• March 28, 2024, 05:17:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Drivers won't work, poor signal, no internet after restart....Waste of money.  (Read 26408 times)

perfectsoldier23

• Level 1 Member

Bought the Xtreme N Desktop PCI Adapter about 2 months ago and had such trouble installing it that I actually gave up for the time being. Now I'm back and either want this s*** to work or I'll be sending it back and buying an actual working product from a serious company who wants to stay in business.
Before even popping the wireless adapter into my PCI slot, I booted up the disc that was included in my box. Followed the on screen instructions and installed the hardware when it prompted me to. Completed the installation with Windows saying "Did this software install correctly?" and I knew I was in for one hell of an uphill s*** ride.
Uninstalled the driver and went onto the Dlink website - found my product and reinstalled the "latest drivers" last night. All seemed to work but my wireless connection kept either cutting out or getting so horribly slow that I would disconnect from many of the things I was doing online. I chalked it up to being my crap service provider and filed a complaint with them.
I shut down my computer for the night and when I turned it back on this morning I had no internet connection whatsoever. When I try to click on the Wireless Connection Manager, nothing will open - also tried running it as administrator - Windows will prompt me that it wasn't functioning properly.

If anyone has a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Link>Welcome!
What make and model is the main host router that you connect the 552 too?

What region are you located?

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask.

Link>Wireless Installation Considerations
What wireless modes are you using on the main host router?
Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
Try setting a manual channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

perfectsoldier23

• Level 1 Member

Thank you for the welcome. Unfortunately, I wish I was on better terms. I really appreciate you responding so quickly and value your feedback as I have seen that you are a very active member of these forums. I hope we can solve my issue today. Unfortunately, I don't have a great knowledge of routers nor my ISP so if there is any information I am unable to collect, I apologize.

We are using an AT&T NVG 510

Sunny Southern California [San Diego]

DSL

As far as I know....we are not using a modem? We used to have a modem and router and now we have the single router which may also be serving as a modem. We have a single [generally speaking] "box" that is supplying internet. Nothing else associated / connected.

Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask.
The representitive that I am speaking with has absolutely no idea what I am talking about [and I don't really have a clue either]. So I am unsure as to how to get this information for you. She is transferring me to the manager so I may be able to get some information here soon...

I'm not sure :[ Is there a way for me to check?

Try setting a manual channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
^^ I'm not sure what any of those are. :/

What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto.
I am using WPA2-Personal

To my immediate computer, I am using my ollldddd Netgear Wireless-N USB Adapter [WN111] in order to establish internet to be posting here. There is one other computer in the other room that is using a wireless keyboard and mouse.

No house phones.

2 total - mine and then 1 other.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.

perfectsoldier23

• Level 1 Member

Also, I am only using Windows Defender. Which I am turning off for the sake of getting this working...hopefully.
Also found out that I am on channel 11.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Thank you for the welcome. Unfortunately, I wish I was on better terms. I really appreciate you responding so quickly and value your feedback as I have seen that you are a very active member of these forums. I hope we can solve my issue today. Unfortunately, I don't have a great knowledge of routers nor my ISP so if there is any information I am unable to collect, I apologize.

We are using an AT&T NVG 510
Is this your modem router combination? http://www.ron-berman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/nvg510manual.pdf

Sunny Southern California [San Diego]

DSL

As far as I know....we are not using a modem? We used to have a modem and router and now we have the single router which may also be serving as a modem. We have a single [generally speaking] "box" that is supplying internet. Nothing else associated / connected.

The representitive that I am speaking with has absolutely no idea what I am talking about [and I don't really have a clue either]. So I am unsure as to how to get this information for you. She is transferring me to the manager so I may be able to get some information here soon...

I'm not sure :[ Is there a way for me to check?
If you can access the ISP modem at 192.168.1.254:
http://www.ron-berman.com/2011/11/24/motorola-nvg510-help-page-for-att-u-verse-users/
Shows an example of what to look for.

^^ I'm not sure what any of those are. :/
Not sure if this ISP modem/router combo has this option of setting channels or not.

I am using WPA2-Personal

To my immediate computer, I am using my ollldddd Netgear Wireless-N USB Adapter [WN111] in order to establish internet to be posting here. There is one other computer in the other room that is using a wireless keyboard and mouse.

No house phones.

2 total - mine and then 1 other.

