• April 19, 2024, 03:33:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 Not Accessable - LEDs blinking wildly  (Read 7004 times)

Buckshot

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 Not Accessable - LEDs blinking wildly
« on: November 02, 2009, 04:58:49 AM »

Have a DNS-323 and recently added a second 1TB drive to it. It started disconnecting from the network on a regular basis and is now not reachable. Worked fine last night, got up this morning and the lights were blinking frantically and it seemed to have trashed my 8port switch (all the port LEDs were blinking frantically - not the regular pulse). Removed the drives, power cycled several times with no luck.
I removed both HDs and reset the unit; it seems to go through the initialisation sequence OK and hits a steady state condition but is still not reachable.
Can't remember what version of S/W but I upgraded it a few months back, think it was 1.07 with the BT fix.
Any ideas?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: DNS-323 Not Accessable - LEDs blinking wildly
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 05:19:29 AM »

Well, I can tell you for sure, the DNS-323 didn't trash your switch, it obviously did that all on it's own!  I'd reset it to factory defaults and see what you get.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Buckshot

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 06:37:04 AM »

When I went to work on my computer this morning the DNS and switch were both going nuts. Reset everthing and the switch is running fine; the DNS is non-responsive. Did something happen which caused the enet interface to behave badly and overload the switch - don't know!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 06:43:13 AM »

Well, the NAS would have been streaming data that made the switch appear to fail, but if it actually failed, that's not the NAS.  As you say, the switch is fine, so apparently there wasn't a failure there.

If a factory reset doesn't bring it back, it may be toast.

One thing to try if the reset fails, remove both drives (remember which slots they're in), and try powering up.  The NAS should power up with no drives, see if you can access it's web setup that way.

Buckshot

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 07:14:04 AM »

Thanks. Tried your suggestion - no luck. The unit seems to go through its usual start up routine for about 30 seconds, hits a steady state but no access via the web. I tried a different port on my switch and no luck either.

How do you do a factory reset? I have just been pulling the plug but have done nothing special other than that.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »

Hold the reset button on the back with power on for 15 seconds or more.

I'd do this with the disks out, to maximize the chances of success.

The unit may have just died, it can happen.

Buckshot

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 02:41:47 PM »

I tried the reset sequence. The dns did execute a reset but no admin screen :(
I loaded the easy search utility and it could not find it. Tried a different cable, different switch port etc
I can see the front panel blink when I do a refresh with the utility or when the switch pings it.
Any other ideas as the unit is out of warranty by a few months :(

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 03:21:38 PM »

I'm out of ideas, see what the D-Link folks have to say.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 04:29:07 PM »

Every test here seems to be in the same scenario.

NAS -- SWITCH --- PC

Have we tried eliminating the switch from the scenario and using a direct connection to the PC?

Default IP on the NAS is 192.168.0.32. Set a static IP on your PC in the same range (i.e 192.168.0.55), and attempt a connection to the web ui. Also attempt to remove both drives and start the unit up connected the same way i mentioned above and see if there is any luck that way. If none of this works it is possible something happened to your unit. Is the switch and the DNS-323 plugged into the same power source? Perhaps a surge went out that overloaded both units.

Buckshot

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 06:28:28 PM »

Well its all back up and running again (after I went to the store and bought another unit and it behaved the same way).

Looks like I am suffering from a Mac (or Mac user) problem. I was running the dlink s/w within parallels and it could not find the drive (I probably did not cfg something right). I tried the static IP approach but could not get it to work. When I moved to an old PC laptop, I could discover and configure the drive.

So, thanks for all your help and suggestions. In the end, I don't know what caused the failure this morning but I'm back to one drive in the bay for now until I am sure things are stable, then I'll try adding the second drive.