• April 24, 2024, 02:20:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Networking Noob!  (Read 3462 times)

1ofthebody

• Level 1 Member
Networking Noob!
« on: July 16, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »

I have just purchased this router and am unfamiliar with networking and wanted some help. I bought this router for the obvious reasons, wireless, gaming etc. I wanted someone to help me configure the router for optimal settings to achieve maximum bandwidth and to allow multiple programs to run simultaneously without lag. I currently use the router for gaming and bittorrent use. I have only two computers connected one wireless and one wired. With my current config. I still occasionally experience lag spikes without bittorrent running in the background. I only changed some basic features like mac filtering and some other things that I cant think of right now without going into the interface to verify. I currently use a Linksys CM100 modem and the DLINK 4500 router wired to my desktop with a cat 6 wire. I only use the version 1.02 firmware that was currently on the router. And the version number of the router is an A1. Thats about as technical as I can get. Can someone help me configure it? Please. Thanks in advance.

arod

Re: Networking Noob!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 11:01:25 AM »

Wow aren't you a lucky one! You have a unit with 1.02 firmware? I would stay there since a lot of people would like to go back that version but can't.

There are FAQ's on dlink.com

What are you trying to achieve?

To get the best wireless performance, make sure the environment is clear from interference such as cordless phones and mirrors. Positioning of the router is also key.

Wired connection shouldn't be a problem.

If you're going to be using torrents you might want to check out gamefuel settings. Again, check FAQ's on how to set this up.

1ofthebody

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »

HI Ru-Fi-Oh, well I just wanted to get the best settings so that I can run bittorrent in the background while playing online. Right now if I were to try to do this I will lag extremely bad with my wired connection! Also some of the language on the web interface is not familiar to me like tcp/udp? What is the difference what happens if I enable both or just one on the special applications menu rule would it affect performance good or bad? Gamefuel page, how do I change it to enhance performance? You know things like that. Thanks for taking time in replying.

chipped

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 03:45:15 PM »

The best way to reduce pings when running bittorrent is limiting your upload speed, set it to 80% of your maximum upload speed. So if your on 5mbit upload, set t to 400KB/sec. As you go lower, your pings should too  :)