• April 16, 2024, 03:18:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 5GHz band disappearing  (Read 8740 times)

nfrelka

• Level 1 Member
5GHz band disappearing
« on: December 29, 2019, 02:48:55 PM »

I have a DIR-842 and the 5GHz band randomly goes out. It will then randomly come back maybe about 15 min later. Rebooting the router within the 15 minutes does not fix the problem. The only thing that works is waiting for it to come back. This is an issue because I have one device that only connects to 5GHz. I am not asking about why my device only connects to 5GHz. It always works with 5GHz and my router should be able to broadcast 5GHz 100% of the time. What I know:

1)The 5GHz SSID disappears from ALL of my devices. (Windows 7 laptop, Windows 10 laptop, Iphone 8, Iphone X, Macbook). I am sure it is not a device issue.
2)This has happened at four different places I have lived in the past couple years in different cities and environments. It is not an issue with location, other routers nearby, or router placement.
3)The 2.4 GHz SSID always works, even when the 5GHz goes out.

I know the three things listed above are true and will not spend time checking them, because I already have multiple times. Maybe it is some setting that I have wrong? I haven't changed anything from the way it came besides the password, so I have a hard time believing it is this either.

I have hardware version B2 and firmware 2.02 (which the login says is the latest version).

I really appreciate any help!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: 5GHz band disappearing
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 03:34:13 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
  Link> >FW Update Process
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Ensure that different SSID names are used between each WiFi 2.4/5Ghz radios. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighbouring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?

Is Smart Connect enabled? Does same thing happen if you disable Smart Connect?

• What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Ensure any devices with WiFi adapter drivers are updated.
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use a WiFi Scanner to find out. How many?

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

nfrelka

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 11:58:45 AM »

Link>Welcome!

What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case. Already answered this in original post
Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status. Already answered this in original post
What region are you located? Midwest
Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch? I have the most recent firmware according to the dlink router login. Never did a factory reset.
  Link> >FW Update Process
Was the router working before any firmware updates?  Never did a firmware update because it says I have the most recent firmware.

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL? Cable - problem has occured with four different ISP services so I do not see this being the issue.
What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have? Problem has occurred with four different modems so I do not see this being the issue

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Ensure that different SSID names are used between each WiFi 2.4/5Ghz radios. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighbouring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual. It is not anything in use by neighboring WiFi routers. Again, this has happened in four different homes so it doesnt have to do with neighboring routers.
What wireless modes are you using? I am not sure what this is.

Is Smart Connect enabled? Does same thing happen if you disable Smart Connect? I am not sure what Smart Connect is.

What wireless devices do you have connected?  Already answered this in original post
Ensure any devices with WiFi adapter drivers are updated. OK.
Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences? No
Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use a WiFi Scanner to find out. How many?

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.

Like I said before, its been in multiple homes anywhere from the same room as I use to a different floor of the house. Same issue. It is not router placement. Also, it works normal sometimes but then cuts out.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 07:42:22 AM »

"Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch? I have the most recent firmware according to the dlink router login. Never did a factory reset."

Please do a factory rest and walk thru the setup wizard and complete the setup process.

"What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have? Problem has occurred with four different modems so I do not see this being the issue"

What is the Mfr and model# of the current modem your using with the DIR router?

IF the factory reset fails to correct the 5Ghz radio disappearing, you'll need to contact D-Link support and ask for additional help and information. A RMA maybe needed.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.