• April 24, 2024, 06:16:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: New to the board  (Read 3090 times)

cruisinco

New to the board
« on: April 10, 2008, 09:51:44 AM »

Hey guys this is my first post on the D Link forum, so be kind.

I was having a lot of issues too with media being really slow and choppy, and the audio not being synced,  but when I upgraded to 1.05 it fixed alot of stuff.  It was giving me problems with the Active TV also but I figured it was a new streamline product so some issues are expected.

I had issues with my AVIs mostly and I don't know if you know this or not but avi is not a format as many people think it is.  An AVI is a container that compresses a file, for example a Divx.  So a movie that you backed up to your HDD will be Divx AVI, it can't just be any AVI, that doesn't make sence. It will only say AVI on the file extension but it is definately encoded in some other format. AVI mpg4 are what EFC was talking about and that is what most UPnP devices in my house support. Both the PS3 and 520 do.

After not getting my 520 to work well with everything I had and with ActiveTV on a XP OS I built a windows 2003 server.  I figured this OS is designed for it and would better handle hard loads and interaction with various devices, and it localizes my files making backup much easier.  My only problem with that was the Dlink media server was not compatible with 2003, so I went with Tversity, another free media software.  Ever since I have had no issues with any media, and its faster because the server is there for one thing to server.  It is not bogged down by surfing the internet, anti virus, crap that has to be on a client computer, its an only internal server mind you.

Sorry for the rant but I think that TVersity helped solve many of my problems, maybe the new version 10 is better I havn't tried it.  And i know alot of people can't go out and buy a server, I could either so I kept my old computer when I upgraded and used that and its a pentium 3 and it works fine, probably 8 years old.  Well good luck to everyone on getting what they want out of this box.
Cheers

skeil909

Re: New to the board
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 07:38:28 PM »

I recently finished rebuilding an old server and thought I would test it out also. It's an older socket 604, dual Xeon 3.06Ghz, with 8gb of PC2100 ECC ram. It's running with an Intel PCI-X 4-channel SATA raid adapter.  Only has 4 x 80GB drives, so I have them setup as a raid 0 array for maximum speed and storage.

It is currently running Media Server v1.10 with 2003 Server. It's definitely nicer than serving from XP. It's especially nice on my Gigabit LAN.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 08:25:03 PM by skeil909 »