• March 28, 2024, 09:54:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Media Server Connection Issues After Movie Playback  (Read 36594 times)

DSM-510 Denmark

• Level 1 Member
Re: Media Server Connection Issues After Movie Playback
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2008, 08:41:29 AM »

I have the same problem:

I have tryed: Twonky, TVersity; WMP 11 and DLink Media Server with my DSM-510 ... and it plays Video, Audio and pictures ...

But after a while ... when I wonna change an album (audio) ... everything is gryed out ...

>:(

I had the DSM-320 ... with no problems.

It´s a thing inside the DSM-510 ... some kind of timeout I think? Network timeout?

The Screensaver-timeout? ...

I´m on firmware 1.08 (europa) and I have a XP Proff. with SP 3.

Im using wireless connection. (with a DI 634M) ... network is just running and running.

Everythin else is running.

What can I do?

I have Symantec Antivirus ver. 10.1.5.5000 ...

Kind Regards
Pierre

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:14:52 AM by DSM-510 Denmark »

jetalis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 01:02:33 PM »

I also had this problem when on Wireless, unless the video is *really* short.
(I THINK I remember playing a short one alright. it's been months since I kicked WiFi to the curb)
No PC involved. DNS323 NAS to a DSM510 Player through a Netgear WNR854t router.

I was assuming it had something to do with wireless having less bandwidth and the DSM510 not having some kind of "keepalive" communication so the UPNP server hiccups?
but I suppose that could only be true if upnp servers require separate simultaneous connections for menu/etc as for the media streams...?

-OR- ?the limited bandwidth of a Wireless connection (after enough time elapsed) triggers some kind of "upnp streamed error message" from upnp server that the 510 just doesn't know how to display? after all, a PC can multitask and show you errors while in playback, but a little device like the 510 probably only does one "app" at a time??

I think it's more likely the problem is internal to the DSM510, maybe just losing track of the server right as the video ends. Bad Code in re-displaying cached connection info?? Switching from "Player" mode to "Directory list" mode broken when using wireless adapter?

either way, it works fine (relatively) when wired, but no more than one video at a time wireless. so D-Link is basically forcing me to string ethernet all over the house, across doorways and up&down halls. (FireCode violations, anyone?)

DNS-323
Netgear WNR854t
DSM-510
"Static DHCP"

Alim

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »

I also has this problem, but with picture slideshows.
I bought the DSM-510 a few weeks ago primarily to watch my holiday pictures on the TV, wireless.
I also have some mp3 music which is nice to use as background music.

I use a DI-524 router and a DNS-323 NAS unit, but I've given up using the 323 as uPNp server since it refuses to open the folders with my pictures (in total around 10 000 divided into subfolders).
So I switched to use Windows Media Player 11 as server on Windows Vista Home Premium.
After a registry patch (that I found in this forum) I got WMP11 to display the files on the DNS-323 in DSM-510. I'm using wireless with WEP enabled.

If I start playing some mp3 music as background, and then "back"  and starts a slideshow with pictures the slideshow gives up after around 100 pictures and the filenames are greyed out.
The music however continues to play just fine, from the same WMP11 server, from the same DNS323 via Vista.

When I go back to the server menu, "starts the server again", aborts, and then do refresh (following another tip in this forum), the server becomes available again and I can go to the pictures and restart a slide show again. After another 100 pictures it stops again, but the music still plays on.

This is driving me nuts.
If I use my laptop on the same wireless connection at the same location as the TV it works just fine, displaying a 5 star rating for signal strength on the wireless connection.

Are there any new resolution tips available ?

Smartarray

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 05:38:22 AM »

DSM 510 - Wireless (Netgear N series) WEP. One movie, especially after 60 minutes, Media Server no longer available, latest 1.08 firmware. Total refresh required to show file lists again.
Wired appears to be fine.

Isn't a firmware fix available for this as yet its definitely within the 510, even my old DSM 320 doesn't give this amount of grief..!

jimea

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 05:15:05 AM »

Same here. After watching something over 20-30 minutes, the list is greyed out, when I return to the menu, and I have to restart the 510...

Not really that much of a hassle, but still annoying.

Wireless, TVersity.

hackkira

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 12:58:50 AM »

Make abiding all you antennas are positioned accurately (straight up if it is a individual alien antenna device) and analysis your wireless ambiance is the DSM-520 aural band of afterimage with the router, and abolish ability to an 2.4 Ghz cordless phones. if you have to go through bank accomplish abiding you do not go through any mirrors, angle tanks, or Appliances this will all stop or reflect the wireless signal. If you DSM-520 is on addition attic accomplish abiding the router is on the basal attic broadcasting.

DSM-User-MW

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 10:19:12 PM »

One and half years later with new firmware 1.08, PROBLEM PERSISTS AND STILL HAPPENS...strange??????

schauol1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 01:40:38 AM »

:-[
Now it is 2010 and the Problem still exists.

Tried it with a Vista-Machine running Mediaplayer as the Server and tried it with my QNAP NAS running Twonky. Both "lose" connection to the server after some Time. You don't have to do anything. It doesn't matter if you are watching a movie or just jump around in the menues. If you watch a movie, the movie itself is streamed completely, even the server-list is "greyed" out. so it looks like the connection itself stays up.

You D-Link guys realy have to solve this issue. Even it's a rather old device, it is still on Sale in stores.

Oliver

schauol1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 03:17:54 AM »

Guys,

If you're using a D-Link Wireless-Router and having this Problem, try disabling "DNS Relay" in your Router-Settings. This setting is causing a lot of D-Link routers to hang, and it might as well be the cause for the Problem here... I tried it at home but couldn't test it long enough... I'll get back here and tell you if it worked.

edit: No avail. The Router stopped from losing connections itself, but the DSM-510 still loses connection to the Router. Looks like I'm gonna switch for a BoxOffice or even a PopcornHour.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:18:07 AM by schauol1 »
Pages: 1 2 [3]