• April 16, 2024, 09:47:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Freeze up and fans goes wild.. upgrade got it worse  (Read 21587 times)

ben.page

• Level 1 Member
Re: Freeze up and fans goes wild.. upgrade got it worse
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 10:55:30 PM »

sounds like i'm currently doing a factory reset for nothing then. great.

DLC that is *exactly* what is happening with mine. i have 4 x 1tb seagates though. raid 5. by just posting in this forum, does that make dlink look at the problem and respond???

ViviOrunitia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 04:33:38 AM »

Hmmm. Guess I shouldn't expect much improvement from the factory reset after it finishes syncing tonight.

Just throwing it out there that I'm using a similar setup. 4 X 1.5TB WD drives in RAID5.

DLC where did you get access to the beta firmwares? I might have to give that a shot.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 10:00:41 AM »

I have been having the same problem (fan stay on and NAS freeze up) for the past six months, this seems to get worse with this official 1.30 FW. The symptoms I have observed so far is as the temperature increases and at the same time some large set of data are being written, the fan will will kick starts and system will freeze up in about 10 seconds time. And connection to NAS will be lost, access the the web GUI is not possible but NAS LED is still working normally. Tried power down the NAS by holding on to the power button, the 'Shutting down ...' message will appear like forever while the fan is still blasting away (tried left it in that state for 24hrs before and it is still blasting away, always ended up unplugging the power cable).

A few days ago, I tried reset to factory default and reconfigure the setup to my own settings. Then encountered another freeze last night, it is re-syncing now. D-Link should be looking into this. This seems to affect people using Raid 5. I have 4x1T WD HD configured under Raid 5. I had also encountered a fan-blasting-freeze when doing a scandisk through the webgui.

I also recalled that using one of the beta fw version (cannot remember which one as I tried out every one just hoping to solve this big issue), this freeze never did happen for that beta version, the fan will kick start when getting too hot while writing data to the NAS, the NAS became not responsive for a few seconds then became normal and continue with the writing.

So your saying you were having this issue and it went away using one of the betas then the issue came back with the official 1.03?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

DLC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 04:30:03 PM »

So your saying you were having this issue and it went away using one of the betas then the issue came back with the official 1.03?

Yes, using one of the past beta fw version, the fan started blasting and the freeze occurred only momentary and after the system cooled down, the fan slow down also (at least I don't hear it). Intially I suspected that it may be due to Western Digital HDD Time-Limited Error Recovery (TLER) with RAID, but it seems more like the activation of the fan interrupted some internal process causing a freeze that does not affect the LED display. Also with or without funplug, the freeze still happen with official fw 1.03.

So now I added a external fan to blow against the NAS to lower the temp + breaking up data copy over to the NAS in smaller chunks to reduce the likelihood of another freeze. I removed this external fan hoping a factory default may resolve this by it did not. Hope my findings can help D-Link in making this product more stable.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 04:38:41 PM by DLC »

ben.page

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 04:50:51 PM »

I tried 1.01 (the box came with this), 1.02, 1.03 beta (b60 i think?) and 1.03 proper and had the same problem regardless..

salmiakx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 04:51:45 PM »

I just wanted to tell you peolpe what happend to this case...

I contacted DLINK support in sweden.. And they sent me a replace of the NAS i had.
I talked to a guy there who sayid that they ran a dns-343 on in there test-net and hade run a Beta-driver for about 6 month that had been really stabel. He email me a link to download the same firmware they used.

I got the new NAS and upgraded the firware to that beta. It is beta 1.03 but i dont now if it is the same that dlink has on it support site.

<-- thats the link that they gave me.

If that link is broken you can get it from my own site at:

I have run this firware for over a week now an pushed it whit big heavy files and it works great.

Happy to say that whit the new NAS i didnīt lost any data. It just sync for about 20 hours. Most of the setting in the config was there to. But i reloaded my from my config-backup and everything works great.

Also the NAS runs cooler and the fan doesnīt work that much anymore.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:19:05 PM by D-Link Multimedia »

twg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 05:10:03 PM »

Anyone else try this beta and have the problem fixed ?

I just bought the NAS, upgraded to 1.03 right away, put in 4x 1.5 WD Green drives, changed HD settings to prevent the head parking thing and also enable TLER.

I was copying data from my DNS323 to the 343 but after 500gigs out of 1TB transferred, exact same thing happened, 343 froze, I tried to shut down, but it just sat there... after I pulled the plug and reset it took 24hrs to resync...

twg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 09:49:36 AM »

be careful with the above, I tried to downgrade to v1.03b60 and my 343 hung after uploading the fw and now its bricked...

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 05:20:31 PM »

Do not post links to OLD betas on these forums from non-dlink sites. On top of that B60 was riddled with critical bugs including data corruption. Links have been removed.

Mr.Bogus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 05:36:11 AM »

Do not post links to OLD betas on these forums from non-dlink sites. On top of that B60 was riddled with critical bugs including data corruption. Links have been removed.
Thats good - some reaction. Solution please.

davechap

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »

This problem is related to the upnp server on the dns343. I have 4x1tb seagates in mine - was running raid5. With the upnp server enabled under fw 1.02, it would reliably hang on me (couldn't see it any more from XP or vista & the fans just turn on & stay on) every couple of days. Front panel didn't work after that - only solution is to pull the power plug and reboot it cold. Erk. 

As soon as I disable the upnp server, the problem goes away. Upgraded to fw 1.03 a while back and re-enabled the upnp server to see what it would do - the problem was worse - usually hangs and the fans turn permanently on within an hour or two rather than within a day or two of the server being up, regardless of whether or not the 343 was being accessed or not. Reformatted it to JBOD to see what it'd do, which gave me more space I needed anyway. Same problem happens under JBOD when I re-enabled the upnp server, so it's not a upnp/raid linked issue - it's just related to the upnp server somehow.

Now I run tversity on a spare pc and that acts as my media server with upnp on the 343 permanently off. That's a pity as it means I have a pc on I don't need and I can't use the upnp function of the 343 which is the main reason I purchased it, but everything works without a hitch at least in this config.

If someone CAN fix the dns343's upnp server with a fw upgrade - that'd be brilliant - it's definately broken. Oh and while you're at it, can you PLEASE give us better config options than "Root yes or no". Really - ignoring the fact that it hangs the box - it's about as basic as it gets and could really use some work.

sdm9465

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 09:11:08 AM »

This problem is related to the upnp server on the dns343.
I don't think so.  I have the upnp server disabled on mine and I still experience the problem.

davechap

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 04:43:31 AM »

Well ... it was a good theory!!!

In any case, I don't get the problem with the server off, so there's some commonality there that I'm sure the dlink techs will love to get their teeth into, so we'll see a fw upgrade rsn ... :-)

dice1111

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 03:54:42 PM »

FYI:  salmiakx the OP was having trouble because his DNS-343 bricked after he updated his firmware. I have just done the same thing.

All it does is restart over and over. It had locked up I guess after loading firmware. It even got to 100% as well... >:(

I will be calling DLink for another unit.

Dice

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »

FYI:  salmiakx the OP was having trouble because his DNS-343 bricked after he updated his firmware. I have just done the same thing.

All it does is restart over and over. It had locked up I guess after loading firmware. It even got to 100% as well... >:(

I will be calling DLink for another unit.

Dice

Are you running Raid 5? Try popping out the 4th disk and restarting and let me know how it goes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3