• March 28, 2024, 04:42:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Recording Cycle Limits and Premature Overwriting  (Read 10374 times)

krogers

• Level 1 Member
Recording Cycle Limits and Premature Overwriting
« on: August 08, 2014, 12:11:23 PM »

Setup
Cam: DCS-2330L, HW: A1, FW: 1.01.06
Router: DIR-880L
External HDD via USB 3.0 on the router: Seagate 1 TB

The issue: I set my "Total cycling recording size" in the recording section to 200GB (=200,000MB), the files overwrite after ONE 50MB recording.  I called tech support and they suggested maxing it out and setting the "Total cycling recording size" to 2 TB (even though I only want/need 200GB of recording at any given time).

Well, this DID fix the issue, it's filling up the external hard drive, but now I am concerned because it won't stop at 200GB since the cycle is now at 2 TB.  With it limited at 200GB I should have around 4,000 videos @ 50MB each. I have other things on this hard drive that I don't want to be hindered due to excessive recordings. Any ideas? 

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Recording Cycle Limits and Premature Overwriting
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 02:01:51 PM »

Maybe they are off by a factor of 10

krogers

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »

I thought about that and tried several different numbers and anything except the maximim 2 TB (2000000 MB) auto-deletes after one 50 MB clip.  Besides, 200GB off by a factor of 10 would still be enough to hold more  than one file.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:42:57 PM by krogers »

cmontyburns

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »

There was a bug in this area with the 2332 and apparently it has carried over to the 2330.  Glad to see D-Link's lousy software standards are still in place.  Basically the cycling recording doesn't work.  It'll just keep writing until it takes all available space on your drive and then fail until you clean up after it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:09:11 PM by cmontyburns »

krogers

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I will just have to login weekly and delete the files. Great!  :-\

tunnsie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 12:38:28 PM »

Tried the "chat" option and I have a bruise from my face palm this was so bad.

Here is the chat session, it speaks for itself:
=====================================================================================================
[Bill] The DCS-2330L has a known bug regarding the "Total cycling recording size:  Mbytes [200~2000000]" setting. This is a known bug in the DLINK community. The latest firmware does not fix this issue. Would like to know when this will be addressed. The issue is random sized cycling depending on the setting. Have never been able to get any consistency and largest file size to be cycle has been 120 Mbytes regardless of the setting. Also cannot send support and email as the website for this on DLINK is broken
[Jatin] Thank you for contacting D-Link Technical Support, my name is Jatin, I will be assisting you today.
[Bill] Hi Jatin, perhaps just a whinny comment on my part and I know there is not much you can do but I'm wondering if there is a way to officialy report a bug
[Bill] The overwrite capability of the 2330l does not work properly
[Bill] Anything less that 2 T will give random and very small recycling
[Jatin] By default the maximum size is up to 100 to 5000kbytes
[Bill] This is a direct copy of the setting page
[Bill] Total cycling recording size: Mbytes [200~2000000]
[Bill] 100 Kbytes would be usless are we talking about the same thing? This is for data recycling on SAMBA
[Jatin] The larger file can not be done
[Bill] 100 k would not even be a picture
[Jatin] If there will be any update it will be updated on the Dlink website support@dlink.ca

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 12:51:24 PM »

We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email or chat.  Ask for level 2 or higher support.

Tried the "chat" option and I have a bruise from my face palm this was so bad.

Here is the chat session, it speaks for itself:
=====================================================================================================
[Bill] The DCS-2330L has a known bug regarding the "Total cycling recording size:  Mbytes [200~2000000]" setting. This is a known bug in the DLINK community. The latest firmware does not fix this issue. Would like to know when this will be addressed. The issue is random sized cycling depending on the setting. Have never been able to get any consistency and largest file size to be cycle has been 120 Mbytes regardless of the setting. Also cannot send support and email as the website for this on DLINK is broken
[Jatin] Thank you for contacting D-Link Technical Support, my name is Jatin, I will be assisting you today.
[Bill] Hi Jatin, perhaps just a whinny comment on my part and I know there is not much you can do but I'm wondering if there is a way to officialy report a bug
[Bill] The overwrite capability of the 2330l does not work properly
[Bill] Anything less that 2 T will give random and very small recycling
[Jatin] By default the maximum size is up to 100 to 5000kbytes
[Bill] This is a direct copy of the setting page
[Bill] Total cycling recording size: Mbytes [200~2000000]
[Bill] 100 Kbytes would be usless are we talking about the same thing? This is for data recycling on SAMBA
[Jatin] The larger file can not be done
[Bill] 100 k would not even be a picture
[Jatin] If there will be any update it will be updated on the Dlink website support@dlink.ca
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

SergeGardien

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 02:34:55 AM »

I've just bought a DCS-2332L and I confirm this bug still exist with firmware 1.07.00.
The only way to make partially working is by setting 2000000 MB (=2TB) in the "Total cycling recording size", in that way the camera records a new video file on the hard-drive (NAS in my case) and doesn't delete the last recorded file. I haven't tested the behavior in case the NAS gets completely filled.

