• March 28, 2024, 05:55:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 64-bit Windows 7 blues  (Read 12545 times)

wyntha

• Level 1 Member
64-bit Windows 7 blues
« on: November 02, 2009, 04:15:45 AM »

I've just upgraded to 64-bit Windows 7 and have hit some problems connecting to my NAS-323(Firmware 1.06) which had been working perfectly under 32-bit Vista. Any help with the below gratefully received:

1. When I restart Windows my DNS-323 drives do not automatically reconnect. Easy Search finds them on network but it too cannot connect to them. I have to reboot the DNS-323, wait for 10 minutes or so and then use Easy Search to Connect again. Windows 7 doesn't reconnect at all.

2. I go into WMP and under Other Libraries it sees the DNS-323 UpNp fine together with folders. However it fails to connect to the content of the folders. Error message comes up without detailing nature of the error.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: 64-bit Windows 7 blues
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 05:18:31 AM »

I have Windows 7 64-bit, I don't see any issue mapping to a DNS-323 or a DNS-321.  FWIW, I've never used Easy Search, don't even know what it looks like.  The standard Windows networking works just fine with the DNS-323.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 08:28:28 AM »

I have Windows 7 64-bit, I don't see any issue mapping to a DNS-323 or a DNS-321.  FWIW, I've never used Easy Search, don't even know what it looks like.  The standard Windows networking works just fine with the DNS-323.

Same here with Win7/64 Ultimate. (DNS firmware 1.08)
I'm mapping the network drives via batch file with net use commands.
If I restart the DNS one click on the network drive is enough to reconnect it immediately.

soaring_penguin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 12:56:20 PM »

No problems on Win7Pro 64-bit either. Just used regular networking to map the drives. On boot sometimes it complains about drives not being connected but clicking on them (or shortcuts to them) connects just fine. I noticed that this is mostly the case when DNS-323 is in power save mode :).

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 01:13:52 PM »

I think for certain machines power save is an issue, don't know why.  I personally don't notice it on any machine here.

ccates98

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:11:18 PM »

Hi

I am having a similar issue on my Windows 7 Pro (32-bit) laptop.  I was just wondering if you have made any progress on this issue?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 05:52:16 AM »

If you haven't already done so, upgrade to the 1.08b8 available here in the beta sub-forum and reset to factory defaults and reconfigure.

twotterdhc6

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 08:17:11 AM »

Check that your current network is set to "Home Network" in the Network and Sharing Center.  I think Windows 7 defaults to Public Network whenever you join a new network.  That's what happened to me when I got a new router.

jesbo09

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 06:59:16 PM »

My experience with Win7-64 bit is that my Windows 7 login name and password must be identical to my DSN-323 username and password.  Then all shares on the DNS-323 are reconnected at Win-7 login.

I have tried everything possible in Win-7 I know of to set up a drive reconnect when the id and/or password on the DNS are different.  I always get a user/password prompt when attempting to access the shares for the first time. 

I'm on 1.06 firmware.  Haven't tried anything newer.

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 07:57:07 PM »

You may need to go to the support page and download the vista x64 driver. After that it works fine - I've 4 machines here running W7x64 and after this it works perfectly on all.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 05:55:01 AM »

My experience with Win7-64 bit is that my Windows 7 login name and password must be identical to my DSN-323 username and password.  Then all shares on the DNS-323 are reconnected at Win-7 login.

I have tried everything possible in Win-7 I know of to set up a drive reconnect when the id and/or password on the DNS are different.  I always get a user/password prompt when attempting to access the shares for the first time. 

I'm on 1.06 firmware.  Haven't tried anything newer.
I run with a different user name/password on my Win7 machines here than the account on the DNS-323.  I entered the password for the share once and checked the save box, it's connected with no prompts ever since.  This is also how it's supposed to work

This is Win7 Ultimate, perhaps the home versions are different.

jesbo09

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 12:31:06 PM »

gunrunner - I did exactly as you did but could not get Win-7 to reconnect.  I am running x64 Win7 Professional.  It should work the same as Ultimate when it comes to connecting network shares.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »

It certainly should.  If you run control userpasswords2, clock on the Advanced tab, and then select Manage Passwords, does your NAS appear in the list of Windows credentials?

jesbo09

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 12:51:16 PM »

Certainly does.  One twist, though.  My userid is the same on both Win7 and DNS323. Its the passwords that are different.  You mentuon both the userids AND passwords are different on both.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 12:55:11 PM »

Yep, my Windows name has a space, and Linux logins don't allow a space, so my ID is different.  That could be the fly in the ointment. :)
Pages: [1] 2