• April 24, 2024, 03:02:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Firmware 1.04  (Read 14635 times)

jgj10

• Level 2 Member
Firmware 1.04
« on: November 27, 2007, 05:40:00 AM »

Does anyone know when 1.04 will be released?  I've heard rumors that it imminent -- it's been a while since the last update.

Also what functionality does it fix and/or add?  ???

G

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Firmware 1.04
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 03:36:01 PM »

Seems 1.04 was released for the German users today - so if you're in Germany ....
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

jgj10

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 05:23:25 PM »

Danke!

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 05:23:34 PM »

Seems 1.04 was released for the German users today - so if you're in Germany ....

Please keep it D-Link US related.

1.04 is still going through OFFICIAL testing and approval. When it is finished a change log as well as updated manual/documentation will be provided on the D-Link US Support site.

D-Link

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 09:22:05 AM »

1.04 is still going through OFFICIAL testing and approval. When it is finished a change log as well as updated manual/documentation will be provided on the D-Link US Support site.

D-Link

Looking forward to it.  Please tell me that I won't have to reformat my drives when I upgrade from 1.03 :D

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 09:47:06 AM »

The only time that a firmware has affected the device and required a format was when we removed EXT3 fs from the unit. This only affected units using EXT3 and all firmwares since have been straight upgrades. 1.03 -> 1.04 will be the same upgrade process.

D-Link

DN

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 05:31:46 AM »

I want to use the "Download Schedules" to backup everything from Volume_1 to Volume_2 once every night.

Two questions:
  Is the incremental option working in 1.04? (was in 1.02 but not 1.03)
  Is there a "mirror" option in 1.04? If not: Please put it on the wish list for future releases.

Best Regards, DN

jgj10

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 06:41:22 AM »

I want to use the "Download Schedules" to backup everything from Volume_1 to Volume_2 once every night.

Two questions:
  Is there a "mirror" option in 1.04? If not: Please put it on the wish list for future releases.

Best Regards, DN

Out of the box (1.02 and 1.03)the DNS supports RAID 1 (drives mirrored). Given that you have two volumes you must have put the drives in at separate times  which automatically sets the configuration as "two separate disks"(vol1/2) or you selected that at install.

The solution: BACK UP YOUR DATA FIRST as this will erase everything.  Login go to tools/RAID and select RAID 1.  This will REFORMAT your disk and disk 1 will mirror disk 2.

G

DN

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 01:47:51 AM »

I started off using Raid 1 but changed to using two separate drives for a few reasons:
-  There were/are? several problem issues using raid in this device.
-  Incremental backup of everything from vol 1 to vol 2 also help recovering files that are deleted by mistake, which happens in my family.
-  Using one drive (except during backup) uses less power and thus fan noise.

So, for my purposes this home brew backup suits best.

I do regularly mirror the drives, so that I don’t have to many extra files when rebooting on Vol 2, in case vol 1 would crash.. I use scheduled robocopy on a client PC for both the incremental copy and the mirroring but would rather have the device handling this by itself.

Thanks for your input, DN

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 04:35:45 AM »

Two questions:

Best Regards, DN

I'd like to see the same thing ... without having to use RAID :)

gugaucb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 04:26:26 PM »

Where Can I download Firmware 1.04?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 04:56:06 PM »

Where Can I download Firmware 1.04?

1.04 has not been released officially yet. When it is released it will be on the D-Link Support Site.

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 07:00:08 PM »

I presently use the Incremental Backup instead of the RAID, for the same reason describe by "jgj10".

My old nas (i sold it) having a "real" incremental Backup, that copy file from Drive1 to Drive2, but also create a folder named "backup_xxxxxx" (xxx = the day of the backup). On this folder, only the changed files.
So on the backup destination, i see one folder (full backup) and multiple folder (incremental backup).
Also, reside a TXT file named the same way as the folder, and included all file copied, with result (success / failure). That can help confirm that the Scheduler works !

With the DLINK, i'm unable to confirm that The incremental backup realy works because :
- unable to have a TXT file result.
- unable to confirm if the DLINK copy everything, and not only the changed file (the led are blinking for 1 hours, and only 10-20 file are modify each day).
- unable to know at what % of the task the copy are (full or incremental, the % status on the scheduler show nothing, but if i check the property of both drive, i notice size increase).

having something that "at least" confirm me that the copy works ok will be very usefull. And it's not something tuff to implement... the TXT file is probably the easier way ... by simply add the name of each file after each copy (include origin and destination + status Success of error), timestamp. This TXT file can confirm you that the Scheduler works, and also help the user if he have connexion error to a FTP site, or other.

Hope this will be fixed in 1.04 .... or 1.05.

It's not a funny requested from a used, it's a logical request that was logical to see with a scheduler. Like the opensource software "Cobian", pay version "SecondCopy" of some other US NAS product that already support these function.

I did'nt find anything that can confirm me that the copy as been done successful, and which file as been copied. Having a list are a good feature. Actually, i only see the "?" icon on the Scheduler status tab.

Q? : actually, i map 4 drive to the NAS. I MAP directly to some folder (U for User, M for my document,... and T for Temporary). After, i create fiew schedule to copy all folder i want, except the Temporary (in the ROOT of the Drive, i see 5 Folder). Did i done something wrong ? The copy seem to have working (the file size of the Folder from source and destination are the same), but i have no writen status that told me which file as been copy.

davidmccormack

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 02:54:51 AM »

I ended up in this forum via dlink.ie and the same would have happened if I came in through dlink.co.uk (and probably other English-speaking countries too but I haven't checked). So this forum is not strictly for D-Link US issues.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 08:32:41 AM »

I have not visited the dlink.ie page until today, but I did not see a link to the forums.  Could you please direct me to the page (via PM) with the link so I can report as much.  This forum is for US use only, however it's not strictly enforced as you can see.
non progredi est regredi
Pages: [1] 2