• March 28, 2024, 09:15:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DAP-1360 as repeater of a DWL-2740B: client authentication fails  (Read 9743 times)

xpen

• Level 1 Member

Hi all,

new to this forum, cheers from Italy :)

I'm having big troubles in extendind the WiFi of a DWL-2740B thru a 1360.

I was able to make the two work together, the DAP is indeed repeating the root AP SSID, but clients cannot access the network thru it, authentication always fails.

This is what I find in the logs of the DAP:

wlan0-vxd: A wireless client is associated - XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
May 16 20:08:07    wlan0-vxd: WPA2-AES PSK authentication in progress...
May 16 20:08:07    wlan0-vxd: A wireless client is associated - XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
May 16 20:08:07    wlan0-vxd: Authentication failled! (4-2: MIC error)
May 16 20:08:07    wlan0-vxd: A STA is rejected by 802.1x daemon - XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

No clues as to what the 4.2: MIC error means... googled it, to no avail.

A few details:

DWL-2740B F1, fw 2.07AU, static IP 1, N/G bands, WPA+WPA2, MAC filtering (allow), DHCP.

DAP-1360, fw 3.02, static IP 2, set as REPEATER of the SSID above, N/G bands, WPA+WPA2, same passphrase.

The 2740B shows the DAP as connected - heck, it even gives it an unwanted DHCP lease - the DAP actually repeats the root AP's SSID around (sniffed from Android: same SSID, same security, etc), BUT when clients try to connect to the DAP they show "authorization problems".

I've been getting crazy on this one all day long... tried to change authentication, security, channels, bands, you name it.

any clues for me? please... :)

Thanks in advance!

xpen

• Level 1 Member
Re: DAP-1360 as repeater of a DWL-2740B: client authentication fails
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:50:02 AM »

OK, I've eventually understood where the problem lies: cryptography.

If you configure root AP + repeater with no crypto or WEP, the clients can authenticate on the repeater; anything beyond that (WPA/WPA2) and it's game over.

I've even tried to reduce the WPA/WPA2 key length down to 10 chars, TKIP or AES, but to no avail.

It's probably a problem with the DSL-2740B, for another DWL-2100AP I had in a drawer seems to exhibit the very same behavior when used as a repeater of the 2740B..

The only good news (?) is that MAC filtering does work on the 1360 when used as a repeater, independently from the one on the root AP. Verified that.

So if anything I can use WEP128 + MAC filtering... nothing to write home about, I know, but still better than nothing.

Hope this helps some other poor souls around here :)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:25:18 AM »

Thank you for sharing your information.

I would recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office in regards to this and let them know what you have found and see if there is any additional information regarding this they can offer.

Let us know what they say.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

DennisOlof1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:10:14 PM »

xpen, it does say in the manual for DWL-2100AP that there are some limitations for some user modes, this is related to encryption. The problem should be the DWL-2740B as I have tried repeater mode on the DAP-1360 with WPA2-PSK encryption and it worked ok.

I was however using two dap-1360, one as a AP, and the other one as a repeater. Easy to set up and worked well. But the manual states, and this if for most dlink products. Problem free operation is not guaranteed if you use different dlink products, with different firmwares.

At least you got it working, even though it is only WEP encryption. Depending on where you are at, using no encryption on in the country side is not a problem, in the city with lots of APs around, users and so on, encryption is needed.

Nice, you managed to get it working. 

xpen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 04:30:52 PM »

Presence of DLink in my country is limited to say the least... If we're lucky we just got a commercial office over here, and that's it.

But frankly I'm a bit pissed off with them: as soon as I've run into that problem first thing I did was to drop an email to their support (I think it was the US one, don't remember), but never heard back from them...

So the hell with them, next time I'm probably going to buy some other brands. Growing older, I'm becoming less and less tolerant about poor customer support :)

thank you

Thank you for sharing your information.

I would recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office in regards to this and let them know what you have found and see if there is any additional information regarding this they can offer.

Let us know what they say.

xpen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 04:43:19 PM »

Hi,

yes the 2100AP is a very oldish device by today's standards, it was sitting in a drawer until today, but I know quite well its quirks so for me it's still good for quick testing.

I find the DAP superior in many ways, yet less 'fine-tuneable' than the 2100. Or if you wish, more (end-)user-friendly :)

Italy is quite packed full of people, even country side as I happen to be, but given the circumstances WEP128 + MAC filtering will do for the time being..

Frankly I'm not in a mood to nuke the 2740 for installing another firmware version - even though it'd be needed: the one onboard is an AUstralian version, which can't keep the logs going, just one page; then you can't choose specific channels lower than 6 (that is, you can but then the 2740 just goes to channel 6); and so forth, so many bugs plaguing it... and please consider it was the best firmware version available, back then :D

but OK for now I've solved my immediate problem, one way or another, then will try and fix it in a more elegant way - if possible at all, that is.

thanks!

xpen, it does say in the manual for DWL-2100AP that there are some limitations for some user modes, this is related to encryption. The problem should be the DWL-2740B as I have tried repeater mode on the DAP-1360 with WPA2-PSK encryption and it worked ok.

I was however using two dap-1360, one as a AP, and the other one as a repeater. Easy to set up and worked well. But the manual states, and this if for most dlink products. Problem free operation is not guaranteed if you use different dlink products, with different firmwares.

At least you got it working, even though it is only WEP encryption. Depending on where you are at, using no encryption on in the country side is not a problem, in the city with lots of APs around, users and so on, encryption is needed.

Nice, you managed to get it working.