• March 28, 2024, 05:46:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Disabled DHCP still working  (Read 3348 times)

Markg0123

• Level 1 Member
Disabled DHCP still working
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:43:23 PM »

Since connecting a DNS-323 to my home network I began experiencing trouble with 2 wireless laptops not being able to connect to the internet via my Westell DSL router.  The router is my DHCP server and I have the DHCP server disabled on the DNS-323.  I noticed that the IP addresses being assigned  on the laptops were incorrect.  I checked the DNS-323 DHCP settings and noticed the IP addresses being assigned to the laptops fell with the range listed on the DNS-323.   I enabled the DHCP server option on the DNS-323 and set it to match my Westell router with a different range of addresses and then both Laptops had internet connectivity.  I then disabled the DHCP server option on the DNS-323 and the laptops are still being assigned in that range.  I have a wireless desktop was assigned via the router.

Any idea why the DNS-323 is still assigning IP addresses even though I have the option disabled. 

I guess for now everything is working OK but I'd prefer to have addresses assign strictly from the DSL router.

Is there something I am missing since I'm relatively new to NAS?

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: Disabled DHCP still working
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »

With the DHCP server in the DNS323 disabled, you can try issuing the following commands on the laptops:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

This should clear the IP address from the laptop and request a new one.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

Drjizzocyst

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »

wow
 that is strange
 so u have and at&t dsl setup westell wireless modem.router gateway thing>? do u have any device other that the dns 323 plugged in a port?

did u close the mac address into you westell?

r u using the dns as a dhcp server to a switch? feeding anything else

as far as dns=323 goes to me it look like u have to set the westell to give IP adress to more devices, if u have only 2 ip to lease out, then one of the other will not get the love.

i only allow 8 IP for my setup, for my laptops, mobiles, dsm-520, and desktops to everything else i have, with no lease time, they are all static and mac filtering locked, this way i dont' have to worry about security too much, no free wifi in my house
Proud DLINK owner:
DIR-855, DIR-635, (DGL-4300 RIP)
DNS-323 Still working even after 5 overseas flights
DSM-520, DSM-320rd

Game On
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
ASRock 890GX Extreme3 AM3
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB
EVGA GeForce GTX 460

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »

wow
 that is strange
 so u have and at&t dsl setup westell wireless modem.router gateway thing>? do u have any device other that the dns 323 plugged in a port?

did u close the mac address into you westell?

r u using the dns as a dhcp server to a switch? feeding anything else

as far as dns=323 goes to me it look like u have to set the westell to give IP adress to more devices, if u have only 2 ip to lease out, then one of the other will not get the love.

i only allow 8 IP for my setup, for my laptops, mobiles, dsm-520, and desktops to everything else i have, with no lease time, they are all static and mac filtering locked, this way i dont' have to worry about security too much, no free wifi in my house

Not only irrelevant to the original poster's issue, but also insecure - if I were your next door neighbor I could get on your wireless in less time than it takes you to read this.  MAC filtering provides so little security, it's not worth mentioning and the same goes for limiting the number of addresses in your DHCP lease pool.

You don't mention encryption - if you don't have any - you're not as secure as you think.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.