• March 28, 2024, 12:46:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: OpenWRT on DIR-825 Rev. B1  (Read 105023 times)

Geraner

• Level 2 Member
Re: OpenWRT on DIR-825 Rev. B1
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  That's actually along the same lines that I've been thinking, but I can't figure out how to erase nvram.   ('erase nvram' does not work)

the 30-30-30 doesn't seem to work properly on the dir-825.  At the end of the 90 seconds, the power light is flashing orange and it's in the firmware upload mode (192.168.0.1)...
Same problem for me. Running erase nvram via telnet seems to work. But I still have Wifi problems after it. So actually I agree that this is not working as a reset on the DIR-825.
Also for me after 30-30-30 rest the powerlight is flashing orange.

Impossible to upload another firmware. Get always "Upload failed".
DIR-825 - HW: B1 - Firmware: 2.05WW Build05 Beta01
DNS-323 - HW: B1- Firmware: 1.08 Beta build 05

LuisGC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 03:13:44 PM »

Sounds like something's not being loaded correctly.

PM me the output of:
uname -a
opkg list_installed
lsmod

And I'll see how it compares with mine.

I find myself in the same situation as waffull. I installed dd-wrt but it wasn't working for me so decided to go back to openwrt. However, this time around, even though I upgraded the firmware and installed the packages without errors, I also get the 'unknow symbol' error and some modules don't get loaded. I tried loading them by hand with insmod, but still no success.

Futhermore, if I do 'wifi detect' I get an error:
Code: [Select]
root@OpenWrt:/sys# wifi detect
ls: /sys/class/ieee80211: No such file or directory

Have you guys figured out how to fix it?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:48:20 PM by LuisGC »

MajestacaL

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 03:38:13 PM »

Errr just looked at my dir-825 and its a rev A1  :( that just ruined my night I was so excited when I saw this post, but thats just how my luck always goes  >:(

mactalla

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 06:25:25 PM »

I find myself in the same situation as waffull.
Have you guys figured out how to fix it?

Not yet, but could you PM me the output from
opkg update;
opkg install pciutils
lspci -vv

We've begun narrowing down what his problem is, it'll be interesting to see if you're having the same issue.

LuisGC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 10:45:58 AM »

Got the wifi working again with openwrt!

Here's what I did:
1. Flashed router with the latest 'openwrt-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-squashfs.bin' build
2. Did the 30/30/30 hard reset
3. Connected and installed the hostapd and kmod-ath9k
and voila... it's working again (go figure).

I did have it unpowered for the night, don't if it has anything to do with that as well.

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 05:35:26 PM »

perhaps you may be able to install those two packages in ddwrt if you prefer it to openwrt.

Hellbore

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2010, 03:03:48 PM »

I have a DIR-825 and I tried dd-wrt with terrible results.

I started with a DIR-825 rev B1 with the stock 2.02NA firmware.

I installed dd-wrt following the directions, and it seemed to work and I could configure it with the dd-wrt web setup, but I had no wireless.

So, I flashed back the stock 2.02NA firmware, and reset it to factory defaults.  Now I could get into the web interface of the stock Dlink firmware... but still NO wireless!  The wireless LED's would not even turn on. 

Next I tried putting back dd-wrt, but now, if I flash dd-wrt onto the router, I have NO network at all.  I can't connect to dd-wrt at all, via LAN or WAN ports, and there is no wireless.  I can see that dd-wrt is booting, because the little world icon LED lights up that sickly purple color that only dd-wrt does when it boots.

I can still flash back the stock firmware, or I can flash on dd-wrt, or even OpenWRT, but I have NO wireless in any of these firmware.  It's like the wireless is broken now.

When I tried OpenWRT I followed ALL of the suggestions from this thread.  I thought I had the same problem that LuisGC described in this thread, except he was able to sold it, and I couldn't.

LuisGC says he got wireless fixed on OpenWRT like this:
1. Flashed router with the latest 'openwrt-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-squashfs.bin' build
2. Did the 30/30/30 hard reset
3. Connected and installed the hostapd and kmod-ath9k

I tried to follow those steps, but I could not use the file "openwrt-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-squashfs.bin".  The emergency flash page (accessed by holding down reset for 45 seconds) always says it has the wrong hardware ID.  I could only use the backup loader version, which i got from here:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-squashfs-backup-loader.bin

So I used that version of OpenWRT, did a 30/30/30 hard reset (which in my experience doesn't seem to work right on this router), and I installed the packages hostapd and kmod-ath9k.

Still no wireless!  I could see that the ath9k module was loaded but no wireless.

