for work and not around to upgrade it.

Any thoughts? I'd hate to just buy a new NAS but it is kind of useless in it's current state of not being able to serve up media.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: NFS/FTP/SMB shares with Kodi/VLC
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 07:42:56 AM »

Disclaimer: we do not use any of our NAS boxes for media streaming.

From what you describe I tend to think it is a network problem.  If it is all wired, are the plugs all secure in their sockets, are the cables undamaged (not flattened or had something heavy run over them).  If wireless have you used a WiFi scanner to check that there is no other unit interfering with yours?

Now a few things to try and find where the problem lies.

1)  Have you tried streaming to a video program (example VLC on windows, Linux) on your PC?  If so do you get the same results?
2)  Can you transfer large files from your NAS to your PC using SMB and FTP? (you will need an FTP client installed on your PC to check FTP transfer)
3)  Can you stream from your PC to your Fire TV Stick?
The above will determine if it is NAS, network or TV stick problem.

If you can play a video from the NAS using VLC on your PC then that generally rules out a problem with the NAS.
If you can copy large files using SMB or FTP to your PC then both the NAS and network are functioning correctly.  Conversely, if you can't it is generally a network problem but there might also be a NAS problem (usually settings unless the NAS box is damaged in some way).
If you can stream from your PC to the TV stick that shows the stick is working and there may be a network problem between the NAS and stick or again the NAS may be at fault. 

redpiyaya

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:13:07 AM »

Just want to try to help.
When you edit your share in the WEBUI, in the NFS settings section where it will ask for a hostname, enter 192.168.2.0/24 if your network is at 192.168.2.x.

The hostname is really misleading. This is actually asking what network is allowed to access the NFS.

email me if this fixes the issue.
mobilebri@gmail.com

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »

I have a 320L with kodi installed on 3 different devices (database stored on 320L)
so it's similar to OP's setup but use only SMB

I too have experienced continuous sound but maybe once or twice a loss of video (on tv goes to blue screen) for a few seconds

I always assumed it was poor conversion from one source to another (depending on who's ripped it and to what codec it's been converted)

I may be wrong but that's been my assumption for a long time.