• March 28, 2024, 06:06:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How secure is my NAS?  (Read 27170 times)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: How secure is my NAS?
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 06:36:26 AM »

Windows can be configured to use either static or "automatic" (Dynamic/DHCP) addressing - the default is DHCP, and in most home networks, the router is the DHCP server.

Also - the most common reason for a "wirelessly connected" computer not to get an address by DHCP is mismatched encryption keys - so disable the encryption and verify that you have a connection and then re-enable it and reconfigure.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 03:09:15 PM »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but sticking RUBotted on your 32 but machines will pick up pretty quickly if something is running on your machine that you don't want. If your son uses a 32 bit OS then using this might make him more aware (or even interested in security) as it will show him what's going out.

Are you so sure that your son has got security isses on his net? I noticed a lot of people are very quick to jump on the bandwagon of assuming young=irresponsible. You might find he knows more about it and is already a couple of steps ahead of you ;)

Sincere1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 09:09:06 PM »

Unfortunately I'm painfully aware of just how little my son knows about security, we've had too many conversations about it leading up to this.  That's precisely why I decided the best option was to exclude his machine from my network.  He has gotten better, and now runs an antivirus and a firewall.  But he only came to that after his computer slowed to the point of almost stopping.  I'm washing my hands of it and moving on.

Fordem, thank you for the sterling advice.  So simple I should have thought of it myself - but I didn't.  After playing around with attempting completely unsecure, open connections, I took the matter to D-Link, who decided I have a bad DIR-615.  It appeared to me that it couldn't seem to dish out an IP address, but I can't confirm that.

The unit is being shipped back to D-Link, I should have a replacement in a week or two.  I'll post back then.

Thanks again...

Sincere1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2009, 08:26:32 PM »

Fordem, I hope you're still watching this thread.  I got the replacement DIR-615 and tried again, to no avail!  I get the same thing as with the last machine.  Setting both the router and my laptop to SECURITY DISABLED, I still can't connect.  The laptop can see the router signal (strong), tries to connect for a minute or so and quits.  It will connect to the other router, the DSL 2640B just fine.  I dread calling D-Link again.  Any ideas?

dirtbiker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2009, 04:27:49 AM »

Connect from the LAN port of the internet connected device to the WAN port of the second router.
Leave DHCP *enabled* on both routers.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2009, 08:07:14 AM »

Can we have a recap?  Are you daisy-chaining the routers?  If so, DHCP indeed MUST be enabled on both of them.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Sincere1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2009, 09:37:13 AM »

Yes, I am daisy chained, with the second router's WAN connected to first router's LAN.  I had internet right away through my desktop machine, connected to the second router.  The trouble was wireless connectivity.  But a solution was posted here (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=8415.0) and it works!  Bad firmware in the DIR-615, but a workaround!

Apologies for all this being essentially in the wrong forum.  It probably should have been in the DIR-615 forum in the first place, but when I started, my concern was protecting my new DNS-323 from the bad things my son might let in, so I asked my first question here.

Thank you all very much, and Merry Christmas!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 09:45:03 AM by Sincere1 »
Pages: 1 2 [3]