• April 26, 2024, 04:39:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Connecting to the PSNetwork (PS3)  (Read 15993 times)

Hard Harry

Re: Connecting to the PSNetwork (PS3)
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 08:09:47 PM »

Ok, lets call Dlink on this one. Misinformation like this pisses me off. Happen to get a name of who you talked too? Maybe I will call them up and see if they still agree with this assessment.

You don't want a manual(AKA static) IP for the router. If I had to guess, you probably have a phone modem or some other device with a battery backup, and the power cycle didn't properly register the router MAC for a new IP lease with the DHCP server. Or some other connectivity issue. But saying you need a static IP is like saying you need to buy a diesel car because you ran out of gas. Its wrong and shows a general lack of networking knowledge on behalf of the Representative. I apologize on their behalf.

LookIntoMyEyees

• Level 5 Member
  • Let me lend you a hand & solutions shall follow.
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 08:40:43 PM »

What was I thinking when I said "modem assigns to the router which I believe should be static by default? Not to sure.." So Harry my question to you is, does the modem assign a new IP address every time it is rebooted? or once rebooted it comes back with the same IP address, but with cleared DHCP settings etc. One can not know it all :)

--
Chris
Did I Help? If So, Say So! ShHHhh!, Just LookIntoMyEyees! No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.

Hard Harry

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 09:50:53 PM »

Lime, LOL. My rage wasn't directed towards you at all, and I shouldn't have raged in general, its just stuff like pushes my buttons. I don't like when someone passes the buck, you know?

Anyway, the IP that the router gets from the modem is called the "CPE IP" or customer premise equipment. For most ISP's using a standard cable modem, this IP is dynamic and changes often. How often it changes depends on alot of things. First, each IP on a DHCP network has what is called a lease, or time the DHCP server allows that IP on the network without a renewal. On most network it's 24 to 48hours. The DHCP server in the 4500 is set to 1440 min, or 24 hours by default. When that time ends, the computer must talk to the DHCP server, and ask for permission to renew the lease. The server asks around, sees if anyone has picked up the IP between the time it expired and the time the computer asked for a new one (or if it has to reject it for other reasons, but that gets complicated) then it renews it. Since most computers ask for a new IP right when the lease is up, the server has no reason to deny the request. Complicated stuff comes in because the server could be backed up, or the node may have changed, etc. To put simply, sometimes your DHCP IP lasts 24 hours..sometimes it can last years. Usually atleast a couple of weeks.

Now, one shouldn't confuse the IP the computer gets from the DHCP server "through" the modem, and the IP the modem itself gets assigned. That is also dynamic, but with a much longer lease time. I highly doabt that IP would change often enough to cause any issues. Also, it shouldn't be confused with the static IP's the router itself can hand out using it's own DHCP server, and not the one in the ISP.

MonStar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 02:02:13 AM »

I didn't read all of the replies. I got to the part where you said something like, "when you play multiplayer and then switch to single player and then try to play multiplayer again is where you have problems".

Did you guys tell him about the "DHCP" feature? I haven't looked at the help menu in a while. So don't quote me on this.
DHCP feature has something to do with a time limit measured in minutes. Something like 1440.
I remember having troubles surfing the web after a while until I configured my DHCP for my laptop.
Pages: 1 2 [3]