• March 28, 2024, 09:42:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Just bought DNS320 - What HDD do I need?  (Read 1957 times)

jase_31

• Level 1 Member
Just bought DNS320 - What HDD do I need?
« on: December 21, 2014, 03:31:34 AM »

Just bought a DNS320, and want to get a 1-2 TB HDD (first as a single drive), and then maybe a second to make RAID1.  What do I need?

WD suggest the red range for NAS? But the WD Webpage says WD desktop hard drives (WD Blue, Green, or Black) have been tested and are recommended for consumer RAID applications when using the drives in a RAID 0 (Stripe) or RAID 1 (Mirror) configuration (http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/996/~/support-for-wd-desktop-drives-in-a-raid-0-or-raid-1-configuration)

What is the better option (WD Blue or Green - or stick with Red?) for this NAS? Or should I be looking at something else? (seagate etc).  Can I add a second drive later and convert to RAID1 - Does the second drive need to be the same model as the first?

cable2

• Level 3 Member
Re: Just bought DNS320 - What HDD do I need?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 08:51:50 AM »

I would recommend the WD Red drives as they are rated for 24/7 use as in most NAS devices.  Other manufacturers have jumped on the "NAS" rated hard drives, but I have come to trust WD over Seagate especially.  Before you buy another drive to go with whatever you decide, I recommend you read this sticky...
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=52509.0
I have had trouble counting on Raid 1 and don't use it anymore but YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:44:34 AM by cable2 »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Just bought DNS320 - What HDD do I need?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 03:29:52 AM »

The only thing that I would disagree with cable2 on is the usefulness of RAID 1.  All our NAS boxes, servers and storage array are setup with RAID 1 which just works.  We have had disks fail but when replaced the array has rebuilt itself without any problems. 

The problems that people have with using RAID 1 generally fall into two categories - relying on it for backup (it isn't and never will be) and not being aware when a disk fails and replacing it in a timely manner.

Another thing I would recommend is that if you are going to use RAID 1 then you get both disks at the same time and start with the RAID array rather than having problems trying to create one later.