• March 28, 2024, 03:24:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Did anyone have any trouble after updating to 1.04  (Read 38470 times)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Did anyone have any trouble after updating to 1.04
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 04:45:12 PM »

Hey guys, are you asking DLink to solve the printer server problem???

Just a joke, I was exploitive deleted someone to put the blame at MS since Wndows can not print from DNS-323 with FW1.4. Or do I need a Mac?

Now being serious. Please guys at DLink, can we have FW 1.5 with a better Samba (printer server) and well tested before realease? Clear the queue is just a turn around and does not work with the 5 different printers that I tested.

Thanks

Look four posts above yours - I have no problem printing from Windows (XP) using either 1.03 or 1.04
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

zehninguem

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 07:52:54 PM »

Soory forbem but looks like you are the only one, plz see all other posts of lots o people.\I'm glad for you but DLink should provide us something that work for all other users that had printers working with 1.3

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 04:19:32 AM »

Try this

a) Install the printer directly connected to your Windows system, make sure it works
b) Disconnect the printer from the Windows system and connect it to the DNS-323
c) Open the printer properties, select the ports tab, then add a new local port, name it \\<DNS-323_ip_address>\lp

Try printing to it - what happens?

zehninguem

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 06:52:21 AM »

I will give it a try tonight and let you know.

Thanks a lot

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 03:11:32 PM »

Just in case anyone is interested - I borrowed my son's laptop (Vista Business), and using the instructions I provided above, I have been able to print to my Samsung ML1210 through the DNS-323 with firmware v1.04.

I have been able to print to a printer attached to the DNS-323 running firmware 1.04, from both XP Professional & Vista Business
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:24:07 PM by fordem »

riopato

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2008, 06:12:04 PM »

Any files I add now to my ftp folder can no longer be accessed outside my network. Keep getting an error saying that I don't have the required permissions. I can see the folders but I can't download anything inside it. I'm afraid to reconfigure the ftp server for fear that I will not be able to access the rest of my files! >:(

mbelli

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 11:55:37 PM »

I had my FTP server running great until I installed 1.04, then had some issues regarding file and folder permissions on the FTP server.

I reset up the server from scratch but still was getting weird stuff from IE or Firefox using ftp://myIP#. After two hours of scratching my head I remember that I didn't reformat my drives because from firmware 1.03 to this, I read it wasn't necessary. I decided to reformat the drives after having exhausted every other solution to the problem and was convinced that I'd have to go back to 1.03. BUT AFTER A REFORMAT -- all was perfect again.

BTW, I find 1.04 much better, it seems snappier and the drives on the DNS-323 are more responsive!!!! Example, when writing to a drive on the DNS-323 (copying a file) if I tried to change the name of a folder on the same drive, the DNS-323 would stall and take like 20 seconds to make the name change (due to the fact stuff was being copied to the drive). Now there's no stalling and the name change happens almost instantly.

mcalautt

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2008, 01:32:34 PM »

I am currently on Firmware Version: 1.03.
Dlinks site claims u need to move all your data and reformat the drives after the update.
I cant do that. thats the reason i bought the 323 for more space. I dont have any place to move the data to

I have it as a raid1 config but im not sure how my drives are formated. I assume they are not ext2
because I have it mapped to a linux machine  as CIFS.  I have a linux machine and 2 vista machines attached to my dns-323

can I just update to 1.04 without reformatting the drives ?

riopato

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 05:21:04 PM »

I had my FTP server running great until I installed 1.04, then had some issues regarding file and folder permissions on the FTP server.

I reset up the server from scratch but still was getting weird stuff from IE or Firefox using ftp://myIP#. After two hours of scratching my head I remember that I didn't reformat my drives because from firmware 1.03 to this, I read it wasn't necessary. I decided to reformat the drives after having exhausted every other solution to the problem and was convinced that I'd have to go back to 1.03. BUT AFTER A REFORMAT -- all was perfect again.

BTW, I find 1.04 much better, it seems snappier and the drives on the DNS-323 are more responsive!!!! Example, when writing to a drive on the DNS-323 (copying a file) if I tried to change the name of a folder on the same drive, the DNS-323 would stall and take like 20 seconds to make the name change (due to the fact stuff was being copied to the drive). Now there's no stalling and the name change happens almost instantly.

I've notice an improvement in file transfers also and streaming via browser as well. If anything there has been an increase in performance especially after vistas sp1 update.
What I had to do to get around the permissions issue was to reset up the users and group section and reactivate the ftp server with the new settings. Looks like users has to have a group now in order for the ftp to work. I assume this has something to do with the new folder hierarchy. I also had to change the name of my dns since it doesn't accept numbers as the first character in the name???
There was still some random files that had permission issues but the weird thing was all I had to do was copy the files either on my computer or on the dns itself. Luckily I still had space to do this on my dns which is the fastest way to do this. For some reason the permissions were corrected and the ftp is working the same way since firmware 1.03 but now with improved transfer speeds! Also I turned off some of the vista related features on the dns but don't know if that has any affect to the way it works.
I think the permissions issues is due to the way the dns works with vista since certain security settings don't even exisits with xp??? Anyone out there is only using win xp and the dns-323 and has this trouble?

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 07:31:23 PM »

Dlinks site claims u need to move all your data and reformat the drives after the update.
I cant do that. thats the reason i bought the 323 for more space. I dont have any place to move the data to

I have it as a raid1 config but im not sure how my drives are formated. I assume they are not ext2
because I have it mapped to a linux machine  as CIFS.  I have a linux machine and 2 vista machines attached to my dns-323

I believe you have misread the quote on the DNS-323 support site. We do not require you to format your drives UNLESS you are upgrading from 1.00 or 1.01 firmware. Upgrading from 1.03 to 1.04 will not require you to format however you should always keep backups of your most important data in multiple locations.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 08:32:31 PM »

To answer your question - you can upgrade to 1.04 without formatting the drives IF they were originally formatted ext2 - you may not get the benefit of unicode, but you may not need it.

Now - what your drives are mapped as has no relevance to how they are formatted - they ARE formatted either ext2 or ext3, they are exported as CIFS, so they are mapped as CIFS

Last - you don't have the space to move your data, that's why you bought the DNS-323 - consider this - you have no backup (RAID1 is not a backup).  Place a value on that data - $100, $200, $300?  How much will it cost you for the additional space?  It's your data, it's your money.

mcalautt

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2008, 04:58:29 PM »

I actually use the raid1 323 as my backup.

so I backup my laptop, wifes laptop and my linux machine to the 323.

the raid1 is for obvious reasons.

I cant remember if I used ext2 or 3.
is there anyway to determine ?

thanks for the help
mike

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2008, 12:22:32 PM »

mcalautt, just curious, what is the "obvious reasons" you run RAID1 on the
storage device you place your backups?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2008, 01:13:30 PM »

Because raid 1 offers redundancy in case of a failed drive one would assume.
non progredi est regredi

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2008, 04:24:49 PM »

Because raid 1 offers redundancy in case of a failed drive one would assume.

So - what we have are redundant backups eh?  Personally, I would rather have the redundancy on the primary storage
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4