• March 28, 2024, 08:03:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Firmware Update  (Read 3341 times)

Mymgb

• Level 1 Member
Firmware Update
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »

Can the firmware on the 933L be updated remotely or does the camera have to be connected to a computer or does it have to be upgraded through a router?

Cheers....

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Firmware Update
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:58:48 PM »

Technically, the firmware can be updated remotely through mydlink, which will instantiate a direct upload of the firmware from D-Link to the router. I personally perform all updates locally by downloading the firmware to a local PC and manually uploading to the camera to minimize any potential network disruptions that may cause the firmware update to fail midstream.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Mymgb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 05:10:12 AM »

Oh, I understand. I was hoping to be able to leave the camera mounted but think better of it after your reply. Thank you

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 07:47:13 AM »

I've used the direct update from mydlink once to see if the update completed properly, which it did. I always use a wired connection wherever possible, especially for out of warranty cameras. Under the right circumstances, an interrupted firmware update can render a camera unusable.

Mymgb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »

That would be bad.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 06:16:20 AM »

Either method will work, just use your best judgement. IMHO, the more control you have over the upgrade process, the better. Storing the firmware locally removes any dependencies on the Internet. Using a wired connection, further removes any dependencies on maintaining a persistent wireless connection on your LAN.

In either case, if you choose to upgrade your firmware, (1) make sure the power connections to the network camera, router, and host PC are well seated, and (2) if you are using a wireless connection, make sure the signal is strong enough to support the file transfer.