• March 29, 2024, 04:21:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: HTPC looses connection with the NAS irregularly - CIFS issue  (Read 4833 times)

Sambuccashake

• Level 1 Member
HTPC looses connection with the NAS irregularly - CIFS issue
« on: March 28, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »

Hi!

I've been using the NAS with XBMC and other media extenders and I've never had any issues
with connectivity. All users inside my network can access my volumes and read/write.

All of a sudden, XBMC have started acting up at the most odd times.
Playback stops and I'm brought back to where I selected my media file, upon resuming, XBMC can't find the file any more. If I scan the library and retry, THEN it picks up and just carry on.

This can happen at any time, 1 hour into a movie, after a few minutes, or maybe not at all!

When looking in the NAS log, I see the following:
"CIFS: Authentication for user [Media] has FAILED"

What's up with that, my NAS is wide open for all users in my network!
And remember, it NEVER denies access when I access the media file initially. It's always after quite some time.

And while this happens, I can access the shares and whatnot with the laptop and so on so it's definitely isolated to the client. (My HTPC)

The one thing that is new in the equation is that the HTPC is connecting via WiFi.
I have no clue why this should play a part of anything but I'd thought I'd mention it since I
think the issues started then.
(And no, it's not a connectivity issue between HTPC --> Router)

Running the 2.00 firmware

Anyone got a clue here?

Thanks in advance!

shabuboy

• Level 2 Member
Re: HTPC looses connection with the NAS irregularly - CIFS issue
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »

I know you said it is not "HTPC --> Router" but that is where I would start. The error on the NAS could be due to a timeout error from the HTPC. Video packets are a lot more sensitive than regular data packages, so you might never see those drops, since they can recover. Same goes for voice, very sensitive.

I would imaging HTPC is saturating its wi-fi connection, only way to tell for sure? Put it back on the patch cable. disable wi-fi and test.

But if you have no other issues with the NAS at the same time and only from the HTPC, it sounds as the HTPC might not have a lot of system resources to deal with it, that could be from RAM, CPU, wi-fi, etc.

Sambuccashake

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:10:33 PM »

Thanks for your input!

[didn't work]After starting this topic I went into the network settings on the NAS and disabled some "power saving" options on the WiFi circuit itself[/didn't work] because it "feels" like the WiFi connection somehow goes into hibernation and wakes up when I refresh XBMC.

But then again, the error message in the NAS is throwing me off that track so it's still somewhat trial and error at this point.

Do you really think it would throw that kind of error when it comes to a time out?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:32:30 AM by Sambuccashake »

shabuboy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:56:09 AM »

???

Did you mean to say "network settings on the NAS and disabled some "power saving" options on the WiFi circuit itself"?

The DNS-320 does not have a wifi nic. At least my does not.

But as I said, before playing around with settings I would test it without the wifi, as previously setup and go from there.

But yes, hard to tell what errors at what devices a timeout error would log. Unless a TCP capture is set.

Sambuccashake

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 12:06:05 PM »

No no, my HTPC's WiFi settings. (And it didn't work)

Sambuccashake

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 01:44:42 PM »

I've been using a ethernet cable for a few days and I can't remember running into any problems.
But why would streaming over wireless be so picky and result in these kind of issues?

I've got bandwidth to spare (usually max 720p vid and the router is very very close) and I've never noticed any problems before this.

It's a D-link DIR-655 router by the way.

shabuboy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »

Video and voice packets cannot compare to data. They are just picky, nothing to do with wifi.

However, you might also have an issue with wifi, but that would be between the router and the client. Interference might be an issue, or wifi signals on same channel, or drivers, or router firmware, etc. Hard to tell.