• April 25, 2024, 01:39:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DNS-323 wont connect with network through a switch  (Read 11336 times)

bdevoe3

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 wont connect with network through a switch
« on: March 01, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »

I have DNS-323 that when I try connecting through a switch (TP-Link TL-SG1005D or a TRENDNET TEG-S8g) it will not connect to the network.  The blue network light just occasionally blinks but that is it.  I have tried different cables that I know work.  I have verified the DNS-323 is working by connecting it directly to the router.  And the switch works fine as I can connect my PC and printer through it and it works just fine.  I cant leave the DNS-323 connect to the router as a permanent solution.  I am at a loss and have no other ideas.  There must be some setting in the DNS that I am missing.  Appreciate any help.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:52:00 PM by bdevoe3 »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: DNS-323 wont connect with network through a switch
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 04:36:28 AM »

I can only give information on the TP-Link because we have used several of the TL-SG1008D with our clients.

In all cases we have not found any problems with connecting a DNS-323 to the network through that switch.

First make sure that the network cable is securely plugged into the switch.  A new unit tends to have tight sockets so care is needed to ensure good contact.

With the cable plugged in what is the state of the Link/Act LED (the port LED on the front)?

Have you set the DNS-323 network speed to Auto?

Are there any other changes on the network - new router that may have changed the network IP addressing for example?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 06:38:42 AM »

Partly out of curiosity, and also as a serious question - why can't you leave the NAS connected to a router - I'm pretty certain there are a few thousand (if not hundred thousand) NAS units out there connected to routers.

Depending on the NAS & the router - it's a useable configuration with no significant compromises.

To address your problem - start by ensuring the network interface on the NAS is set to auto configure the speed and has the default frame size, and also that you have the ip addressing taken care of - personally I prefer to use a static address on shared resources.

Ensure that the link lights are on at both ends - if not you may have either cable or connection issues.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

bdevoe3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 08:32:50 AM »

Thanks for the responses....

I have gone through each of the connections to make sure they are good...have even tried several different cables with no difference.

IVAN:
Yes the DNS is set to auto and Jumbo Frame are disabled.  I checked the IP adressing and made sure everything was set the same.  When I plug the cable into the DNS the blue led just flashes intermittently and I get no light on the switch.

FORDEM:
The reason cant leave the DNS connected to the router is location of where the DNS is.  Its close enough to the router that I can run a long CAT cable to it, but I cant leave the cable lying across the floor.

The NAS is set to auto and I have Jumbo Frames disabled.  I have tried with both DHCP and Static IP addresses and makes no difference.  I am using the default static IP address.  Neither link lights are working...but like I said tried multiple cables, even the one that I use to connect directly to the router.

bdevoe3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »

And I have firmware 1.10 loaded on the DNS.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:42:04 AM »

FORDEM:
The reason cant leave the DNS connected to the router is location of where the DNS is.  Its close enough to the router that I can run a long CAT cable to it, but I cant leave the cable lying across the floor.

Any particular reason you couldn't move the NAS?

Neither link lights are working

Let's clarify this - you get no link lights at all?  What about when you connect the NAS to the router, do the link lights work then?

You haven't told us what router you have and a quick Google search shows that the switches are basic unmanaged gigabit switches - there is a possibility if the router has 10/100 ports and the switches are gigabit, that the cables that worked on 10/100 won't work on gigabit - in fact - the most common problem when moving from 10/100 to gigabit is the cables.

So - are you in fact moving from 10/100 to gigabit, and if you are, where did you get the cables?

Yes, I understand you have tried multiple cables, but the lack of link lights is pointing to a connection issue, either cables or speed/duplex negotiation.

bdevoe3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 03:00:19 PM »

As a last resort I could move the NAS to the router, but I would rather not.  Plus I dont see why it shouldn't work through the switch.

Yes, when I connect the NAS directly to the router all of the lights work.

The router is an Arris TG862G.  I am using CAT6 cables from the switch to the NAS and I believe CAT5e from the switch back to the router.  For full disclosure the path back to the router goes through a TrendNet TEG-S8g switch.  I have tried connecting directly from the Trendnet switch no better results.  I have also connected the TP-Link switch directly to the router and then the NAS with no results.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 05:02:42 PM »

OK - everything you have is gigabit - to do what I'm about to suggest may cause a temporary loss of connectivity, you should be able to regain connectivity by reconnecting to the router, worst case scenario, you'll need to do a reset to defaults using the pin switch on the rear.

Try manually configuring the NAS on all the network options - start with gigabit, full duplex, then half duplex, if you can't maintain a connection at gigabit, try 100mbit, again, both half & full, and eventually drop to 10 mbit.

By the way - what I asked was where did you get the cables - not what sort of cables - the reason is this.  A CAT5 cable will only meet CAT5 spec if properly terminated, likewise a CAT6 cable will only meet CAT6 spec if properly terminated - there are very specific techniques required to meet those specs if you're terminating the cables yourself.

bdevoe3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 09:20:43 PM »

Tried at 1000 and 100...no option for 10....none of those worked.

And the cables are all purchased... the CAT 6 cables recently from Amazon.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 03:25:51 AM »

I guess you either change the switch or move the NAS - if it's any help, I used a Netgear GS108T with mine.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 03:48:28 AM »

OK, let us get down to basics.

Have you tried all the ports on the switch?

Does the link light on the switch light when you connect it to the router?  If yes try each port, this will determine if the switch is functioning.

Does the link light light when you plug a computer into the switch?

What is your basic network setup?  For example:

Router --> Switch --> NAS
                             ¦--> Computer
                             ¦--> Computer

bdevoe3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »

Yes, I have verified the ports on the switch work and have moved the NAS to different ports with no luck.  I have connected my PC through the switch and it works.
The link light on the switch does not come on when I plug the NAS in.  And yes when I plug the computer or printer into any port on the switch the light comes on.

Basic setup

Router ---> Desktop PC
         ---> Trendnet Switch
                |---> TP-Link Switch
                        |---> NAS DNS-323
                        |---> Cannon Printer

The router connects to the wired network in the house and the Trendnet Switch is at the patch panel which I use to connect the other ports throughout the house.

I have tried connecting the NAS directly through the Trendnet switch with no luck.  I know in the past I had it connected to the switch and it worked.

I am going to switch the Trendnet and TP-Link switches tonight and see what happens.

This is very frustrating as I cant see any reason why this doesnt function properly.

Thanks again for all of your help!

bdevoe3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 08:22:58 PM »

OK...I took both of the switches out of the loop and just connected the NAS to the network line where the switch was and it will connect to the router.  Now here is where it gets interesting...the NAS network light is blue and I can access all the files on the NAS with no problem.  However when I look at the router DHCP table is doesnt show up and when I try and access the NAS configuration tool I can get to the login page but after that I am getting a "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.0.32"  even though I can still see the NAS connected and access the files.  When I Ping the NAS I also get a response.  Now I am really confused.  ???

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 03:52:17 AM »

Why should the NAS show in the router's DHCP table if you're using a static address?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 05:49:02 AM »

Two things;

What does NETSCAN show as the IP address of the NAS?

Have you tried a different browser to access the NAS web interface?  There have been problems reported with Chrome not being able to do that.

In your diagram, if you can access the printer there should be no reason why you can't access the NAS.  Again if you can access the printer, unplug the network cable of the printer at the printer and plug that into the NAS - what is the result?
Pages: [1] 2