• April 23, 2024, 03:38:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DSM 320 to be Used with Directv DVR???????  (Read 4197 times)

mfoley9723

• Level 1 Member
DSM 320 to be Used with Directv DVR???????
« on: October 26, 2009, 07:35:45 PM »

I bought the DSM 320 Media Center four years ago and used it for at that time it's intended purpose - files of media, music etc to be viewed / transfered on tv from my computer.  I tossed it in a corner and haven't used it since.  NOW, I want to use my DSM 320 with my Directv DVR "ON DEMANDSERVICE" to download ONLINE movies or a TV series from their FREE directv web site. Normally, to do this you have a few options that will work per Directv.......1) Using my router, hook up a cable from the router directly to the DVR box and download the movie or 2) buy their wireless connection kit or their wireless router connection kit and connect that to my router and get the movie wirelessly from from the computer to the DVR.  What I'm wondering to save about a $100 dollars is - can I use the DSM 320 Media Center connecting it directly to the DVR to grab the download from their site via my laptop which has the main 320 Media software on it.  This computer is wireless getting its signal from the router and would would be the computer logging on to the Directv on demand page.  Will this file transfer work.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: DSM 320 to be Used with Directv DVR???????
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:37:54 AM »

What is the file type?

Download a file and try playing it back on the unit. The DSM-320 will not stream directly from the DVR as the device most likely does not have a UPnP AV media server.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mfoley9723

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:09:50 AM »

Not sure if I explained it well on my first post.  Normally, When you download a movie or program from Directv you go to your computer and select the file.  My router needs to have eithernet cable going from the router to the DVR.  Because my router is a long ways from my DVR, can the media center be connected to the routher via eithernet cable, then have the file sent from the media center wireless to the dvr.   

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:29:18 AM »

The DSM-320 cannot access the files on the DVR directly unless the DVR has a UPnP AV media server built in.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream