• March 28, 2024, 04:49:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Windows SBS 2003 Unable to access share…  (Read 11070 times)

derekf

• Level 1 Member
Windows SBS 2003 Unable to access share…
« on: November 07, 2008, 02:25:20 PM »

I have an SBS 2003 SP2 box that cannot access the shares on a D-Link DNS 323. From the SBS box I can ping the devise, log into the web console and see it through the Easy Search Utility. I have assigned it a static IP address in the reserved DHCP address range.

I first attempted to access the drive through windows explorer “\\192.168.xx.250\Volume_1” but received the following error. \\192.168.xx.250\Volume_1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied.

I then attempted to use the Easy Search Utility to map a drive. The utility informs me it was successful mapping the drive but when trying to access I’m told “an error occurred while reconnecting Z: to \\xxx\Volume_1  The local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored. I disconnected the mapped drive re started server and NAS devise and tried again be same result.

I have update to Firmware 1.05 and double checked all the NAS in the web console but nothing appears to be out of place. Plugging the NAS devise into my laptop Ethernet port it works fine.

Any ideas?

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
Re: Windows SBS 2003 Unable to access share…
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 03:59:32 PM »

Without a lot of detail on what's been done on the SBS side of things (i.e. GPO's, DNS, WINS, etc.) I would suggest looking at the items below:

1) WINS enabled on the SBS 2K3 DC

2) DNS-323 'workgroup' name matches the SBS 2K3 NetBIOS Domain Name?

3) Was the NTLM Compatibility Level

4) Are there User/Groups accounts in the DNS-323

Here's a couple of MS KB articles as well:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318030
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913628/en-us

Make sure to capture current values before applying changes.  Also, verify access to the DNS via a non-domain workstation.  If you have added user accounts in the DNS-323, save your config, remove the accounts and restart the device.

Cheers,

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 06:01:09 PM »

I could be wrong on this - but I do not think you will get the DNS-323 to work in a domain environment.

What is happening in this case is the domain controller itself (the Small Business Server) is unable to determine what resources on the DNS-323 the user is authorized to have access to.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 06:36:40 PM »

I've been using the DNS-323 (f/w 1.05) & DNS-343 (f/w 1.02) in my domain for quite a while now; my DNS-323's & DNS-343's are configured with the same 'workgroup' as the Active Directory (A/D) NetBIOS domain and all clients on the domain can easily access the shares.

The DNS's have no users & groups configured in them so essentially, it's 'Anonymous' access.  If you configure Users & Groups in the DNS, you will encounter issues if the NTLM Compatibility level is not set to support SMB ... plenty of 'Google' articles out there.

Hopefully, D-Link Engineering will look to introduce integrated A/D support in a future release so as to provide integrated folder permission management using A/D User & Groups ... the DNS-343 does provide A/D integration but it doesn't work correctly at this time and produces the same message you are seeing.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=2561.0

In the interim,

Try removing Users & Groups from the DNS if they exist, make the DNS 'workgroup' name the same as the A/D NetBIOS domain name, and ensure that your DHCP, DDNS (forward & reverse) lookups, and WINS are properly configured with the DNS-323 ... after you restart the DNS, that should solve you connectivity issues

If not, you'll need to provide more information about your A/D configuration as the DNS will not be the source of the problem.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 06:53:03 PM by hilaireg »

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 09:43:47 PM »

I'll go out on a limb and propose you look into whether or not you need the enhanced security of SMB Signing, which was introduced in Server 2003, provided your domain functionality level is 2003 (or 2008) native:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379

Remember this impacts the security and integrity of your domain, so use care if you go down this route.

It's probably just best to enable Anonymous access to the 323 and forget about users & groups.  I'm naturally curious for what purpose a 323 would have within a domain environment.  It would have been far cheaper (though less secure) to attach a plain old USB hard drive to a 2003/2008 server; or get a Windows Storage Server from a major vendor.. they're cheaper than you might think. 

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 09:33:10 AM »

Hi 'ttmcmurry',

It's a bit of 'guess work' on how this SBS environment has been configured ... more information is required. 

I'm going to venture a guess though, that SMB Signing has most likely not been altered.  SBS 2K3 & SBS 2K3 R2 only support 2003 Forest & Domain Native Mode - 2008 is not an option.  Additionally, SBS 2K3 is always the Forest Root by product design - it also does not support inter-forest trusts as the product is scaled for the small business sector.

My experience with external USB HDD's attached to a member or domain controller has been very unfavourable and I advise most folks against such a strategy.  A NAS (such as the DNS) is a great  'public' network storage alternative as it typically requires very little management once configured - no A/V, no constant Windows Update, and very reasonable in cost (mostly hardware).

