• April 17, 2024, 08:16:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Change volume name and/or share name  (Read 21277 times)

perazim

• Level 1 Member
Change volume name and/or share name
« on: November 04, 2011, 09:26:52 AM »

Running DNS-320 v2.00

How does one change the default Volume Name and/or Share Name?

I have several units and therefore duplicate names.

Thanks,

Perazim

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Change volume name and/or share name
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 09:45:40 AM »

Unfortunately, the names "Volume_1" and "Volume_2" are fixed not modifiable.  I use the IP address and/or mapped drive letter to distinguish between Volumes with the same name on my ShareCenters.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

perazim

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:59:10 AM »

I am using these with a MVIX player that only shows "Volume_1" with no ip or way to distinguish differences :-(

boedjel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 06:51:36 PM »

Actually there is a workaround for this issue, just follow these steps below:

1. From the web admin GUI (my firmware is v2.0), click Management -> Account Management -> Network Shares.
2. Click on New, then Next.
3. Click on Volume_1 (or Volume_2, depends on which volume you'd like to share), it will show sub folder(s) under that volume.
4. Tick one of the sub folder's checkbox, or click on New if you'd like to create a new folder, then click Next.
5. Follow the wizard (select users, access rights, etc), until finish.
6. We'll be back on Network Shares Settings form. Click on Volume_1 (or Volume_2), then click Delete.

That's all folks...

perazim

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 06:50:41 AM »

This workaround did not work for me. I also show v2.0 firmware but when I get to the point where I should check one of the folders to share or create a new folder, none of these options are available just selecting Volume_1. Sure you have firmware v2.0?

Perazim

cable2

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 07:02:45 AM »

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the answer, but when you follow the directions above and get to the point where the check box and Volume_1 shows, just put the mouse pointer on the words "Volume 1" and click once, it should highlight and drop down to show the sub folders.  Give it a try.  Good luck.

perazim

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 09:15:43 AM »

That did it. Thanks for the help.

albert

• Level 5 Member
    • SoHo NAS Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 05:44:19 AM »

Volume_x is basically Shared Folder so should be able to "change" by first deleting the existing one and create your own.
D-Link DNS-320 rev A1 (FW: 2.05) [FFP-0.7]
PCI NAS-01G (FW: Encore ENNHD-1000 4.10)
PCI NAS-01G (FW: OpenNAS 1.9]

Axel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 12:15:00 PM »

-- Notations used in this post:

- Browser tab:      /TabName\
- Button:         [Command]
- Folder:         !/_/FolderName
- Marking,
 selectors, etc.:   [_] , [X] , [v] , (_), (o)

- New icon:         (+)New
- Volume disk
 hardware:         !U!VolumeName

- Windows network
 drive:            [_ii]DriveName (\\NAS_Name) (X:)   (\\NAS_Name) or (\\NAS_address)

- Volume viewed
 as (root) folder:   !/U/VolumeName

-- Few premises first:
- The default VolumeNames in D-Link NAS (2 disks) are "Volume_1" and "Volume_2". There are NO workaround to change such VolumeNames. This is not the purpose of this post but let's assume the VolumeNames can be changed in "hard" way, such as:
a. Telnet, connect to NAS, Linux commands for VolumeName changing...;
b. In ShareCenter, Management, System Management, System Settings, > Configuration Settings, Save Configuration Settings [Save], download Backup_Config file (XML or ZIP[XML]), edit Backup_Config file, Load Configuration Settings [Choose File]/[Load]...;
For the last one, please read: "Custom SMB Share Names" at http://dns323.kood.org/howto:change_share_name

- VolumeNames are NAS thing and for Admin purposes only. The Network Users see ShareNames only, instead of VolumeNames and FolderNames;

- For Sharing purposes D-Link ShareCenter considers Volumes as Folders - special attention must be paid to this;

- ShareCenter makes the ShareNames the SAME as the FolderNames (or VolumeNames), EXCEPT if a ShareName ALREADY EXISTS - Admin is prompted to choose a different name - this makes a workaround possible, fooling ShareCenter with temporary folders - the real purpose of this post.

