• April 19, 2024, 01:04:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Individually Mapping Drives  (Read 8051 times)

bedbod

• Level 1 Member
Individually Mapping Drives
« on: December 10, 2008, 01:56:51 AM »

Hi,

I am having a few issues with getting my drives mapped, and accessing them from the network.

I originally installed a 1Tb Seagate HDD in standard form which had a few issues with being mapped, but after a few formats, and changing from EX3 to EX2 it worked fine. Mapped ok, and transferred files.

I added a further Samsung 400Gb HDD today in Standard form, and it formatted ok, but once the NAS reset, I could only see and map the new drive. It still says the Seagate drive is still connected, but as far as it is concerned, its a newly installed drive. I have not formatted this again, but I cant see why I cannot access it.

I can access the new Samsung drive perfectly though.

Help!!!

Thanks
Toddy

bedbod

• Level 1 Member
Re: Individually Mapping Drives
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:20:34 AM »

I also just ripped out the Seagate drive, and got a EX2 driver for vista, and all the data is still there, so I dont think I have accidentaly formatted it again.

Wierd

bedbod

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »

Ok, after a few days of mucking around with it, I still cant get any more than 1 drive going at once.

One drive works perfectly, but soon as you put a second drive in and format it, it wont even talk to the first drive, and thinks that the original drive is a new one. And around and around it goes.

If I put either drive in by itself, and any of the 4 slots, then it works fine and comes up as volume_1. All the original data is still there. Its only when you put a second drive in it.

Up until the reset after the format, the original drive is fine, and maps fine too.

Is it the fact that the 343 labels both my drives volume_1?

Thanks
Toddy

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 02:18:33 PM »

When you added you second drive did the first drive remain in the unit and you were prompt to format the second drive? Did it ask if you wanted to format the drive as a RAID1 configuration? Are you using the top 2 bays?

Have you tried backing up you data and just formatting both drive again and verify they both complete properly?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

MikeR2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:26:08 PM »

Toddy,

I have a ticket open with D-Link on this issue.

My concern is losing data on the first drive when formatting the second.
Since the UI is unclear (in fact says you will lose data on ALL drives), I
formatted the new drive by itself in bay one. When I put the old drive
back in, it still sees only the drive in bay one, regardless of which drive
is in there.

Did you lose your data in the old drive?
Were you showing the "add new drive" page on the web UI with only
your old drive showing? Were you formatting your new drive with the
old one present?

Thanks,

Mike

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:21:39 AM »

When I first purchased my DNS343 I did the same thing you described -- i.e. removed my hdd with data from slot 1 and placed a new hdd in the same slot for formatting (to avoid accidental data loss).

This is just a guess, but I believe the DNS343 automatically names each drive during formatting based on it's slot location.  If you have hdd1 formatted in slot 1, the hdd will be named "Volume_1".  The second drive you formatted in slot 1 will also have the same name "Volume_1" which causes a conflict, so only one drive is recognized.

Can someone from DLink validate or refute this?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »

You are going to want to place your first drive in the top bay 1 and format. Then when you add a second drive just place it into the next bay and so on for each new drive added. There is no need to remove a drive once inserted it and formated.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 05:40:00 AM »

You are going to want to place your first drive in the top bay 1 and format. Then when you add a second drive just place it into the next bay and so on for each new drive added. There is no need to remove a drive once inserted it and formated.

I often remove data HDDs from my PC or NAS when formatting new HDDs to avoid an accidental erasure of the wrong volume.  If the data volume isn't mounted during formatting, then there is no chance of losing information.   I understand that "there is no need to remove a drive..." but my questions is whether the following practice causes a conflict:

Will formatting multiple HDDs in the same DNS343 slot (e.g. slot 1) and then distributing the newly formatted drives in all 4 slots cause a conflict due to the DNS naming convention?  In other words, would all four volumes be assigned the same name: "Volume_1", therefore preventing mapping all four HDDs to a client PC?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 11:51:37 AM »

I believe bay1 (the top bay) drive will always be named volume_1 and bay2 Volume_2 regardless of the bay it was formatted in. There for if you are using standard drives and not any type of RAID this should not be an issue. However this is not a supported practice and i have not tested this personally.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 12:26:42 PM »

I can tell you from testing this, that the DNS343 does not recognize HDDs that are formatted in slot-1 and moved to another slot for mounting (yes, all of the slots are filled with drives - i.e. no empty slots).  The HDD must be placed in the slot that it was formatted in to work properly.  If the HDD is placed in any other slot, the firmware says that the drive needs to be reformatted and it doesn't show up as mounted on the "status" tab.

Ultimately I was forced to format new HDDs with my other existing data HDDs also mounted.

The only exception to this is if there is only 1 HDD in the 343 - then the 343 will read the drive just fine.  As soon as another drive is mounted that was also formatted in the same slot, only one drive will work properly (leading me to believe that the drive ID is hard-wired to the slot it was formatted in).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:29:18 PM by JavaLawyer »