• April 23, 2024, 11:54:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: firmware upgrade from 1.06 to 1.08  (Read 11923 times)

alios

• Level 1 Member
firmware upgrade from 1.06 to 1.08
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:09:21 AM »

hello out there.

i have the dns 323 for a year now, and it has worked flawless, no problems
and i have 2 Pc`s and one Mac, flawless everytime.. file sharing, bittorrent downloading, itunes server.. etc..

but now i think i have to upgrade to the new 1.08...

is it worthy ?? my device works fine, i have no problems, but it itches me to update it :D

i have the 1.06 firmware and i-m using JBOD with my 2 drives (1TB each)

is the 1.08 gonna want to format my drives ? i can-t afford to loose 900GB of data, and to make a backup now it-s really impossible...

and another point.. why is the 1.08 firmware available only if i select North America ???

if i select my home country Romania only the 1.07 firmware is available on www.d-link.ro

many thanks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:11:09 AM by alios »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: firmware upgrade from 1.06 to 1.08
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 05:25:39 AM »

I hope you'll take the time to read this - and give it serious consideration ...

With a JBOD disk configuration, you get a single large "logical" volume, one disk with all your space - and as you write data to it, it stores it on the first physical disk, and then, when that's full, it'll use the second - very convenient, until a drive fails, or some other glitch occurs.

What you need to know is what happens when a drive fails - let's assume, for the purpose of this discussion, that you haven't filled the first physical disk yet, so ALL of your precious 900GB of data is stored there, and NONE on the second - if the second drive fails, you WILL LOSE ACCESS TO YOUR DATA, even though it's not on the failed drive.

Understand this very clearly - your data is at risk, just sitting there - whether or not you upgrade the firmware.  If you value it, back it up NOW - you think it's impossible, consider what you'll do without it - it is YOUR data.

To answer your question - no - 1.08 should not request a re-format.  It didn't when I upgraded.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

alios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:34:52 AM »

thanks for your reply.

i know what JBOD is :P i didn-t want mirror or stripe because in my experience it is more faulty then a simple JBOD array.

about failing disks, the only safe choice is raid1 mirror, but i want to use 2tb of space, not 1tb
and raid0 stripe has the same risks as jbod.

i think i-m gonna chill down, and let my dlink with 1.06 firmware until dlink says it-s safe to update, with no data loss

good day

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:33:14 AM »

Let me put it this way - it's your data - and only you can decide if the convenience of a single 2TB volume is worth the added risk of a JBOD or RAID0 configuration - it appears I value my data more than you.

Question for you - how do you define "faulty" as in - "i didn-t want mirror or stripe because in my experience it is more faulty then a simple JBOD array".?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »

The difference with RAID-0 is at least you have potential performance increases for the added risk of losing the data.  JBOD offers no performance increase and the same risk of drive failure.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:46:31 AM »

What worries me is the following statement...

i can-t afford to loose 900GB of data, and to make a backup now it-s really impossible...

A backup is not impossible, it may take considerable resources (time and money) to
put together a backup solution, but a backup is possible.  What you need to determine is...
will the cost to make backup be greater than the cost to loose the data?

Even though you can't afford to loose 900GB of data, without a backup, there are
many many ways for your data to become inaccessible. :(

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »

One only has to look at my signature to see how I think of backups.  ::)

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »

is it worthy ?? my device works fine, i have no problems, but it itches me to update it
If you have no issues with 1.06 and you do not need any of the new functions, don't update. Spend your time getting a backup solution instead.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 03:01:52 PM »

If you have no issues with 1.06 and you do not need any of the new functions, don't update. Spend your time getting a backup solution instead.
Excellent suggestion! :)

alios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 10:01:40 PM »

well let me put it this way...

if i already got a storage solution, i have to buy another storage solution just for backup ?

come on!

i know the risks of disk failure, but it-s one thing when a drive fails and another thing when you update firmware and loose data... i mean the frustration is higher :D

my data stored on the dns 323 is not "eyes only" and to buy ANOTHER storage solution for backup is kinda silly..

what if the dns 323 fails, and then the backup solution fails ? :D
the backup of the backup fails... and then you-ll need to buy another backup solution.

so i can store data from my PC to the dns 323, and then to another backup drive, and then another backup solution... and then who knows, maybe ANOTHER backup drive :D

sorry about the irony, i value all your replys  ;)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 05:03:56 AM »

well let me put it this way...

if i already got a storage solution, i have to buy another storage solution just for backup ?

come on!

It's your data, and you don't have to back it up if you don't want to - just notice that every person who has responded has pointed out that they consider that approach unwise.

i know the risks of disk failure, but it-s one thing when a drive fails and another thing when you update firmware and loose data... i mean the frustration is higher :D

The risk of the firmware upgrade causing a loss of data is not that high, BUT, it is there.

There is also a risk of data loss if you do nothing, and, at least in my opinion, and you can see this opinion shared by others, judging from their responses, that your choice to use JBOD increases that risk two fold with no gain whatsoever to justify the increased risk.

my data stored on the dns 323 is not "eyes only" and to buy ANOTHER storage solution for backup is kinda silly..

what if the dns 323 fails, and then the backup solution fails ? :D
the backup of the backup fails... and then you-ll need to buy another backup solution.

so i can store data from my PC to the dns 323, and then to another backup drive, and then another backup solution... and then who knows, maybe ANOTHER backup drive :D

sorry about the irony, i value all your replys  ;)
Eyes only or not - you're the one who say you can't afford to lose it - and don't want to back it up - and that is where the irony lies.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 05:12:27 AM »

Clearly, you were not a math major. ;)

alios

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 10:55:49 PM »

The risk of the firmware upgrade causing a loss of data is not that high, BUT, it is there.

There is also a risk of data loss if you do nothing, and, at least in my opinion, and you can see this opinion shared by others, judging from their responses, that your choice to use JBOD increases that risk two fold with no gain whatsoever to justify the increased risk.

really now, i really can-t belive that drives fail just like a floppy disk...
i have a PC since 1995.. when the CD was "woow so much data"

and never, i mean NEVER has a hdd fail on my pc, or an external drive.

so the risk of data loss in a firmware upgrade is much higher..

your opinions are based on the fear factor "what if..."
what if a car hits me on the sidewalk... thats a risk too...

anyway, all your opinions have helped: THE UPGRADE TO 1.08 is not worthy :D

cheers.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 05:00:43 AM »

really now, i really can-t belive that drives fail just like a floppy disk...
i have a PC since 1995.. when the CD was "woow so much data"

and never, i mean NEVER has a hdd fail on my pc, or an external drive.

so the risk of data loss in a firmware upgrade is much higher..

your opinions are based on the fear factor "what if..."
what if a car hits me on the sidewalk... thats a risk too...

anyway, all your opinions have helped: THE UPGRADE TO 1.08 is not worthy :D

cheers.

Some of us have been around longer - a lot longer - I was using computers before IBM "invented" the PC - and this is not "what if" this is "when" - thre's nothing wrong with the upgrade to 1.08, and upgrade or not, you're still at risk - let me leave this with you ...

There are two types of people in the world, those who have lost data, and those who will,

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 05:32:55 AM »

I've been around about computers since 1966.  I worked for IBM and installed the first IBM-360 in the Philadelphia area.  My first PC was a wirewrapped 8080 based machine running the very first version of CP/M.  I think I have a pretty good understanding of backup and the risks posed by no backup, I've seen it countless times. ;)
Pages: [1] 2