• May 11, 2024, 09:37:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGL-4500 Slow connection when using Xbox360 as Media Center extender.  (Read 5754 times)

Louie

• Level 1 Member

I've followed the stickies for 300Mbps connection as-well as Gaming and GameFuel Setup Information - XBox Live.  I've checked my firewall and my outside internet connection works fine, it's just my home network speed that seems to run really slow. 

Any advice on how I could speed up this connection would be helpful, I can provide any other information about my network if necessary.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Please let us know how slow or what leads you to think that your network is slow?

What HW version is your router?

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?

Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual?
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? WEP, WPA or WPA2? Preferred is WPA2.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area?

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Louie

• Level 1 Member

Please let us know how slow or what leads you to think that your network is slow?

It takes a very long time to connect to media center, once connected the menus are nearly unnavigable.  There is a delay of anywhere between 10-120 or more seconds when trying to navigate the main menu.  Video/audio streaming does not load at all.

I'm not sure what HW is, Hardware version?  It is the dlink DGL-4500

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL? Dsl
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router? Built in router, wifi disabled.

Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual? I don't know what this is.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. The menus I have are Basic, Advanced, Tools, Status and help, I don't see anything that says setup other than the basic setup wizard.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router. how?
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address. I think they are.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP. done.

What wireless modes are you using? I've tried n only, n and g and Mixed n, g, b.  Changing this setting doesn't seem to change the speed of my connection at all.  I have an older laptop that will only work with 802.11b and a wireless printer that will only work with 802.11g, so getting this to work with mixed mode would be ideal if at all possible.
Try single mode G or mixed G and N? I have.
What security mode are you using? WEP, WPA or WPA2? Preferred is WPA2. WPA2
What wireless devices do you have connected? 2 Laptops, 2 Iphones, wireless printer, 1 desktop, 2 Bluray, 1 xbox.
Any cordless house phones? Yes, none near my router.
Any other WiFi routers in the area? My built in dsl router has been disabled, all my neighbors have wifi, but I don't think we're on conflicting channels due to the fact that my internet connection is very strong.

I don't have time to really test anything tonight, tomorrow afternoon I will be able to.  I'm trying to answer these questions to the best of my knowledge, but I'm not sure about some of them.  Thanks a lot for your help.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Possible that delays could be something on the xbox.

It takes a very long time to connect to media center, once connected the menus are nearly unnavigable.  There is a delay of anywhere between 10-120 or more seconds when trying to navigate the main menu.  Video/audio streaming does not load at all.

I'm not sure what HW is, Hardware version?  It is the dlink DGL-4500 THere is a sticker under the router that says HW version: A#?

What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router? Built in router, wifi disabled.
 It's preferred to bridge the DSL modem if it has a built in router and let the 4500 router do all the networking management.
Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Basic/Internet/Manual? I don't know what this is.
Turn on DNS Relay under Basic/Networking. The menus I have are Basic, Advanced, Tools, Status and help, I don't see anything that says setup other than the basic setup wizard.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router. how? Use Basic/Networking and select the Reserve word link for each device listed under Dynamic Clients section. This will auto fill in the DHCP reservation section. Give it a name so you know what it is. Then select ADD.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address. I think they are.

What wireless modes are you using? I've tried n only, n and g and Mixed n, g, b.  Changing this setting doesn't seem to change the speed of my connection at all.  I have an older laptop that will only work with 802.11b and a wireless printer that will only work with 802.11g, so getting this to work with mixed mode would be ideal if at all possible.
What wireless devices do you have connected? 2 Laptops, 2 Iphones, wireless printer, 1 desktop, 2 Bluray, 1 xbox.
Any cordless house phones? Yes, none near my router. Possible that this cordless phone can interfere with wireless on the router.
Any other WiFi routers in the area? My built in dsl router has been disabled, all my neighbors have wifi, but I don't think we're on conflicting channels due to the fact that my internet connection is very strong.

I don't have time to really test anything tonight, tomorrow afternoon I will be able to.  I'm trying to answer these questions to the best of my knowledge, but I'm not sure about some of them.  Thanks a lot for your help.

Possible that we might use teamviewer.com to check your routers settings.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Louie

• Level 1 Member

It takes a very long time to connect to media center, once connected the menus are nearly unnavigable.  There is a delay of anywhere between 10-120 or more seconds when trying to navigate the main menu.  Video/audio streaming does not load at all.

What HW version is your router? A2

What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router? Modem is now bridged.
Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Basic/Internet/Manual?

On Basic/Internet/Manual, there are no ip's being filled in currently.  I really don't know what your wanting me to do here.

Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option. They are off.

Turn on DNS Relay under Basic/Networking. It is on.

Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router. They are reserved.

Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address. They are.

What wireless modes are you using? I've tried n only, n and g and Mixed n, g, b.  Changing this setting doesn't seem to change the speed of my connection at all.  I have an older laptop that will only work with 802.11b and a wireless printer that will only work with 802.11g, so getting this to work with mixed mode would be ideal if at all possible.
Any cordless house phones? Yes, none near my router.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:54:37 AM by Louie »

Louie

• Level 1 Member

When transfering data between computers on my network, I average speeds of around 800KB/s.  That is around 299 times slower than what the router is supposed to be capable of.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  After turning off all other devices, disabling all firewalls, bridging my modem and doing everything else I can think of, the connection is still very slow.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

When transfering data between computers on my network, I average speeds of around 800KB/s.  That is around 299 times slower than what the router is supposed to be capable of.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  After turning off all other devices, disabling all firewalls, bridging my modem and doing everything else I can think of, the connection is still very slow.

Ok, that makes sense now.
What kinda of LAN connections are you making? Wired on both or mixed Wired and Wifi?
If Wired only. What connection speeds are you seeing? 100Mb or Gb connections?
CAT 6 is preferred, Cat5e minimum for cables.
Make sure the PCs are not running any anti virus or firewalls temporarily to test.

Louie

• Level 1 Member

Ok, that makes sense now.
What kinda of LAN connections are you making? Wired on both or mixed Wired and Wifi?
If Wired only. What connection speeds are you seeing? 100Mb or Gb connections?
CAT 6 is preferred, Cat5e minimum for cables.
Make sure the PCs are not running any anti virus or firewalls temporarily to test.

The network is entirely wireless.  I could run an Ethernet cable to my xbox, but I would really prefer just to keep everything wireless. 

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Ok, well Just so you know, getting Wifi to go FAST or the same speed as Wired isn't going to happend. However If your xbox is N supporting at 2.4Ghz. Then I would try to set up the router for Single mode N at 2.4Ghz to test and see if it notice any different. How far is the xbox from the router? I would try Mixed G and N and test. I have a few buddies with xboxes on wireless and there set for single mode G and play on XBL. Streaming video probably wont work on G as it needs a faster connection. Like N 2.4 or Single N at 5Ghz. Thus having a wired connection for streaming videos is preferred. Kinda hard to do wifi sometimes specially if your having to support older non N supporting devices, thus having to run mixed modes with lowers the connection speed and range.