• March 28, 2024, 01:50:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Does this device support USB3 hubs + multiple storage devices?  (Read 8993 times)

jxdonline

• Level 1 Member

I've read searching this forum that Shareport supports multiple external storage devices over USB hub and can share them all simultaneously. It would seem logical that this would be true for USB3 on this device also, but I can not find documentation to support this anywhere. ???

I currently have 6 x USB3 3TB HDDs connected to 2 x USB3 hubs on a microcomputer. I don't like having to manage my files on a software OS, I would prefer an embedded NAS solution such as the DIR-857.

In the end, it all comes down to a single blue USB3 cable -- and from what I've read, searching on this forum, Shareport seems to support multiple storage devices being shared simultaneously. But, as the price of this router is not cheap, I really want to make sure this will work prior to making this purchase!

Thanks!!  ;)

Doctor Doom

• Level 3 Member
Re: Does this device support USB3 hubs + multiple storage devices?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:29:43 AM »

Yes, the DIR-857 supports multiple storage devices via USB hub. Just an FYI, even though the router supports USB 3.0 and performs much better than previous generation routers with USB support you will not get 400MB/s as per top speed spec. The router processor can push through roughly 17MB/s read which is more than enough to stream HD and copy files with relative speed. If you were looking to push 100MB/s + similar to a dual core/quad core processor this will not meet your expectations.

Not trying to dissuade you against this router. It's a great router but seeing that you have 18TB of storage you may be pushing large files back and forth on a daily basis and may see some performance issues.

Hope this helps

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:40:14 AM »

Although you are seemingly committed to your storage strategy (i.e. USB), Ethernet is much better suited to pushing/pulling large volumes of data across your LAN.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 07:02:37 AM »

I would also recommend getting a external Gb network switch to help out if your sharing with multiple  wired PCs. They work great and help separate unnecessary router management and processing from the rest of the network.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

jxdonline

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »

Thank you DoctorDoom, JavaLawyer and FurryNutz!

I found DoctorDoom's post especially useful in regards to my questions, however I also appreciate JavaLawyer's advice and FurryNutz's recommendations. These devices are becoming more and more powerful, it's amazing what we take for granted these days compared to what was available 20 years ago =)