• March 28, 2024, 02:32:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DIR-615 C wireless is not reliable  (Read 55683 times)

hrbanana

• Level 2 Member
Re: DIR-615 C wireless is not reliable
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 01:07:58 PM »

wainbee, have you been able to try the WPA2/AES security settings on your box? From the spec, the router will default to 54g speeds unless WPA2/AES is used.

teto

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 12:57:35 PM »

Here's a way to make the DIR-615-C1 wireless work to get you on the internet.  This isn't a solution for everybody because it works by bypassing some of the new features of this router.

I have a DIR-615 ver.C1. Followed all instructions and used automatic setups to get initialized.  All 4 wired ports worked great but wireless could not connect, or couldn't renew IP address, or established a "weak" connection with no browser connect.

Next, I updated the firmware from 3.01 to 3.11NA.  Finally got a laptop to connect, ran for about an hour, then, when I fired up a second laptop, I was stunned to see the 1st laptop lose signal and the 2nd pick it up.  Then the 2nd laptop lost it's connection and from then on, neither would work together or alone.  Any engineers or software developers that get a sniff of this suspect one thing: bad code in the firmware!

I've spent days on this product and am convinced that the firmware routines for auto channel scan or auto security mode are not fully tested or simply do not work reliably.

Here's what DOES work though!  Force the router to work on a fixed channel and in a fixed security mode.

1.  Choose Manual Wireless Setup
2.  Disable Wi-Fi Protect
3.  Disable Auto Channel Scan - set to CH. 7
4.  Set security mode to WPA-Personal
5.  Set WPA mode to WPA only
6.  Set Cipher to TKIP
Note: no reserved IP addresses, no MAC address filtering or other fancy features employed

Thank you!!

Semesa2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 06:07:28 PM »

wainbee,

Your config worked for me as well.  I use the DIR 615C as an inexpensive Wireless N access point for my network (roku HD XR, laptops), so I am not missing the networking features.  Thanks for publishing your solution!

Semesa2

MnemonicMonkey

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »

I've been having the same DHCP issues with my router.  All my wireless clients were having trouble connecting any more than a couple days after restarting the router.  Tonight I actually had time to chase this down and sure enough, assigning a manual IP cleared everything right up.

I have a C revision running 3.01 and had already tried manual channel select (see below on selecting channels) and manual WPA/TKIP.  Tonight I disabled WPS and switched back to WPA2.  We'll see if WPS is the real culprit and go from there.  If not, I'll update firmware (though nothing is mentioned in the changelog about DHCP) and go back to WPA.

A note on selecting channels:  (speaking for the US here) Only channels 1,6, and 11 are truly clear channels.  If you look at the frequency list, you'll see that since channels are 20 MHz wide (10 up and 10 down), these three channels are the only three that won't overlap any.  So if your neighbors are like mine and are all preconfigured on channel 6, you should use 1 or 11.  Using 5 or 8 isn't going to do you much good.  There's a good tutorial here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/14250

caper_26

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 08:20:45 AM »

for those of you looking for a FW update,there is 3.12 beta version on dlink's ftp site(Canadian one)

where exactly?  Can't seem to find it.

caper_26

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 07:45:03 AM »

To those who get X360 drops, are you getting this in your DLINK Statistics > LOGS

Wireless system with Mac address (X360 MAC) disassociate reason 7

?

I had reason 8 for my Wii, log was filled with those entries.  No idea what it means.

freeborn

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 12:50:07 AM »

Hi guys, just registered to share my experience.
I have Firmware Version : 4.00 ,  Wed 22 Oct 2008 , i had a lot of wireless problems with it , when i turned on my Dell never been able to access the internet ,  but i was able to log in to the router (192.168.0.1) , sometimes the connection was  dropping off, not disconnected , just not able to use the network . Always needing to restart it .
 My problem was fixed when i updated my network card Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG to the latest driver .
Maybe this post will help some unsatisfied D-link owners.  ;)

Sorry guys it was working for some hours , but now its happening the same thing  :'( . to bad , dlink supposed to be good quality 

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 05:33:25 AM by freeborn »

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 11:22:08 AM »

dlink supposed to be good quality 

Sorry, but not within the past few years!!  I am in the process of dumping a DIR-628 (A2) that replaced my unreliable DIR-615 (B1) router.  D-Link is "flooding" the stores with bugging routers and make no attempt to provided a "viable" firmware process. 

skogmannen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 12:26:22 PM »

Here's what DOES work though!  Force the router to work on a fixed channel and in a fixed security mode.

1.  Choose Manual Wireless Setup
2.  Disable Wi-Fi Protect
3.  Disable Auto Channel Scan - set to CH. 7
4.  Set security mode to WPA-Personal
5.  Set WPA mode to WPA only
6.  Set Cipher to TKIP
Note: no reserved IP addresses, no MAC address filtering or other fancy features employed

Thank youuuuu! This solved the issue with my DIR-615 D1, FW 4.11!  ;D

JACrazy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 07:39:29 PM »

where exactly?  Can't seem to find it.
its out of beta now, go here: http://dlink.ca/products/?tab=3&pid=DIR-615&rev=DIR-615_revC
choose your country (or select Canada), go to firmware, scroll down and find v3.12

san

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 10:10:08 AM »

Hey

Please try to upgrade firmware. Download from Dlink website. 2 weeks before, I installed new firmware in router and since then there is no problem

Perihelion

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 09:43:53 PM »

I'm on my 2nd DIR-615.  The first one I had for almost a year with no problems and then all of a sudden I'd have to reboot it every couple of days or I wouldn't be able to reconnect to it when I restarted my laptop.  Even going to FW version 3.11NA didn't help and that was the most current at the time.  It tried a couple of other routers but found them to be much slower on throughput so I broke down and bought a new DIR-615.  The new one was fine for a month or so until it too started to develop the problem where I could get a radio link but no IP address.  I just updated to 3.12NA tonight, we'll see if reliability improves.  I got a Linksys 120N as a stopgap but its way too slow to be acceptable.  Returning it tomorrow...

Perihelion

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 07:34:51 AM »

Well, the Linksys is boxed up and going back to the store.  I ended up putting 3.12NA on both of my DIR-615 units. What did I have to lose?  Unit A (the old one) has been back in service for about 12 hours now and hasn't had any of the previous reconnect issues.  I remember when I flashed it to 3.11NA that the problems showed up right away.  I'll try to get a few more updates in over the next few days and weeks.

Perihelion

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 09:46:54 PM »

24hrs in and the new firmware is holding up great.  Throughput has been lightning quick like before and I haven't had any connection failures since I upped the firmware.

Perihelion

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 08:01:10 PM »

48 hrs in, still golden.  No reconnect problems in sight, no lag on the throughput.
Pages: 1 [2] 3