• March 28, 2024, 05:47:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Multi-router Home Setup Issues  (Read 12062 times)

Mears148

• Level 1 Member
Multi-router Home Setup Issues
« on: October 26, 2015, 01:16:16 PM »

I see not many people have posted here recently, but I am going to give this a shot anyways. My question is related to have multiple routers and switches in a home network setup with the DGL-5500 as the main router.

It would appear that the DGL-5500 is incapable of identifying source traffic when the device is behind another switch or router. Is this the intended behavior? I bought this router in hopes that it would reduce my latency spikes when saturating my horrible Verizon DSL 3/.75Mbps connection. What i have found is that the firmware on this thing is horrible compared to the ASUS-RTN66U it replaced. The bandwidth monitoring seems to get stuck all the time and the UI is just buggy feeling in general.

So I guess that leads to my next question....seeings how so many of you seem to have moved on, which routers did you upgrade to, and are there any Streamboost competitors out there? I saw Adaptive QoS from ASUS now but not sure it's the same or as effective. Thoughts?

BiggShooter

• Level 3 Member
  • BiggShooter is BACK!
Re: Multi-router Home Setup Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 01:46:33 PM »

I upgraded to the DIR-890L  :) and I've been very happy thus far!  Solid router other than a few "bugs" that need to be squashed  :D

I just "retired" my DGL-5500 less than two weeks ago.  I was using my 5500 as my main router.  I had the DIR-868L connected [via ethernet cable] and used as an Access Point.  I also had a network switch (HP J9449A) connected to the 5500.  Both worked very well.  I had another network switch (HP J9449A) connected to the DIR-868L.  This set up served my home / family very well. 

As for the DGL-5500, it was a solid router, but I feel it fell short of initial expectations as a gaming router.  Some of the firmware versions released were worse than previous versions!  OMG, it was a nightmare for awhile (IMO).   >:(  I'm sure Furry remembers my "rants"  ;D  It seems the latest firmware is probably the last firmware version, maybe not, but I"m guessing it might be.  In regards to the latest firmware, I didn't have any issues.  It was pretty solid for the most part and served my home networking needs.  I have a lot of devices, both wired and wireless, that are part of my home network.  A LOT!  I wasn't having any problems the last few months, but I did have ABE disabled in the router settings.  I'm thinking that saved me some headaches and heartaches.

Back to the 890L.  Wth my ISP speeds being 100 down / 5 up, there's really no need for "streamboost" technology IMO.  I'm hoping an upcoming firmware release for the 890L addresses the QoS issues (not being able to save devices), and the renaming devices issue gets addressed / fixed.  I've put the 890L to the test - gaming (multiplayer) simultaneously using two Xbox One gaming consoles, streaming Netflix via Apple TV, streaming Netflix via Smart TV, browsing the internet, and steaming YouTube.  The 890L DID NOT "cave in".  It continued performing as expected!  I'm 100% completely satisfied with my upgrade to the 890L from the 5500.   ;D

If I could offer a suggestion?  Take a look at the DIR-890L forum.  You'll gather a lot of information (good / bad / indifferent) regarding the router.  Another solid router is the 868L.  Finally, continue to look over the 5500 forum posts.  You'll get a pretty good sense of the issue / problems people were having, as well as some of the positive results the 5500 provided for users.

I hope this helped a little bit.  Furry will chime in, I'm sure!   :)  He's a great resource and helped me all the way back in the DGL-4500 days  :)
My Setup: Cable (200Mbps / 12 Mbps) > Modem (Netgear CM1000) > Router (D-Link DIR-XXXX) > Switch (Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Switch) (HP Pro Curve Switch x2 - J9449-60001)

aka Vigilante

Mears148

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 02:59:14 PM »

Thanks for the insight man. I will take a look at that router for sure. I just got this DGL-5500 cause I found nothing like it for QoS. I just wish it was more consistent with the UI working and not seemingly freezing up. I get weird issues with the speed test failing to execute as well.

Mears148

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 03:19:14 PM »

Oh yea the other issue I seem to be having is device type not being recognized for almost all of my devices. The all look like little Apple TVs, but then the Apple TV doesn't show a device type either....?

BiggShooter

• Level 3 Member
  • BiggShooter is BACK!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »

Oh yea the other issue I seem to be having is device type not being recognized for almost all of my devices. The all look like little Apple TVs, but then the Apple TV doesn't show a device type either....?

Sometimes it takes a bit for the device type to be recognized correctly.  For the most part, after awhile, it gets worked out and most device types get reported correctly.
My Setup: Cable (200Mbps / 12 Mbps) > Modem (Netgear CM1000) > Router (D-Link DIR-XXXX) > Switch (Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Switch) (HP Pro Curve Switch x2 - J9449-60001)

aka Vigilante

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 07:59:04 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

PC Web Browser Configurations
What browser are you using?
Try Opera or FF? If IE 8, 9, 10 or 11, set compatibility mode and test again. (For older generation routers.)
Disable any security browser Add-ons like No Script and Ad-Block or configure them to allow All Pages when connected to the router.
Clear all browser caches.

I just had mine online for about a week or so. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary accept ABE didn't correctly get my 100/3 ISP speed. So I turned ABE OFF.
I use IE or FF for managing the routers web page.

What Mfr and model switches are you using?
Does removing the switches result in any differences?

I see not many people have posted here recently, but I am going to give this a shot anyways. My question is related to have multiple routers and switches in a home network setup with the DGL-5500 as the main router.

It would appear that the DGL-5500 is incapable of identifying source traffic when the device is behind another switch or router. Is this the intended behavior? I bought this router in hopes that it would reduce my latency spikes when saturating my horrible Verizon DSL 3/.75Mbps connection. What i have found is that the firmware on this thing is horrible compared to the ASUS-RTN66U it replaced. The bandwidth monitoring seems to get stuck all the time and the UI is just buggy feeling in general.

So I guess that leads to my next question....seeings how so many of you seem to have moved on, which routers did you upgrade to, and are there any Streamboost competitors out there? I saw Adaptive QoS from ASUS now but not sure it's the same or as effective. Thoughts?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 12:39:52 PM »

Any status on this?  ???

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Mears148

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 08:17:29 AM »

Yea sorry man, been so busy forgot about checking the forums. So I have tried using FF with no adware blocking or any other extensions for that matter. In addition to that I tried using IE 11 in compatibility mode with no other result. I have noticed that the bandwidth monitoring has b come more dependable lately and the overall effectiveness has increased as well, but I still have weird issues where say, my Xbox One is detected as such one day for the type, and the next it's unknown. Apple TV also never shows as anything but unknown, which I find strange as it is a commonly used device. The switches I am using off of the main DGL-5500 are an ASUS RT-N66U and a Netgear ProSafe GS108T. Just to clarify; the Apple TV (4th Gen) is wired directly to the DGL-5500, the Xbox One is wireless 5GHz to the DGL-5500, and my Apple TV (3rd Gen) is wireless to the ASUS RT-N66U. It would seem, looking at the UI right now, that no Apple devices (I have a MBP, iPad Air, two iPhone 6s') are being detected as anything but unknown for device type (strange). Other than that, I am running on firmware version 1.13 14 Jan 2015. Please let me know if you have any ideas what could be going on. Thanks!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 08:25:35 AM »

Have you set up reservations for each of the devices?
Do you have Host Name values entered into each device? I know for xbox you can get a host name. Some devices may not support this.
There has been issues with the router recognizing devices, I believe most Apple devices should be recognized however newer generation may not since FW development has stopped for the most part on the 5500. Find and see if you can fill in any Host Name or device name information and go from there.