• March 28, 2024, 07:46:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Remove Securespot  (Read 38547 times)

MĘST

• Level 1 Member
Re: Remove Securespot
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 08:10:57 PM »

This is really a piece of junk.  A couple of times now I've been in the midst of filling out a long important form and it would decide to pop up again and prevent my access to the internet.

I even went back through an old email that said:

Your SECURESPOT® 2.0 trial subscription expired 30 days ago!

We have continued to protect you, but we have extended this service as long as possible without a purchase. Don't make the mistake of missing this final opportunity to keep your family members and digital network protected.

https://securespot.bsecure.com/ShoppingCartCtrl/default.aspx?cmd=cart

Thank you,
The SECURESPOT Team

If you are no longer using SECURESPOT services, please contact us at 866-837-8908 (1-850-275-1015).

...but when I called the first number I got through to Time Warner internet for some reason.  Suffice it to say I sounded like an idiot when I started to complain about securespot and they had no idea what I was talking about.

echo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »

(*this code may vary for your dlink router but can be found in the dlink manual which should be on your installation disc)
Enter this into weblink, login using your router password...access dlink settings choose securespot from left column and simply deselect "Enable securespot"
This will stop the slow annoying advertisement which gives you the option to buy securespot
hope that helps
-wenks

how exactly do you access the dlink settings? i have to change to the tx rate and turn off securespot but no matter what site i go to for info people just say "access settings" without explaining how to do that.

Angivare

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 10:45:05 PM »

Good luck on that. Aside from randomly deciding to redirect everyone to a "service has expired" page on the SecureSpot website even though it was disabled, it likes to forget all my port forwarding or virtual server settings.

In between extreme periods of delay not hearing back from I started to make quite a ruckus.  Finally got an RMA.  They sent me an even older rev unit that literally has 1/2 the wireless range as a replacement and and randomly locks up for several seconds at a time when my daughter's computer is physically connected.  If I unplug her, everyone's Internet connection starts working again.  Thought it was her computer, but when I put my original rev back in, there is no problem.

I'm fed up with D-Link... They don't want to provide a proper replacement unit, I held on to the original rev because the replacement was a bigger piece of garbage.  Now they graciously charged me over $100 for the replacement refurbished ancient POC and won't resolve my issue unless I can track down the original purchase receipt.

Isn't there ANYONE forming a class action against these schmucks?

JimboCol

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 05:35:43 PM »

how exactly do you access the dlink settings? i have to change to the tx rate and turn off securespot but no matter what site i go to for info people just say "access settings" without explaining how to do that.

They're talking about accessing your router, it should be 192.168.0.1
enter that ip address into your browser's address bar, and then press enter.  you should then get a logon  screen for your router.  The default Logon name is Admin and there is no password.

Hope this helps.
Jim.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:34:08 AM by JimboCol »

JimboCol

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 05:49:16 PM »

Back when I first got my Dir-628 (A2), I was updating the firmwares.  I updated to 1.13 version, SecureSpot never appeared.  I then reverted to the firmware 1.12, SecureSpot came onto my unit.  So, if you installed firmware 1.12, you get SecureSpot.  SecureSpot only gets installed on version 1.12.

I don't think so.  I just today, downloaded 1.13, and 1.11, and downgraded mine from 1.12 to 1.11, and it was gone.  I upgraded to 1.13, and that virus was back, so I downgraded back to 1.11, and it's gone again.  I'm staying at 1.11 for peace of mind.  I only use it for home, and don't have any really taxing work for it, and it seems to work fine.  I have my Blu-Ray player,. Wii Console, five laptops, two Laser printers, one Thermal Label priter, and four desktops using it.  I am using an extra 8 port switch for the systems that are not wireless. The Wii, Blu-Ray player, all laptops, and one desktop are wireless, all other equipment is wired.

Jim.

Digital69

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 02:12:16 AM »

I logged into the secure spot management pages and deleted my account.  If I don't have an account with them then hopefully I won't get any more messages telling me I need to pay...

I'm curious if any of you have also tried this method as well as disabling it from the router?

The login page is at http://securespot.bsecure.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx

The hard part was knowing what email/password I used as it was established when I upgraded my router firmware.

G

I did that 9 months ago and guess what?

4 months ago it hijacked half of my computers and again tonight...

JimboCol

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 01:20:20 PM »

I logged into the secure spot management pages and deleted my account.  If I don't have an account with them then hopefully I won't get any more messages telling me I need to pay...

I'm curious if any of you have also tried this method as well as disabling it from the router?

The login page is at http://securespot.bsecure.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx

The hard part was knowing what email/password I used as it was established when I upgraded my router firmware.

G

I bought mine second hand, and had to send an email to the address that was redgistered for the securespot account.  Fortunately, the person responded, and attempted to disable the account, but when he logged on, he was told the account was inactive,. but it's still being blocked from the internet. 

I think it's time to organize a class action against D-Link, that should get their attention, and light a fire under them to resolve this issue.

I had a conversation with someone from the Federal Trade Commission, and I was told that this type of malicious software does quality as a virus under Federal guidelines, and since D-Link is deliberately distributing it, and embedding it in their hardware, D-Link can be held  liable for damages..

Jim.

Bett0

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »

Please post feedback on the new beta firmware 1.24b01NA for the DIR-628.

Beta access: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=7027.0

sinabu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 06:10:01 PM »

Please post feedback on the new beta firmware 1.24b01NA for the DIR-628.

Beta access: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=7027.0

What about one for the DIR-625 and 625 Rev C we are having the same issues.. Secure Spot wont let us surf regardless if its on or off

jmd9000

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 06:24:58 PM »

I attempted to update my DIR-628 firmware from v1.23NA.  The update process appears to complete successfully, but when I check the version again, it still shows 1.23NA.  Any thoughts on how to validate the firmware was actually updated or if it failed, where a log file may be?

thanks

vvtestboy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »

If you are having problems with securespot after signing up for a trial period, (as in it blocks all internet access until you go in and reset the settings) please send an email to vvtestboy@yahoo.com  I think a class action lawsuit is the way to solve this and retrain DLink, and as soon as we get enough complaintants I'll forward the info to a lawyer and get the ball rolling.

thanks

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 10:52:59 AM »

It seems that Securespot is another "good" reason to "drop" D-Link routers.  I have shelved my DIR-615 and 628 in favor for a Netgear router.  It just plain "works."

NOTE:  Yes, every make / model of router will have some type of problem.  However, since D-link has integrated a "third-party" software, they have lost all respect.   If D-Link can not support the module why include it??? ???
Pages: 1 [2]