This ISP Modem/Router being your main host WiFi and access point. I don't personally hold these devices to be fully capable of supplying the 552 good quality signal and could be the problem and not the 552. You need to see if you can test this 552 using a different host WiFi router if possible. Do you have any friends, family or neighbors you could see if you could take this adapter to and test? Or maybe a mom and pop computer shop that might do a quick test? Maybe Geek Squad could test.

Another test would be to turn OFF the WiFi on the ISP modem and get you one of these and connect it to the ISP modem and test it with the 552:
D-Link DAP 1360, 1513, 1522, 1525, 1533

Testing out of these would offer you a better signal and probably get better operation with the 552.

Kind of at a hard place at this point. There are some testing that would help you check to see if the 552 is actually good or bad by testing at a different location using a different wireless AP device. This would let you know either way. I would presume that if it worked well at a different location, the problem would be the wireless on the ISP modem/router is not working well with the 552. I personally rather use wireless devices that are well designed specifically for this purpose. ISP modems and router should work well however experience has showed me that in some cases are sub standard and only offer basic features and operation.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

perfectsoldier23

• Level 1 Member

Thank you so so much for the response.
Unfortunately, I'd rather just buy another wireless adapter and save 1/2 the cost versus buying a new modem - especially not another Dlink product.

And yes, the link you provided for the modem/router is accurate. That is what I am using.

I suppose I will have to re-sell this wireless adapter and get another. I'm just confused as to how to avoid this problem in the future with another product. When I went into the retailer, he asked what router and modem I had and I don't believe I answered him correctly. Perhaps now that I know my devices specifically, I can get the adapter that I need.

Thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it. :]

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

I'll respond when I get back from a meeting.  ;)

OK, back.

So, that would be another test. Get you into a newer adapter, can be another Mfr or you could try Dlink as well. I fell that until you can establish that the 522 or the ISP modem could be at fault, point the main fault to the 522 at this point would be presuming a false positive. You need to establish weather or not the 522 works on a different WiFi signal to see if the problem follows or not. Dlink does have good products they offer. As other mfrs, however please be aware that those products can be adversely effected by external conditions, interferneces and if the main source of the originating signal isn't good, will impact how these devices actually work. We had a saying when I was in the military years ago, Garage In, Garbage Out. Your adapter is only going to be as good as what it gets from the ISP modem.

Most common thinking of any user of hard ware is to look at the most common item first, being that of the router or adapter. Mostly people point the problem at the router. Working with routers and WiFi over the years, I've learn the with troubleshooting, problems can be cause up stream, ISP services, ISP HW and external interferences with WiFi. We have to attempt to narrow down by troubleshooting where the problem actually comes from before placing the actual final cause besides pointing fault always at routers and adapters.

I'd be open to help you out as well as a 2ndary tester for your adapter if needed. I've helped others test there HW they sent me as a 2nd opinion in some cases and had great results.

I'm here to help everyone gain a better understanding and experience with there products and just hoping that maybe we can help you out as well.

I would recommend in short term, test another adapter out, USB or PCI and see how it handles. Also be aware of what your ISP modem WiFi offers in speed. I presume the Maximum connection speed is around 54Mb? Maybe a bit faster? I'll have to check to see what that modem supports.

Long term suggestion, If you needing faster speed, say for watching videos, gaming or doing large downloads, I would recommend getting into one of those DAP models I mentioned then connecting one of these to your PC:
DWA-160, DWA-162 and DWA-182

You'll have a fast connection between your PC and the DAP and performance will be great for just about anything.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:42:31 PM by FurryNutz »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Looking at the PDF for that modem, looks like 300Mb is supported on WiFi:
"Mode – The pull-down menu allows you to select and lock the Gateway into the wireless transmission mode
you want: B/G/N, B-only, B/G, G-only, or N-only.
For compatibility with clients using 802.11b (up to 11 Mbps transmission), 802.11g (up to 20+ Mbps), 802.11a
(up to 54 Mbit/s using the 5 GHz band), or 802.11n (from 54 Mbit/s to 600 Mbit/s with the use of four spatial
streams at a channel width of 40 MHz), select B/G/N. To limit your wireless LAN to one mode or the other,
select G-only, N-only, or B-only, or some combination that applies to your setup."

You might want change the modem from Mixed All Modes to Single mode G then test Single mode N using WPA 2 and AES only. See if that helps anything. I would change channels to 11 as well.

It's too bad the modem doesn't support Mixed G + N.  ::) B mode isn't used much any more.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:10:21 AM by FurryNutz »