It's pretty annoying that it has been known for long on the D-Link Official Forum, it has also been reported to the D-Link Tech Support and they haven't solved it.

It's pretty basic stuffs to manage under SAMBA: the IP Camera has read/write control over the specified folder on the shared Disk (NAS or whatever) and you monitor the folder size, as soon as you hit the "Total cycling recording size" specified value you delete the oldest file/s in the folder structure.

I've been quite moron to buy such a camera before making any due diligence, I've simply trusted the product web page with the listed product features.

This function is quite fundamental for everybody looking to build a solid homemade videosurveillance system so I would guess that Capitalism will make its due course and D-Link IP Cams suffering such issue will get out of market with such a negligent and unsavvy approach.

I underline the fact that I've tested 3 different solutions to record video data on my NAS:
1) DCS-2332L built in function to record on a NAS via SAMBA (config page -> Setup -> Event Setup -> Recording)
2) D-Link D-ViewCam Software: requires a Windows OS running to record the data on an hard disk
3) QNAP (NAS Hardware Manufacturer) "Surveillance Station" Application with my QNAP NAS: it gives the possibility to add only 2 free IP Cams (depending on the NAS model), if you want to add more you need to buy a license (which is prorated to the number of cams you want to add)

I've opted for solutions (1) because I don't want to pay for QNAP Surveillance Station licenses and I don't want to have any PC turned on to record my IP Cams data.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:52:21 AM by FurryNutz »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 11:01:11 AM »

Since your concerns (satisfaction and otherwise) extend beyond the reach of this forum, I recommend contacting D-Link Technical Support, I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email. While posting issues in this forum is a great means of sharing information with other members and notifying D-Link of issues, D-Link escalates issues for resolution based on the volume of calls received through the official D-Link support desk. If D-Link receives a large number of calls pertaining to the same issue, that issue is more likely to be escalated as a problem for investigation and resolution. As such, in addition to posting issues in this forum, forum members are encouraged to call the toll free D-Link support desk to report their issue: 1-888-851-6464.

I've just bought a DCS-2332L and I confirm this bug still exist with firmware 1.07.00.
The only way to make partially working is by setting 2000000 MB (=2TB) in the "Total cycling recording size", in that way the camera records a new video file on the hard-drive (NAS in my case) and doesn't delete the last recorded file. I haven't tested the behavior in case the NAS gets completely filled.

It's pretty annoying that it has been known for long on the D-Link Official Forum, it has also been reported to the D-Link Tech Support and they haven't solved it.

It's pretty basic stuffs to manage under SAMBA: the IP Camera has read/write control over the specified folder on the shared Disk (NAS or whatever) and you monitor the folder size, as soon as you hit the "Total cycling recording size" specified value you delete the oldest file/s in the folder structure.

I've been quite moron to buy such a camera before making any due diligence, I've simply trusted the product web page with the listed product features.

This function is quite fundamental for everybody looking to build a solid homemade videosurveillance system so I would guess that Capitalism will make its due course and D-Link IP Cams suffering such issue will get out of market with such a negligent and unsavvy approach.

I underline the fact that I've tested 3 different solutions to record video data on my NAS:
1) DCS-2332L built in function to record on a NAS via SAMBA (config page -> Setup -> Event Setup -> Recording)
2) D-Link D-ViewCam Software: requires a Windows OS running to record the data on an hard disk
3) QNAP (NAS Hardware Manufacturer) "Surveillance Station" Application with my QNAP NAS: it gives the possibility to add only 2 free IP Cams (depending on the NAS model), if you want to add more you need to buy a license (which is prorated to the number of cams you want to add)

I've opted for solutions (1) because I don't want to pay for QNAP Surveillance Station licenses and I don't want to have any PC turned on to record my IP Cams data.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:04:33 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.