• March 18, 2024, 09:51:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS ShareCenter - Should I Upload the Latest Firmware?  (Read 8141 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
DNS ShareCenter - Should I Upload the Latest Firmware?
« on: September 09, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »

Determining whether to update your ShareCenter firmware is not a subject to be taken lightly, especially if your ShareCenter contains critical data that you cannot afford to lose or you cannot afford any ShareCenter downtime. If your ShareCenter is the only location for your data, performing a firmware update (especially one that is not needed) will unnecessarily place your data in jeopardy. Always think twice before deciding whether to commit to new firmware.

Valid Reasons to Update ShareCenter Firmware

• The firmware corrects a critical bug or defect impacting ShareCenter data integrity
  • The firmware significantly improves ShareCenter stability
  • The firmware contains new functionality, without which you cannot use the ShareCenter for its intended purpose
  • The firmware significantly improves performance, without which you cannot get the most from the ShareCenter

Reasons NOT to Update ShareCenter Firmware

• The firmware is the "latest and greatest"
  • The firmware contains new functionality that you do not need or do not intend to use
  • The firmware contains new fixes bugs/defects that don't impact your ShareCenter stability or performance
  • You like testing new firmware

Note: If you do elect to upgrade your firmware, make a full backup of your data to a separate physical storage device.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:40:09 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC