• April 23, 2024, 07:23:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: UPnP Control Point functionality  (Read 5053 times)

hewitt

• Level 1 Member
UPnP Control Point functionality
« on: March 10, 2008, 07:18:03 AM »

Hi,

We have tried to use multiple DSM-510s (f/w 1.07) and D-Link MediaServer v1.09 that has integrated UPnP Control Point media controller functionality. There are some issues that I cannot solve, any help would be appreciated even though I understand that this is an undocumented and unsupported feature of these media players.

1. Does the D-Link MediaServer 1.09 stream with multicast if more than one players (renderers) are detected? I can control the players independently, but if I choose to control several players simultaneously (ie. check "select" on multiple players) usually only one of the players starts to play. The other players shut down or do not start playback. Our network management shows IGMP traffic indication of multicast traffic that would (if not properly supported by network devices) cause issues in stream playback.

2. Is there any method to change the UPnP host name of the DSM unit from the default "D-Link Medialounge DSM-510" so that it would be easier to identify multiple units in the network. DSM-520 had this option, but DSM-510 does not.

3. Is D-Link going to continue release D-Link mediaserver software updates and support officially UPnP control point feature. I have tried also with third party (Cidero) open source UpnP controller, but it doesn't work with DSM-510. There are other minor issues with the integrated control point feature of the current server 1.09.

Any feedback from users with any control point experience would be great, any additional third party control point software I could try?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: UPnP Control Point functionality
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 12:22:45 PM »

1) Using the Control point option on D-link media server 1.09 software you can multicast a video to multiple units streaming the same video. Selecting each check box all units and double clicking on the video file. i did not have a problem with this I was even able to stream different videos to different units using the control point. I used 2 DSM-520's and a DSM-510 testing this just to verify your inquiry. Perhaps I will need to use 2 DSM-510 units to see if there is an issue with using two of these devices at the same time and control points I did not have a chance to verify this yet.

2) I am very sorry but there does not seem be an option to change the device name.

3) I do not know of any official plans of Control point support in the D-Link medias server software but it seems it is going to be a feature in upcoming media server software.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

C4MP3R

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 04:59:55 PM »

I wanted to address your device name issue and see if i could be of any help.  I hope i understand you need correctly. i renamed my DSM-510 device using my router's dns.  What i did was reserved an IP address (because i always wanted it to be the same) to the mac address and then gave it a different device name.  So now my DSM-510 appears on my network as "TX-MEDIA-CLT".

I hope i didn't misunderstand what you were asking for, but i just handled this through my router.

hewitt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 02:09:18 AM »

I used 2 DSM-520's and a DSM-510 testing this just to verify your inquiry. Perhaps I will need to use 2 DSM-510 units to see if there is an issue with using two of these devices at the same time and control points I did not have a chance to verify this yet.

Thank very much you for taking time to look into this. I also tried initially with 1xDSM-520 and 1xDSM-510 and there were no lock-out issues then, only when using 2xDSM-510.

Quote from: ECF
3) I do not know of any official plans of Control point support in the D-Link medias server software but it seems it is going to be a feature in upcoming media server software.

Do you mean that updates for D-Link Mediaserver are still developed, I believed that DSM-520 was meant to use only with ActiveTV server and DSM-510 with WMP and the D-Link MediaServer sw would be discontinued. Do you have info on eta for new version that will (hopefully) fix issues with the Control Point feature?

Quote from: C4MP3R
i renamed my DSM-510 device using my router's dns.  What i did was reserved an IP address (because i always wanted it to be the same) to the mac address and then gave it a different device name.  So now my DSM-510 appears on my network as "TX-MEDIA-CLT".

Thanks for this tip, unfortunately we cannot use that as the network we are trying to setup this is a business network where we have isolated a segment (by using VLAN tagging) and there are no DHCP server for these units that are configured with fixed IP.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:31:12 AM »

I was able to do this test with two DSM-510 units and did not experience any problems streaming to both units simultaneously using the control point. I checked the box for both units and when to Media files and double clicked a video. It then began the video on both units. I was using D-Link Media server 1.09.

There was a D-Link media server 1.10 released recently but I did not use this in my test. You may want to download it and try it out. I did not see any update to the control point feature in the release notes but it does seem to work fine for me.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream