• March 28, 2024, 04:38:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: openDNS and Advanced DNS service setting  (Read 6318 times)

etxgmg

• Level 1 Member
openDNS and Advanced DNS service setting
« on: July 07, 2009, 10:09:48 AM »

I have this openDNS service I want to remove. I have never implemented any openDNS software, service or setting anywhere, I do not know where it has come from. But it started to appear when I bought a new computer and a new router, the DIR-855. I have thoroughly checked that the openDNS service is not on any of my computers and not on the ISP, so I guess it must have something to do with the DIR-855. I have fixed IP and my ISP DNS-servers set on the DIR-855 (not the DNS-servers of the openDNS service supplier), but I saw in another post in this forum that if something called "Actice DNS service" was enabled on the DIR-855 admin basic manual internet then this could mean that the openDNS service was enabled. Bingo. So I want to un-enable the "Actice DNS service", to turn it off. But I cannot find "Enable Actice DNS service" anywhere in the DIR-855 admin interface. Exactly where should this setting be? I have hardware version A2 and firmware version 1.12EU. The only thing I have found that is similar is the "Enable DNS Relay", but that is not the same? And unchecking it has no effect on the openDNS. I would be very grateful for all help with this.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 10:53:41 AM by etxgmg »

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: openDNS and Advanced DNS service setting
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:28:12 AM »

1.12eu has no "Advanced DNS Service" setting so you can't find it in the router's web menu.
This setting and open DNS service exist only in US (NA) firmwares.

Why do you think you have open DNS ? What are the DNS server IPs shown in the status menu in the WAN section when the router is connected ?

btw.: Open DNS is not so bad, I can see no difference between their servers and my provider's DNS.

etxgmg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:51:21 AM »

The status shows the DNS server IPs provided by my ISP.

I do have the openDNS service activated on my system somehow: 

Firstly it slows down my internet page access considerably because it says "waiting for block.opendns.com" for a long while for each and every page I want to access.

Secondly, a large number of sites are unaccessable bacause this service regards the site as improper! A large sign is shown saying that openDNS blocks this website.

For instance, a site such as myspace.com is impossible to reach, as are all websites related to file sharing P2P, or social networking sites. All those are censored. When I try to access myspace.com it says:
"Site blocked. myspace.com is not allowed on this network. This site was categorized as:
Dating, Social networking, Video sharing, Music"

(If I knew how to attach a jpg-image I could show a screenshot)

Of course I have emailed the support at opendns.com but with no reply.

This openDNS service is, in my opinon, very bad - it has severe negative impact - and I want it removed. If I knew where and how to do it...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:01:33 AM by etxgmg »

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »

ok, the profanity is going to end right now.  That is not a request, while your at it modify your posts to use vocabulary that doesn't need a profanity filter before I do it by hitting the remove and ban buttons.

Additionally I might add that if your browser shows that it is resolving block.openDNS then it isn't the advanced DNS feature you are wrangling with.  You are climbing the wrong tree.
non progredi est regredi

etxgmg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 10:58:58 AM »

Sorry about that word, I did not know it was offending, just another word for bad, maybe a little bit stronger. I have modified the posts now with the aim to make them fully proper. Hope this is alright. 

But if it is not the router, not the computer(s) and not the ISP, what could it be? Any suggestions? What should I look for?

Please help.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:04:06 AM by etxgmg »

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »

quite all right, thanks for working with me.  Not to sound condescending, but the profanity filter turning it to *'s should be a  clue.

I would check into the computer again, if your browser is separately resolving block.opendns.org then it has to be getting that order from somewhere, if you were just using the vanilla openDNS service (or the advanced DNS service, which to my knowledge does not block anything) it would be transparent in the original DNS resolution.  I would look for browser extensions and netnanny software.  While you are at it you might try booting to a liveCD Linux distro and see if you are blocked then.
non progredi est regredi

etxgmg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:10:36 AM »

Yes, thanks! I'll check those things.