• April 16, 2024, 03:54:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Password question / problems.  (Read 5107 times)

DCIFRTHS

• Level 2 Member
Password question / problems.
« on: December 12, 2007, 03:11:36 AM »

Is anyone having a problem when using the "^"  as a character in the password? Hold down the SHIFT key, and press the SIX key to get the "Carrot".

The DIR-655 accepts the Carrot when I enter it in the wireless password field, but I have a Windows XP box that won't connect if the Carrot is part of the password. Has anyone tried this? If so, what OS?

What are the maximum number of characters that can be entered for the ADMIN field in the DIR-655? Are there any restriction on what characters can be used?

Thanks!

heckeljohn

• Level 1 Member
Re: Password question / problems.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 04:58:21 AM »

Password for what?  WEP, WPA PSK, Web Admin, or Pin?
XP treats network key input as WEP Open by default, and so it might complain if it isn't alphanumeric.  Try input in the advanced wireless settings by editing the properties of the wlan in the preferred networks list and selecting the type of encryption before entering the password...
I couldn't connect to my Wlan using XP with WPA-Personal until I manually changed the settings for encryption on the WLAN properties in the preferred networks list.  For some reason, every time I scanned for available networks and hit connect (XP's Auto connect attempt), the network key wouldn't work.

ddwinell

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 08:01:35 AM »

What version firmware, what type of security?

ddwinell

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:39:12 AM »

Vista supports use of Tab, Tilde carrot and other characters for use in a WPA password.

XP however, does not.