In a small business environment, the NAS can help offload I/O from the server by storing 'public' or 'common' files that are not sensitive in nature and that need not be backed up.  If the data is sensitive and/or critical in nature, then other storage means should be looked at - such as a Windows Storage Server or larger disk capacity on the SBS server if a single server environment is desired.  In such cases however, the cost will be higher that a NAS once you factor in disk capacity requirements & the backup solution.

Cheers,

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 03:06:22 PM »

The 323 really isn't designed with AD in mind, and short of disabling SMB Signing and setting the 323's workgroup to be the same as your domain name (*), there aren't many good suggestions out there.

NIS isn't supported or provided on the 323 - which makes Unix user & group mapping a very manual process.  It's a b*tch to setup anyway -- had to do this at work for three servers running VMWare ESX Server 3.5.  Plus, even if you got it set up on one machine, you would have to manually go out and set it up on every other machine *because* you can't re-share a Unix Share from your SBS.  Oh, and you have to install the Subsystem for Unix Applications on every system to get the nfsmgmt.msc Console so you can do the mapping.  Total TimeWaster™

* Don't forget your usernames & groups in AD must not have spaces in them if you want the 323 to map them properly to its internal users & groups list.

Pretty Bleak for AD support, I'm afraid.

Microsoft made things difficult for Li/Unix.  There really aren't many small, inexpensive, and redundant storage devices for Small Businesses (staff of < 50).  Windows Home Server doesn't have AD support; it's a really stripped down version of Windows Storage Server, so that's not what you need either. Perhaps if I had some insight as to what hardware your SBS is made of, then I could make a better "Microsoft" suggestion. 

Going down the USB/Firewire path, something like this is a great idea: 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136137

It's internally RAIDed for your mirroring pleasure and because it's a Windows-native device you won't have to worry about Linux or NFS or SAMBA. 

Travis
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 03:14:57 PM by ttmcmurry »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 02:18:36 PM »

The DNS-323 currently does not support Domain network configurations.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Leathal

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 06:22:02 AM »

If you want a network drive that supports AD I would look at getting intel's SS4200-E NAS.. It's GBit and supports up to 4 SATA 2 hard drives as well as it's got a eSATA port on the back so you can dasy chain more SS4200-E units onto the back without having to network them together.

The company I do contract for for has its older sister.. the 4000-E which is slower as it only supports SATA I, but does also support AD.

I do want to mention that my 323 which two Seagate 1TB hard drives worked very well on my SBS 2003 PE network. It's just sitting here with my 1.5TB hard drives not running right now because Dlink won't release the firmware update! :(

A.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 06:23:42 AM by Leathal »

espiritu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 07:47:40 AM »

I do want to mention that my 323 which two Seagate 1TB hard drives worked very well on my SBS 2003 PE network. It's just sitting here with my 1.5TB hard drives not running right now because Dlink won't release the firmware update! :(

A.

i have a similar problem but with v1.05 i at least can format and run my 2 1.5tb drives as separate drives, just no RAID yet.

Leathal

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 01:58:24 PM »

Well I took my 323 into the office today because a guy I work with who has the 321 Dlink posted in the 321 forum how he was able to inject his script into the Dlink web interface and force the 321 to form his two 1.5TB hard drives in RAID 1 (mirror).

He did the same thing for me on my 323 today and presto I have two mirrored 1.5TB hard drives that the interface shows the full compacity of. I ran a bunch of tests before heading home by dragging and droping media files, large files, etc and it works without any problems. Why Dlink won't act faster and release the upgraded firmware for the 323 IDK!

I will as the guy I work with who formatted my drives did say his software inside these 32x NAS's is very iffy at best. I suggested he could write his own and offer it as an upgrade making charging people $10 per copy, or take donations like guys who have rewritten the code for Linksys router products have done he may just find most of Dlink's customer not wasting anymore time with Dlink customer service and support anymore. :)

A.

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 07:41:50 PM »

While the 323 isn't designed to work on an active directory domain- and the upcoming firmware will support 1.5TB drives - the one thing I've never had a problem with is reliability of the 323's firmware. 

Yeah, there have been issues with the UPnP AV server and some security 'issues' (which for a consumer device behind a router isn't a serious issue) -- the last thing the 323 has been was unreliable.  I've never had it lock up, behave strange, be unusually slow, reboot for no reason.. it's been completely reliable.

I'll go out on a limb and mention that even with ffp 0.5 installed, the 323 has been just as reliable as it were with the stock firmware alone.  D-Link has done a good job with providing new features while maintaining a stable product.  Yeah, I'd like to see smaller, more frequent updates with fixes or new features; aside from that the 323 has exceeded my expectations.  It does more than indicated on the product packaging.