• March 28, 2024, 10:28:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: My Dlink Home App -end of serves - lawful?  (Read 10182 times)

Richpat

• Level 2 Member
My Dlink Home App -end of serves - lawful?
« on: January 19, 2022, 08:28:07 PM »

To all the my Dlink home app user:

The end of service of the apps makes all my Dlink devices unusable, even though I mostly use Alexia instead of the APPS to control them.

The APPS is the major component of the product package (hardware and software together), ending the software part basically make the product unusable.

I am wondering if it breaks any US law, ie "The right to repair" movement.

It is a good example to let consumer to know, if the manufacture end its cloud service  support, all your cameras, switches and plugs will become rubbish.

Another disappointment from Dlink.

lazaris

• Level 1 Member
Re: My Dlink Home App -end of serves - lawful?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 02:12:22 PM »

I totally agree. There should at least be a petition for that awful decision! D-Link should at least provide a migration service to the new mydlink cloud or even Smartthings. Otherwise, why should anyone purchase a D-Link product anymore? In my opinion mydlink home was even superior to the new mydlink in terms of speed, simplicity and ease of use. Also, Alexa integration worked flawlessly. Maybe we should gather here all alternative solutions that help maintaining functionality in their products. There are examples in Home Assistant, Smartthings, OpenWRT and more.

kasovnik

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 10:59:36 AM »

I'm with you.
Now I'm planning to start whole-selling at least the smart plugs since I have quite a few of them.
That's just ridiculous, I''ll never ever buy a d-link stuff for home automation.
I mean I don't mind to have newer products, but what d-link is offering now has nothing close to the functionality of the old devices:

- the door sensors and motion sensors have temperature measurement, which for me is a perfect addition to the main features.
- the smart plugs have temperature protection of the pins
- the wifi siren can announce event that happens on other site, or has a different sounds for a different rules you created   

Do the current devices have those features?

I would also insist to migrate  to a new server, or at least to unlock some sort of local control outside of the cloud. Otherwise the devices are completely dead, and no app will handle notifications or give access to check the live data.
Would even accept this to be an annual paid service for this EOL products etc. This way I wouldn't need to change the whole thing only 'cause the severs are doomed to death by someone. 
All other external  ways of usage are not 100% sufficient.
May be also the IFFT support will drop?
What if some letter of customer's offense would be a matter of care form the vendor?
The 935 LH camera at least will be possible to use in a local network with VLC/iSpy etc with the last valid wifi configuration.
The 935L model should continue to work with the other apps, in the newer cloud I  hope. This model works with all apps I've tested: mydlink lite/ mydlink+/ mydlink home and mydlink (the last one, which still  have bugs).

kasovnik

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 11:40:03 PM »

Does anybody knows whether the DCS-935LH can be flashed by some way with the DCS-935L firmware through the safe room?
And if DCS-935LH has safe room at all?