-- Workaround to Change SHARENAMES:
- Important: a Multi-Tab Browser is suggested for this procedure;
- Important: in this example the default "Volume_1" name will change to "Audio". In order to prevent any confusion it is suggested to use the opposite "Volume_y" (Volume_2, in this example) as support Volume when deal with "Volume_x" (Volume_1, in this example), for better procedure, however it is possible to use the same Volume as support and rename at Admin's choice and risk or in case of single-Volume NAS;
- Important: if Volume(s) have or will have different name(s), such as change "Volume_2" to "Video", it is suggested to copy this procedure, paste into Notepad (or Notepad++), edit file accordingly those name(s), read/check once more, print or keep open during procedure;

(1) Login to NAS through ShareCenter (ex.: 192.168.0.18);

(2) Click on [Applications] button, click on [My Files] icon, it will open another tab (@right) which from now on we refer to as /My Files\;

(3) In previous login tab (@left), click [Management] button, click on [Account Management] icon, click on [Network Shares] at left bar, from now on we refer to this tab (@left) as /Network Shares\;

(4) Disconnect (un-map) [_ii]Volume_1, using Windows Explorer or D-Link Storage Utility, at least in the computer this procedure is running. Details are not the purpose of this post.
(4.1) Windows Explorer: Tools, Disconnect network drive...;
(4.2) D-Link Storage Utility: login to NAS, select "Volume_1", [Disconnect]...;

(5) In /Network Shares\ tab (@left), Network Shares Settings table, click on "Volume_1" ShareName, it becomes red bold;
(5.1) It is suggested to click [Modify] button, without any changes, take note of all settings before proceed;

(6) Click [Delete] button and [Yes] button. In /Network Shares\ tab (@left), it will disconnect the Folder from its ShareName ONLY - no Folder or File will be deleted;

(7) Go to /My Files\ tab (@right), click on !/U/Volume_2 (root) at left bar, in order to open it, click on (+)New icon, write in the field the exact VolumeName of which ShareName will be renamed, in this case [Volume_1   ] - copy and paste the VolumeName if necessary - click [OK] button, the !/_/Volume_1 temporary Folder is created (Path: Volume_2/Volume_1);

(8] Go to /Network Shares\ tab (@left), click on [New] button in order to connect a new ShareName to a Folder, click [Next] to "1. Select Share Folder", click on !/U/Volume_2 (root) to open it, select [v] !/_/Volume_1 temporary Folder, click [Next] to proceed - the ShareName will be the same as FolderName by default, "Volume_1" - it cannot be changed -, [Finish] the temporary sharing connection, it doesn't matter much since this temporary connection will be deleted later. Path: Volume_2/Volume_1 can be seen in Network Shares Settings table;

(9) Continue in /Network Shares\ tab (@left), click on [New] button once again, click [Next] to "1. Select Share Folder",  select [v] !/U/Volume_1 (root, actual Volume) this time, click [Next] for Accounts, click [Next] for Access Rights...,
(9.1) And now a "Warning: Share name is repeat or length exceed 80 characters, please modify it" will appear - ShareCenter requests to change ShareName because "Volume_1" ALREADY EXISTS. Type "Audio" in Share Name field for this example, or any ShareName more intuitive for Network Users;
(9.2) Proceed the Share settings and protocols, clicking [Next] button - or according to the settings noted in step (5.1) - [Finish] the definitive sharing connection: "Audio" connected to the !/U/Volume_1 (root, actual Volume, Path: Volume_1 in Network Shares Settings table);

(10) Continue in /Network Shares\ tab (@left), Network Shares Settings table, click on "Volume_1" temporary ShareName (connected to Volume_1 temporary Folder created, Path: Volume_2/Volume_1), it becomes red bold, click [Delete] button and [Yes] button;

(11) Go to /My Files\ tab (@right), right-click on !/_/Volume_1 temporary Folder created under !/U/Volume_2 (root) at right window, Path: Volume_2/Volume_1 - please BE CAREFUL TO SELECT THE CORRECT TEMPORARY FOLDER -, click "Delete", click [OK], the temporary folder is not necessary anymore; 

(12) Connect (map) [_ii]Audio (new ShareName) to an available drive letter, using Windows Explorer or D-Link Storage Utility, first in the computer this procedure is running. Details are not the purpose of this post.
(12.1) Windows Explorer: Tools, Map network drive...;
(12.2) D-Link Storage Utility: login to NAS, select the new ShareName "Audio", [Connect]...;
(12.3) It is suggested to keep the same drive letter previously connected to [_ii]Volume_1 as network Users are used to - it is necessary to do step (4) and this one in all computers and devices which [_ii]Volume_1 was connected/mapped to;

I hope this helps. Have fun.