I couldn't add the radios with Luci because Luci is broken on the OpenWRT image I used.  It just returns at error "Not Found" when I browse to it.  Sigh.  I found a thread that says this is a problem in the sources of this build or something.  So I manually edited the wireless configuration file, using the settings I found in this thread.  Still no wireless.  The wifi detect command reports it can't find the radios.

I wanted to check my system logs for the error other people saw about symbols, but didn't know how, because I don't have Luci working and I don't know where that log resides on the system. 

Also, someone said they used the command "erase nvram".  I was never able to try this on my router.  Why?  Because that command doesn't work for me when I'm logged into openwrt, it says there's no such command or something.

waffull

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2010, 06:42:09 PM »

I wish I had some news (preferably good) for everyone, but I don't.

I'm guessing one of two things is going on:
1) dd-wrt loads a wireless driver that is getting stuck in an area of memory (some sort of eprom or something) that isn't getting cleared by re-flashing the unit, performing a 30-30-30 +10-10  (I don't think this works on the 825 at all,) or a 10-10-10, that also does not seem to do anything but at least conforms to the reset instructions from DLink.

2) dd-wrt loads a driver that somehow fries the wireless radios.  Thinking back, I did notice the unit was quite hot when dd-wrt was installed and running properly.  But I never made note of how hot it was running before, so that comparison may not be meaningful.

I have setup a DIR-655 so I have wireless again.  I'm going to continue to work with Mactalla (who has been a tremendous help, THANK YOU!) and hopefully we can come up with a solution and/or answer.

Hellbore

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 07:46:49 PM »

I wish I had some news (preferably good) for everyone, but I don't...

Thank you for your efforts, Waffull. 

Unfortunately I already exchanged my dir-825, and I'm too scared to put dd-wrt or openwrt on it again.  I don't have another router to use so I can't afford to break it again.

I kind of wish I had a spare or still had the first (messed up) one so I could be part of figuring this out!

Anyway Waffull it sounds like you are having exactly the same problem I was having.

Can I ask you one thing though, exactly which openwrt firmware file did you use, and where did you get it?  Can you link to it?  I ask, because the only one I ever used or could get to work, didn't have a working web interface (luci).  I see posts talking about putting openwrt on this router and having the web interface work, but I never was able to get the web interface to work.  If you did, please show me which file you used (link preferably).  I may give this another shot in the future if I see any promising news here.

waffull

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 08:07:44 PM »

Can I ask you one thing though, exactly which openwrt firmware file did you use, and where did you get it?  Can you link to it?  I ask, because the only one I ever used or could get to work, didn't have a working web interface (luci).  I see posts talking about putting openwrt on this router and having the web interface work, but I never was able to get the web interface to work.  If you did, please show me which file you used (link preferably).

At least you were able to get it exchanged:)

I got the file at: http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-squashfs-backup-loader.bin
(as of today, the latest release is Kamikaze (r19060), dated 1-5-2010)

It comes with parts of luci (webgui) built in, but you need to install the actual interface part:

opkg update
opkg install luci-admin-full
reboot; exit

Then you can access the web interface (default: http://192.168.1.1)

Hopefully we'll figure something out and if we do, we'll post it..

Take care...

Hellbore

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 08:41:48 PM »

That's odd, I tried the command

"opkg install luci-admin-full"

and it reported that this package was already up to date...

However when I opened up the webpage it would just say "Not Found".

waffull

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 08:52:38 PM »

That's odd, I tried the command

"opkg install luci-admin-full"

and it reported that this package was already up to date...

However when I opened up the webpage it would just say "Not Found".

I found the only way to get it to show up was to reboot the unit after installing it.

You could try:
opkg remove luci-admin-full
reboot;exit

opkg update
opkg install luci-admin-full
reboot;exit

Goodnight.

LuisGC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 05:09:47 AM »

I tried to follow those steps, but I could not use the file "openwrt-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-squashfs.bin".  The emergency flash page (accessed by holding down reset for 45 seconds) always says it has the wrong hardware ID.

You can install that one directly from LuCI, without the need to go to the emergency flash page.
If LuCI is not working for you, you can use the webif from x-wrt.

Geraner

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 09:15:59 AM »

What ever I try to upload, it always failes with the firmware update.
Always geht the message "Upload failed".

Any other way to flash the firmware? Via Telnet somehow?
Tried the opkg commands but I only get as answer "-sh: opkg: not found".

Impossible to flash the router to any other firmware.
Any suggestions?

Geraner

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »

I managed to flash the firmware with the mtd command.
Downloaded first the OpenWRT firmware to the router.

Will try more later. :-)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5