• March 28, 2024, 02:08:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Need to change IP: MAC change ? release/renew ?  (Read 6585 times)

marcocalamassi

• Level 1 Member
Need to change IP: MAC change ? release/renew ?
« on: September 17, 2019, 08:04:43 AM »

Hi guys

Id like to get a new public ip address cause i suspect instagram has flagged my IP.

My ISP told me they cannot change it manually and that i should try unplug the router overnight and see it it picks up a new IP.

i tried but nothing changed.

Now they said i can do it from the router itself either changing the MAC or through the Release/Renew function (which i didnt find in my dlink dashboard)

Any help in doing this ? i could really use some help

thanks

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Need to change IP: MAC change ? release/renew ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 08:56:19 AM »

Make sure you turn off the modem as well as the router.  The only way you can change the MAC address is to go to Settings > Internet (Advanced Settings). Next to MAC Address Clone, select a device from the drop-down. This will have the router use the MAC address from the device you selected (computer, smart phone, etc) as the WAN/Internet MAC address. Save the settings. After the router reboots, unplug the power to your modem and router. If your modem has a battery backup, you need to remove the battery and let it sit for 5 minutes. Time may vary depending on your ISP.

Power your modem. Once booted, power on the router. In some cases, again depending on your ISP, you may receive a new IP address. If not, contact the ISP. They CAN give you a new IP address easily.  Changing the MAC address in most cases will do the trick.

marcocalamassi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 08:58:14 AM »

thanks man.

2 things: i dont have a modem, I simply have the ethernet cable from the wall plugged into the router.

second, i was thinking to change the router anyway....that would be like changing the MAC, right ? so i might go this routet cause this 850L is pretty old

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 09:02:40 AM »

Yes every network device has a unique MAC address so changing the router will have a different MAC address. 

The 850L is fairly old but still an AC router, so not that old :)  Try the clone mac address and reboot the router. At least you can use it until you get a new router.